Movie critics whose judgment you trust

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any critics you use as a guide to see if you might like a particular film? I used to read Roger Ebert's columns, several years ago, as a guide. The last few years it wasn't as useful, probably due to his illness.

Haven't really been going to movies much lately. The local theaters mostly show the blockbusters - have to travel farther to see any indies, although not that far - and don't have anyone to go with usually. My spouse prefers the bang-bang-boom types, preferably with space aliens and exploding buildings. I like the littler ones, the character studies and such.

But, I'd like to start going again. Would like to read some good reviews, first. Hate to spend the $9 + train tickets on something I would have avoided.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I used to trust the hell out of Ebert. Only a few times did he completely miss for me, but for the most part? I went to him first. Now, there is a big hole where Ebert used to be.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
Seconding the A.V. Club and the Dissolve.

Also, Film Critic Hulk. The ALL CAPS gimmick can be a bit grating, but if you can put that aside, you'll find some of the most thoughtful analysis of movies and pop culture on the net.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I just go on Rottentomatoes to see the overall 'score' now, then watch the trailers.

I used to love Mr. Cranky but at the same time it's pointless to read reviews of films you don't want to watch :p

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Do they even watch new movies?

About a year or so they have done out-of-character mini-reviews. Brad (and Diamanda Hagan. ALL HAIL HAGANSTAN!) tend to do "backseat insights" whereas they reportedly say their opinions on their cars just after watching it.

Doug, meanwhile, tends to do his reviews as a Vlog alone or with his older brother Rob. I prefer these since they feel better thought out and The ones with Rob offer a good counterpoint. Overall, I like to know Doug's opinions but they tend to be more personal than professional.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Most of the people on Channel Awesome.
Not sure about Suede.

I really like Doug, Nostalgia Chick, Brows Held High, Cinema Snob and Diamanda Hagan. I watch every now and then Obscurus Lupa, Suede, JesuOtaku and Linkara when they are reviewing something that catches my eye, but as of late I'm prefering Linkara's Pokemon LPs than his comic reviews.

Recently, I've been watching more videos of PushingUpRoses, Maven and Paw and I'm having a blast! Can't believe I didn't pay them attention for so long.

I really don't pay much attention to the rest since they either cover subjects I'm completely unfamiliar of (Like ToddInTheShadows or Angry Joe) or find them way too gimmicky or obtuse. I'm not fond of the whole story arc some of them do from time to time, to be frank.

Sometimes I like the idea to do reviews like that myself. But then, I think it would be hard to do another job like writing. Especially since it seems quite time-consuming.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Phillips is in pretty close tune with me I find.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I trust me. I ain't famous--yet--but since watching movies is such a personal thing, my view is the one I rely on most.

In the old days (meaning when I was young...damn...) I used to read Clyde Gilmour who wrote for the Toronto Star. He hated everything. Even if the movie was a blockbuster, critically acclaimed by the universe, Oscar winner...he'd find something to carp about. But he was pretty objective about the good and bad points and that was in his favor.

Ebert was right more often than he was wrong, but his ego got in the way at times. Most critics have a pretty large ego, anyway, and Ebert was no different. However, he sometimes changed his mind on movies he initially gave the thumbs down to, so there it is.

Maltin is also pretty objective, but other than him, I really don't bother reading what the critics say. If I like a movie then I like it.

AustinT

Just keep on writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Nate Rabin and the rest of his old AV Club team (Phipps, Robinson, Tobias) now over at The Dissolve.

For older movies, I like Jamie Rich at DVDTalk and Gary Tooze at DVDBeaver.

Shameless plug: I really trust the opinions of my team of critics over at Under the Radar: http://www.undertheradarmag.com/reviews/category/cinema

Does anyone else here write their own film criticism?

Enrika

Mostly Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I see that there was some love for Channel Awesome - but no one mentioned Film Brain? I find his Project Reviews and his tweets to be a very good and fair opinion.