PDA

View Full Version : Um, I just got told by

unthoughtknown
03-10-2006, 06:47 AM
a bloke here at work that I am too young to write a book.

Whatever.

And the worst thing is, I couldn't think of a comeback in time! I was too flabbergasted by what he said!

TheIT
03-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Was he trying to be patronizing, or was it a backhanded compliment?

reph
03-10-2006, 06:51 AM
By the time you have a book to show him, you'll have thought of a comeback. Oh, wait, you won't need one then. Just show him the book. Ask whether he wants an autographed copy. Assure him that you're old enough to write your name.

TheIT
03-10-2006, 06:53 AM
In any case, take it with a grain of salt and keep writing.

Haggis
03-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Damn! If what he said is really true, I guess I'm going to have to decimate my bookcases.

tjwriter
03-10-2006, 07:17 AM
And the worst thing is, I couldn't think of a comeback in time! I was too flabbergasted by what he said!

Next time you can think of something to say, just arch an eyebrow and turn away. It works every time.

roach
03-10-2006, 07:42 AM
By the time you have a book to show him, you'll have thought of a comeback. Oh, wait, you won't need one then. Just show him the book. Ask whether he wants an autographed copy. Assure him that you're old enough to write your name.

And when you sign make sure to use a crayon. ;)

poetinahat
03-10-2006, 07:46 AM
That's okay; he can follow along with the pictures.

Lyra Jean
03-10-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.orriginals.com/images/pages/featured/phonics_thum.gif

Make sure you use your non-writing hand when signing your name and add a good job sticker. Remember they handed them out in kindergarten. Tell him when he reads your novel he can get a good job sticker too. :)

WerenCole
03-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Gee. . . you have four years on me. . . and I wrote my first two years ago.

I think this bloke knows nothing of writing. Certain people are just predisposed to use words as their artistic medium.

I like that word. . . bloke. I think I will take it up in my everyday vernacular. Thanks Jen.

unthoughtknown
03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Hehe, you guys make me laugh.

But I have new information.

After the bloke (glad ya like it WC) got into another conversation with me about something else, I then asked him if he had seen my crayon. (Thanks roach.) He then asked why, and why was I using a crayon anyway (yay, conversation was progessing just like I'd planned) and I told him it was because I was writing my book with it. Little did I know, others in the office had been eavesdropping and they all cracked up when I said it. Then it was revealed how old I was and it was bloke-with-no-tact's turn to be flabbergasted over my age.

Optimus
03-10-2006, 09:25 AM
What do you mean, "your age?"

You're my age.

We're still young.

We're still hot.

You definitely moreso than me.

I should write a book.

A book about how hot you are.

It'd be like 5 volumes long.

anyway, if the guy says anything else, just throw out some cute little Oz-like phrase at him, like calling him a "dag" or asking him if he "shouldn't be out looking for a roo to bang," then when he says "sorry peach" say "no wuckers" and trot off.

Or...something.

poetinahat
03-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Once again... Opti's vision is crystal.

Onya!

aadams73
03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Tell him he's too stupid to live, but he seems to insist on doing it anyway.

NeuroFizz
03-10-2006, 05:15 PM
a bloke here at work that I am too young to write a book.

Whatever.

Hey, Jen

You are too young to write a book. But not too young to write two books, or three books, or four...

Jaycinth
03-10-2006, 07:50 PM
You are far too important to have to think about him, much less worry about a comeback. After your books are published you can hire a couple of ex cons to "come back" for you.

Hugs!

NickDangr
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Age has nothing to do with ability or talent.

The person who dropped that off-handed comment most likely had personal issues and felt jealous over your ambitions and goals.

Ignore it and prove 'em wrong! You won't even have to say "I told you so." Just put a copy of your finished work on your desk once you've published so everyone can see :)

writerterri
03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Kick him!

And then spike his coffee.

Then post the story in the lunch room.

Moondancer
03-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Tell him he's too stupid to live, but he seems to insist on doing it anyway.

Make it a compliment: You admire his determination to live in spite of his stupidity.

Angela
03-10-2006, 09:29 PM
You are only one year and several days older than I am........the guy's an idiot!! *sigh* If she's a year older than I am, and she's too young to write a book, then I guess I'd better resort to using crayons, too.

But darn it! I had those things put up because of the last time my children decided the walls needed a little more color......

BlackCrowesChick
03-11-2006, 12:29 AM
As everyone has said, this guy is an idiot!

I've been writing fiction since I was six, and I probably used crayons then. I wonder what that guy would think about that...

Stew21
03-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Make it a compliment: You admire his determination to live in spite of his stupidity.

Oh! I'm using this!! This is great....

Jenn - Hell with the bastard!
A woman I know crinkled her nose funny when I mentioned being done with a draft (that still needs about 2 more rewrites at least). I wasn't even talking to her, I was talking to one of my draft-readers. She said, "is it getting published?" (with a snotty little snipped off tone.)
I just said, "Not yet! It isn't done." Well that earned me the dismissive eye-roll, the non-verbal equivalent of, "well then it isn't reeeally a book is it?"
I just let it go...
But now...next time I see her (if I don't go into a Carole rage first) I will offer this pleasant little compliment her direction!)

Optimus
03-11-2006, 01:44 AM
This entire situation is oh-so-reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode where George kept getting insulted by that guy at work but could never think of a comeback until he was at home.

His final comeback was so stupid: "Well, the jerkstore just called and said that they're running out of you!"

Classic.

Moondancer
03-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Oh! I'm using this!! This is great....

Well... if the person you use it on has kids you could always say, "I admire your determination to procreate in spite of your stupidity."

pconsidine
03-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Where the hell has that guy been? Or did the recent bestseller written by a 16-year-old escape his notice? I can't remember the details, but there was definitely such a book.

Opinions and a$$holes - everyone has one and they all stink.

ChaosTitan
03-11-2006, 02:46 AM
You may be thinking of "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini.

VictoriaE
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Too young!?

It's people like that who simply don't use their brain enough, if at all.

pconsidine
03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
You may be thinking of "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini.
Nah, it was some sort of neo-Catcher in the Rye type of story by a kid who grew up in Manhattan. Frankly, I didn't think much of it, but seeing as he's published and I'm not, that may not count for a whole heckuva lot.