PDA

View Full Version : I very much deserved this..

Justin K
04-01-2014, 06:39 AM
So I go to the bookstore today (looking like complete $#!+) to scope out some of the best sellers, and I start opening to read the first page of every single book in the new adult fiction, to see what their idea of a good intro is. I start noticing that a lot of books deal with very typical situations like depression, death and epic love encounters, and I get to this one book that I start reading, and the first chapter involves a girl meeting a guy through calling a wrong number. Anyone read this one? Anyway, I'm reading along and I'm just thinking to myself this is so cliché that it's pissing me off, because fantastic coincidences don't happen in real life. Then I put the book down and notice a girl on the direct opposite side of the shelf looking at the books, and I realize it's the love of my life. You know, the 'real life' love of my life, the one that got away..? Why did I have to look like $#!+ today?! Why? Hadn't seen this girl in 5 years. And why did I have to think so arrogantly about coincidences. The book gods were angry with me.

heyjude
04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
:D You were tempting fate. Did you talk to her?

Snitchcat
04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Talk to her!

Lavern08
04-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Are you kidding me????

Let me spell it out for ya: D-E-S-T-I-N-Y

(I sure hope you exchanged phone numbers) ;)

Kylabelle
04-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah, man, talk. Give her a call.

Also, just because *you* think you looked like that, no reason to conclude she thinks the same thing.

We get fooled like that all the time.

I mean, look at me! I'm gawgeous!

hahahahaa!

Maggie Maxwell
04-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Running into your old flame in a bookstore? It's meant to be, dude, go get her.

Siri Kirpal
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dittoing what everyone else is saying.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

s.cummings
04-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Thy word gods have thus spoken. Ye must pursue thy damsel... Also I promise NEVER to talk/type like that EVER again.

Fingers
04-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Justin, you trying to say that you looked worse than me? Come on, no ones gonna buy that. oh wait, april 1. Nevermind.

thothguard51
04-01-2014, 10:50 PM
1st things first, did you check to see if she is wearing a ring... You know the kind... (Not a mood ring)

Maze Runner
04-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah, missed opportunities. They'll haunt you.

s.cummings
04-01-2014, 11:41 PM
1st things first, did you check to see if she is wearing a ring... You know the kind... (Not a mood ring)

heh, heh, sometimes the simplest first step is easily overlooked. :)

Sweetwheat
04-01-2014, 11:44 PM
ohemgeee.
There's no harm in talking. Just talking.

Updrifting
04-02-2014, 02:31 AM
Seriously, we girls sometimes confuse 'looking like s---' with 'looking all swarthy and kissable.' Get off your katush and make a play for her!

J.S.F.
04-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, I think that the bookstore has already closed, so either the OP went home alone or we've been gazoomphed.

:D

Justin K
04-16-2014, 10:03 AM
I had planned to take a quick stroll through the book store to get my mind motivated, so for some reason I thought it was a good idea to walk through the store in ghetto sandals and having not shaved in a month, and of course I had mustard on my shirt from my prior accident at chic fil a, so I was basically a disaster not expecting to engage any human beings, and that's exactly how I played it. I was lucky to have seen her first.

RNJ
04-17-2014, 01:49 AM
You still should have talked to her. Your line could have been, "This is what happened to me without you in my life." ;)

thothguard51
04-17-2014, 01:59 AM
And she points to the five carot ring on her finger and says, this is what happened in my life without you. Thank you...

Justin K
04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
You still should have talked to her. Your line could have been, "This is what happened to me without you in my life." ;)

This is soo good. I'll never try to look good again lol

KellyAssauer
04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
I remember a similar incident that happened to another AW'er and it was very much like you described, except it was a library... and it was a gal instead of a guy, and they actually did speak... and then she ran home and started writing about it and the book was published six months later.

So stop whining and get to writing. =)

batmantis24
04-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Honestly, that never happens! I hope you said something to her!

regdog
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM
And she points to the five carot ring on her finger and says, this is what happened in my life without you. Thank you...

Ouch

mirandashell
04-24-2014, 04:45 PM

My answer to that would be 'What am I, your mother?'

Lavern08
04-24-2014, 06:21 PM
...and I would have smiled and said: "You wanna go grab something to eat, crazy man?" :)

VRanger
04-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Anyway, I'm reading along and I'm just thinking to myself this is so cliché that it's pissing me off, because fantastic coincidences don't happen in real life.

The longer you live, the more unlikely coincidences you'll have happen. ;-) However, I also don't like heavy reliance on coincidence to drive plots. Alan Dean Foster eventually got to the point where he couldn't resolve a plot crisis without a coincidence.

However, I think a coincidence to start a book is fine. A book is supposed to be about something interesting that happened, and interesting things DO sometimes happen by being kicked off by coincidence.

Back in the mid-90s I ran into a business associate I was sometimes friendly with in Best Buy. Hadn't seen him in months. We got to talking and he mentioned he and his wife were about to leave on a trip to England. I replied that I envied them, my wife had always wanted to go. He said, "Hey, there's a great B&B right across the road from the friends we're staying with, why don't you come along?"

We rushed through express Passports, went, and had a memorable week that provided several of the most entertaining episodes I recount in conversation. If I decided to I could definitely write at least interesting short stories about that week, and other weeks of travel which would never have happened without that one chance meeting.