Reaching Out to Published Authors/Using Connections?

TaliaCele

Champion of the Oxford Comma
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theaccidentaltypist.blogspot.com
(Correct me if this is in the wrong place.)

My question is, when people offer to put me in touch with these friends and relatives who write in the same genre as I do, to what end (besides seeing if they will set me up with agents - which I wouldn't do)?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Reaching Out to Published Authors?

(Correct me if this is in the wrong place.)

I am writing a literary fiction novel (sub-genre: Jewish-themed). I have one very close (1st degree) connection to a well-known best-selling author of a Jewish-themed non-fiction book, as well as a few 2nd and 3rd, degree connections to authors of fairly successful literary fiction novels (a couple of them are in my sub-genre of Jewish-themed).

So, after all of that, my question is, do I use these connections BEFORE or AFTER querying agents? And what is the best way to use these connections (besides seeing if they will set me up with agents)? To see if they will read the MS and give me a quote?
I wouldn't ask anyone to "set me up" with an agent. You don't need anyone to do that for you; and using people in this way is cynical and exploitative.

All you need do is query in the usual way. If your book is good enough you'll find an agent and a publisher; if your book isn't good enough, your connections won't help you.

Once you have a publishing contract you could ask your connections if they'd consider giving you a quote for the cover of the book, but that's about it.

If you're not convinced by my comments try looking at this from your connections' point of view: you're asking us how best to use them and their success to further your own career.

Last edited:

TaliaCele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wouldn't ask anyone to "set me up" with an agent. You don't need anyone to do that for you; and using people in this way is cynical and exploitative.

All you need do is query in the usual way. If your book is good enough you'll find an agent and a publisher; if your book isn't good enough, your connections won't help you.

Once you have a publishing contract you could ask your connections if they'd consider giving you a quote for the cover of the book, but that's about it.

If you're not convinced by my comments try looking at this from your connections' point of view: you're asking us how best to use them and their success to further your own career.

I specifically wouldn't ask them to set me up with an agent/publisher (which is why I said "besides" doing that). Several people, however, have asked me if I wanted them to make the connection between them and the authors they know. So that is why I am asking - what would I do with that connection? It's not about using people (that's sort of a cynical look at things). I have heard agents say that if we have these kinds of connections, they would be interested to know about them.

TaliaCele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Miss Snark answered a similar question on her blog:

http://misssnark.blogspot.ca/2006/03/clue-gong-sounds-for-thee-asking.html

Incidentally, the archives of that blog are a goldmine of info. Most of the time if I have a question about querying, I can find the answer on her blog.

-Whirly

Thanks!

I guess, I'm not asking about stalking total strangers. I'm asking, what are people asking ME when they want to know if I want them to make the connections? Do you know what I mean? Or do I just say, thanks but no thanks?

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Talia,

You could ask your connections what they mean, and then they would tell you and you would know. Do your connections work in publishing? Sometimes people mean well, but they can inadvertently make you look bad while trying to help you out.

A personal story: A few years ago my mom was at a ritzy party hosted by my aunt and uncle and my mom happened to start talking to a woman there who mentioned she was an editor at Random House. My mother immediately said, "Oh! What a co-incidence. My child is a writer!! Let me tell you about her."

At which point my uncle who was standing right there, *thankfully* said to my mother. "NO." and removed my mother from that group.

My mother told me this story and said, "Your uncle was so rude." and I told my mother, "Don't you EVER try to interfere or take a hand in my writing career again. My uncle did exactly the right thing." Because I was about to look clueless-by-proxy if my mother had kept talking. She still doesn't understand what she did wrong.

I have one connection that I've never used: Years ago, an author read a short story of mine and offered to refer me to her agent (said agent only takes queries by referral), once I'd written a novel. That was nearly 20 years ago. I didn't start querying until 2011, so I figure the expiry date on that referral is long past. I don't regret it. I wasn't ready to write a novel back then. Still don't have an agent. Still querying. No regrets, though.

-Whirly

TaliaCele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Talia,

You could ask your connections what they mean, and then they would tell you and you would know. Do your connections work in publishing? Sometimes people mean well, but they can inadvertently make you look bad while trying to help you out.

A personal story: A few years ago my mom was at a ritzy party hosted by my aunt and uncle and my mom happened to start talking to a woman there who mentioned she was an editor at Random House. My mother immediately said, "Oh! What a co-incidence. My child is a writer!! Let me tell you about her."

At which point my uncle who was standing right there, *thankfully* said to my mother. "NO." and removed my mother from that group.

My mother told me this story and said, "Your uncle was so rude." and I told my mother, "Don't you EVER try to interfere or take a hand in my writing career again. My uncle did exactly the right thing." Because I was about to look clueless-by-proxy if my mother had kept talking. She still doesn't understand what she did wrong.

I have one connection that I've never used: Years ago, an author read a short story of mine and offered to refer me to her agent (said agent only takes queries by referral), once I'd written a novel. That was nearly 20 years ago. I didn't start querying until 2011, so I figure the expiry date on that referral is long past. I don't regret it. I wasn't ready to write a novel back then. Still don't have an agent. Still querying. No regrets, though.

-Whirly

Thank you. Very kind and helpful response : )

WonderCat

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, good gravy. My husband and his coworker did the same thing to me... turns out, the coworker's cousin is an editor at one of the big 6 (don't remember which one; this was a few years ago). Husband told this lady I was a writer, and she got very excited and told my husband she was going to EMAIL HER COUSIN ABOUT ME RIGHT AWAY! AND SHE DID. Husband thought this was great, and still doesn't understand that he was not "helping me network." I told him he was never to discuss my writing career with anyone ever again. I know his heart was in the right place, but.... gah.

My only hope is that this editor (who wrote back to her cousin with the helpful/cringeworthy suggestion that I need to look for an agent) knows that all this happened completely behind my back and I had nothing to do with it. The only redeeming part of this story is that she edits in a genre I don't write.

What I tried to explain to my husband was that networking is something you do once you have something to bring to the table. Otherwise, you look like I did in this scenario: clueless and unprofessional. I still want to jump out the window whenever I think of it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The trick is not to ask, but take full advantage of it is someone offers.

But understand that connections do nothing other than get you read a little bit faster. That's it. No agent will take you on one second faster because of connections.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Talia, if you realise you've misrepresented yourself in a post it's best not to edit that post if people have already replied to it: put up a correction later. Otherwise the whole conversation goes off-kilter, and it makes it difficult for people to follow along.

I've added your original post to mine, as a quote, for clarity.

I specifically wouldn't ask them to set me up with an agent/publisher (which is why I said "besides" doing that).

I took your use of "besides" to mean "as well as". I suspect most people would. You might like to try to be clearer in future.

Several people, however, have asked me if I wanted them to make the connection between them and the authors they know. So that is why I am asking - what would I do with that connection? It's not about using people (that's sort of a cynical look at things). I have heard agents say that if we have these kinds of connections, they would be interested to know about them.

You do nothing with such a connection. It's not a connection. It's people offering you the services of their friends and relatives, without ensuring that their friends and relatives are ok with that.

If you know successful writers personally, and they're happy to give you quotes and endorse your books, then by all means let your agent and/or publisher know. But check with your friend first, don't ask for too much, and expect your request to be declined.

Thanks!

I guess, I'm not asking about stalking total strangers. I'm asking, what are people asking ME when they want to know if I want them to make the connections? Do you know what I mean? Or do I just say, thanks but no thanks?

They're offering you things they can't provide. They don't realise the full implications of what they're doing. Say thanks but no thanks.