Status
Not open for further replies.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Had its moments. But the best part, really, was when they all busted out w/ "Age of Aquarius" at the end.

I haven't seen Hair in a long time, and now I've got myself a hankerin' for some hardcore hirsutification.

... I really don't know why I started this thread.

Enjoy.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What was the significance of the song? Because if he was 40, he would only have been three or so when that song came out and hardly something they'd sing because they remembered it as popular with thier age group.

Sidebar: Haven't seen the movie.

Did he stop being a virgin at the end? I guess they could be singing is because of the free love aspect. *shrugs*

My favorite Hair song was, um, well, I can't sing it in mixed company. :) But as kids we used to sing it when our parents weren't around.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I'm 42 and I know the song "Aquarius." Doesn't mean I learned the words when the movie came out.

(Besides that .....nobody knows all the words to that song. Only the chorus.)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score

If the record's playing, I can sing along to both chorus and verse, so there.

If ya wanna see it, Zach, Hair's showing in Toronto. (As live theatre, not a movie.)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
eldragon said:
I'm 42 and I know the song "Aquarius." Doesn't mean I learned the words when the movie came out.

Well, that was sort of my point. It was a hit song in the late 60s, but it wouldn't have resonated the same with a three-year-old as it would have someone older who was paying attention to music at the time.

For instance, we used to carry little transistor radios around in elementary school and listen to the Top 40 radio station across the street. (WOKY mighty 92!)

In my mind, Aquarius would have as much "meaning" to a 40 year old, or you, as say "Teen Angel" would with me. I know the song, but it came out several years before I became musically aware.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Hair by accident. My friend was taking me to a movie for my birthday. We couldn't find the movie theatre (we weren't familiar with London) so when we walked by a theatre where a matinee of Hair was about to start, we went in. There were only a handful of people in the audience. It was an altogether weird experience.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Well, that was sort of my point. It was a hit song in the late 60s, but it wouldn't have resonated the same with a three-year-old as it would have someone older who was paying attention to music at the time.

For instance, we used to carry little transistor radios around in elementary school and listen to the Top 40 radio station across the street. (WOKY mighty 92!)

In my mind, Aquarius would have as much "meaning" to a 40 year old, or you, as say "Teen Angel" would with me. I know the song, but it came out several years before I became musically aware.

Oh come on now, didn't your parents leave you with 'hip' babysitters who would turn on the good tunes as soon as they left? I remember one girl...Delores Crawford who used to bring her 45's over and as soon as my parents were gone, she'd put them on and we'd sing and dance.......

( of course I don't remember the 60's as I am only 19 (+ or - a square root of something))

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
A couple of friends of mine were in the original Toronto production of Hair way back in the long-ago-and-far-away.

Mine's been "should length or longer" for most of the last 35 years.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser wrote:

"A couple of friends of mine were in the original Toronto production of Hair way back in the long-ago-and-far-away."

Good grief, we might have friends in common (I should say, ex-friends...). You don't know any actresses with the initials GG, do you? Who like to sing in the sunshine...?

Last edited:

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Yeshanu said:
If the record's playing, I can sing along to both chorus and verse, so there.

If ya wanna see it, Zach, Hair's showing in Toronto. (As live theatre, not a movie.)

Jesus, that would rock. I would absolutely love that.

And Ferret, I think the significance was that, yes, he finally got laid, so it was an overwrought out-of-elation sort of thing -- and he was singing it very dorkily all throughout, aware of his own camp. It broke out into a song and dance number that included most of the cast, and it was very sun-shiny and hippy-ish.

And random as ****. That was the funny part: probably the last thing I expected to come out of his mouth. Hahaha.

Also, I know what song you're talking about. Makes me want to have my own horse on which to sing :)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:

Well, there are any number of songs that came out before I was born, or before I was old enough to be musically aware, that still resonate strongly with me. Hell, every time I hear Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" I almost want to cry.

Oh, and I thought 40-Year-Old Virgin was funny, but not quite as funny as Wedding Crashers. Still a good flick though.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought 40-year-old Virgin was funny, but it made me uncomfortable. I think it was too testosterone-y for me or something.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
eldragon said:

"Harmony and understanding,..." that's all I've got. Oh yeah, "Aquarius, aquaaareeuusss..." and then there's "Let the sun shine in..."

Uh oh. This song is getting perilously close to becoming stuck in my head. If so, it will replace "What if I were Romeo in black jeans..." which has been there for at least three days running.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
"Harmony and understanding,..." that's all I've got. Oh yeah, "Aquarius, aquaaareeuusss..." and then there's "Let the sun shine in..."

Da na na na na na na na.........

Da na na na na na na.

Da na na na na na na na........

Da na na na na!

(I may have gotten a few words wrong, but that's the just of it.)

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Jaycinth said:
Oh come on now, didn't your parents leave you with 'hip' babysitters who would turn on the good tunes as soon as they left?
Ours accidentally placed a wooden spoon next to the burner on a gas stove, and set it on fire (the spoon, not the stove)...

That was pretty 'hip', I suppose...

Oddly, I don't think we had babysitters after that point...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know the verse, just not pieces of the bridge.

When the moon is in the seventh house,
& Jupiter aligns with Mars.
Then peace will guide the planet,
& love will steer the stars.
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, age of Aquarius.
Aquarius. Aquarius. Aquarius.

Harmony & understanding
Peace & ? abounding
No one wants to join the ?
So we're living dreams of ?
Mystic crystal relevations
And our minds ?

Aquarius. Aquarius.

When the moon is in the seventh house,
& Jupiter aligns with Mars.
Then peace will guide the planet,
& love will steer the stars.
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, age of Aquarius.
Aquarius. Aquarius. Aquarius.

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine in.
The sun shine in... (& so on)

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Not to bump my own thread, but I also loved how, in the beginning, when Mr. Virgen attempted to pee w/ an erection, he had to practically bend himself in half before he could do it.

Exquisite attention to detail. Because that IS what you have to do if you really want to pee while hard.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
maybe fill in some of the blanks:

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius
Aquarius!
Aquarius!

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revalation
And the mind's true liberation
Aquarius!
Aquarius!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
The age of Aquarius
Aquarius!
Aquarius!

I was born in 1968, but I still know they lyrics. I did nab these from a lyric site, though.

Last edited:

Prosthetic Foreheads

Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
Not to bump my own thread, but I also loved how, in the beginning, when Mr. Virgen attempted to pee w/ an erection, he had to practically bend himself in half before he could do it.

Exquisite attention to detail. Because that IS what you have to do if you really want to pee while hard.

I gave up trying. Just wait until it goes away.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
The bendy method works exceptionally well, though.

Then again, I've heard it can cause permanent damage to that weird re-directy thing that keeps your piss from being semen, and your semen from being piss.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
The best part of the film, to me, was when he picked up the drunk chic and she drove.

God, that was good.

We have the extended version, extra 17 minutes.

And, the end was good, Truman.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Tigerland. It's like Hair without music. Similar idea. Colin Farrell is quite good in it, hence his rise to other, less interesting things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.