PDA

View Full Version : Getting fake ID/ Changing name?

Flipper_Dipper
03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
As part of my story, I wanted a scenario where my main character runs away from home and her abusive step dad at the age of 16. She goes to the country (Somewhere like Lincolnshire) to meet/see her biological parents who help her. As she is a missing person at the time and somehow manages to fake her own death, they help her get some fake ID/ change her name (not legally, as her stepdad is a bigshot barrister with friends in high places and she doesn't want him to find out that she is still alive.) Is this something that sounds plausable? As she becomes a police officer in the future, would it be possible for the ID to be a really good fake and for the Police to not notice? If so, how would the parents go about helping her out/obtaining fake ID?

Thanks in advance for your help. Really struggling with this section.

Cath
03-30-2014, 11:03 PM
We're talking UK, obviously, but is this current day? Faking ID was a lot easier before photo ID driving licenses, etc.

You need a birth certificate and a National Insurance number at the very least.

It might be easier to steal an identity rather than create a completely fake one.

King Neptune
03-30-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the U.S.A. one can buy a fake driver's license for a reasonable amount of money. Efforts are still being made to make forgery more difficult, but it is still possible. Other ID's and documents are also available, and some are very good.

There are many websites for such things. Google is your friend.

T Robinson
03-31-2014, 12:17 AM
There are many ways. They all take time and money. There is still a risk. There was a story recently about a California Deputy Sheriff, who lost her job when they discovered she was not a natural citizen and had been brought into the country as a baby. (nothing to do with your scenario, but illustrating risks)

Simplest way to create an identity is search for a baby that died in infancy, but the records of that were lost to a fire/flood, etc. Apply for cards, credit cards, other documentation. Buy stuff, pay the bills and gradually you have a "person" with an electronic identity to match the addresses, demographics and other elements of a "modern" society. background checks are extensive, so it might not work.

Alternate scenario, she has a twin sister that died without documentation and she takes her place. Good luck

Mr Flibble
03-31-2014, 12:27 AM
An ID good enough to pass a cursory inspection is pretty easy -- you can get international driver's licenses on t'net easy peasy. For a couple of hundred you can get a pretty good fake passport

But enough to fool the police? Unless you've forged a whole new identity, I can't see it really. You've got to have an NI number, work records, school records. Enough of a history so that you look real. That's not easy (unless you steal an identity and that'd be hard to pass off to the fuzz I should think, though I suppose it might be possible. Just bloody difficult! Even for a CRB check you need to have several years of showing where you lived in that name etc)

Thing is, if she's living on a fake identity, why would she tempt fate by applying to be a policeman? I'd think she'd keep her head down.

cbenoi1
03-31-2014, 01:27 AM
Assume she pays some shady lad a thick wad of money and get on with the story.

-cb

Koulentis
03-31-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi Flipper Dipper. It's really hard for an adult to hide from the system. T Robinson is right: Forged paperwork won't get you far in modern society, it won't even pass most employment screening. The trick is to be in the system, just under a different name. At least in the US, changing identities while a minor is much easier than you'd think. Especially if the new parents are aiding her. Sorry if this doesn't apply to the U.K.

I imagine the cleanest long-term method would be take the MC on a boat ride out of country, then have the new parents adopt her, she would then become a citizen and get all real paperwork.

Less foolproof, but the scenario I'm familiar with is to build a trail of *real* IDs. The MC assumes a new name, enrolls in a new public school, gets her photo in the school yearbook, and completes Driver's Education.

A willing guardian with real picture ID and one picture ID for the minor (the school yearbook with the assumed name) can get the MC a real state-issued driver's license.

Spend a few months using that real driver's license obtaining additional real photo ID; library card, warehouse club, anything.

Now file for a social security card. If they argue, bring the guardian and show them all the picture IDs. Now with the social security card go get a part-time job and file tax returns. Graduate from public school.

Take the guardian, all the picture IDs, the tax returns, and the social security card down to the Passport Office, pay the extra money to have the application expedited. If they argue, squirt a few tears.

Now you have a Passport. With a *real* driver's license and a *real* Passport the MC will absolutely pass the screening for anything other than military, social work, or law enforcement. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with law enforcement background checks to know the additional levels of scrutiny. As Mr. Flibble points out, being a policewoman might not be the best line of work.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Mr Flibble
03-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Lawks, you need more than a school photo and a willing adult to get a license here!

You can send:

a full valid current passport
a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
a UK certificate of naturalisation

To get a passport you need:

Born on or after 1 January 1983

You must send your birth or adoption certificate and either:

your motherís or fatherís UK birth certificate, Home Office certificate of registration/naturalisation, a British passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born or a British passport number for either parent
evidence of one of your parentsí immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth (eg a foreign passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born)

So you need official ID to get official ID (birth certificate minimum, and I think the database tracks deaths linked to births). Yeah you can get fake licenses (Uk ones are much harder to get than international) but it's not an easy thing to do these days and it won't get you a passport. Everything is linked via computer databases. If I get pulled up for speeding, the policeman can pretty much get my inside leg measurement in minutes.

It IS possible, I'm sure, but you'd need to know some serious people probably. To pass muster for the police? I think that's be living very very near the edge.

Koulentis
03-31-2014, 08:46 AM
Lawks, you need more than a school photo and a willing adult to get a license here!

You can send:
a full valid current passport
a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
a UK certificate of naturalisation

Wow.

Well Flipper_Dipper, you could always base the story in the U.S. :)
Good luck!

jeseymour
03-31-2014, 08:48 PM
In our state (New Hampshire) you need a birth certificate to get a driver's license.

shaldna
04-01-2014, 12:33 PM
As part of my story, I wanted a scenario where my main character runs away from home and her abusive step dad at the age of 16. She goes to the country (Somewhere like Lincolnshire) to meet/see her biological parents who help her. As she is a missing person at the time and somehow manages to fake her own death, they help her get some fake ID/ change her name (not legally, as her stepdad is a bigshot barrister with friends in high places and she doesn't want him to find out that she is still alive.) Is this something that sounds plausable? As she becomes a police officer in the future, would it be possible for the ID to be a really good fake and for the Police to not notice? If so, how would the parents go about helping her out/obtaining fake ID?

Thanks in advance for your help. Really struggling with this section.

Okay, there's a difference between a fake ID and a fake Identity.

I had LOADS of fake IDs when I was young. But I lived in Belfast and pretty much everyone had a fake ID or two. They were easy to get, I knew a couple of guys who made them. For instance, I had a 'driving licence' (in the name of Stephie Smith) when I was 15. :)

Getting a whole new identity is a different matter. I mean, things like your national insurance number won't change and can easily be traced. You can change your name really easily and quickly, that's not an issue, and you can, essentially, disappear if you want to - work low paid cash in hand sort of jobs, live in places that are cash up front - that sort of thing. But long term, in a real proper job you might struggle to hide things.

All in all, unless you are actively wanted by the police, then no one is going to be looking for you, and unless they know you national insurance number or can convince HMRC that they really, really, really need to track you down, then they aren't going to get to you that way either.