PDA

View Full Version : Mentor

vicky271
03-28-2014, 07:47 AM
I know this is probably the only request for one considering everyone wants a beta reader. Trust me, I'll be asking eventually...but that's not the most important thing right now.

Right now, I am looking for a mentor. As I head into, what I believe to be, one of the darkest parts of my life, I want to dive deeply into my writings. I think a mentor would really help.

I'm writing a story with various genres; adventure, action, fantasy, romance, etc. I would really like someone whose had some experience with writing and the whole process (outlines, drafting, etc.)

Just thought I would try posting this request :)

Tromboli
03-28-2014, 05:10 PM
What kind of things do you usually write? How much have you written? (still working on first draft? Getting ready to query your first book? On your 5th book?) What are your goals?

Do you just was a more experienced writer to talk you through things? Or someone to *teach* you? Like a writing coach or something.

Try to answer those questions as best you can, cause otherwise it will tough for anyone to jump into something blind, you know?

robjvargas
03-28-2014, 07:39 PM
I felt a bit of particular concern over your statement of, "As I head into, what I believe to be, one of the darkest parts of my life I think a mentor would really help."

It leaves me wondering if you're asking for someone to assist with your writing, or something more.

xYinxx
03-28-2014, 07:58 PM
I felt a bit of particular concern over your statement of, "As I head into, what I believe to be, one of the darkest parts of my life I think a mentor would really help."

It leaves me wondering if you're asking for someone to assist with your writing, or something more.

Perhaps she wants support? I don't know.

CRoman
03-29-2014, 02:21 AM
I need a writing mentor. Anyone want to help?

mccardey
03-29-2014, 03:42 AM
I need a writing mentor. Anyone want to help?

Just echoing Tromboli for you and for Vicky - probably more info would garner you more responses. A mentor is a mentor is a mentor, I know - but if you're writing, say erotica, a writer who works in Religious or Children's Literature might be not entirely the most productive match. And vice versa. ;)

vicky271
03-30-2014, 03:50 AM
If you're writing, say erotica, a writer who works in Religious or Children's Literature might be not entirely the most productive match. And vice versa. ;)

Try to answer those questions as best you can, cause otherwise it will tough for anyone to jump into something blind, you know?

Thanks for the heads up, I just added some more info to my thread :)

Unimportant
03-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Vicky, I think people tend to ask for beta readers because it is much less of a commitment. A beta reader reads one book, comments, and is done; mentoring is an ongoing and more time-consuming process. Mentoring also requires a much better 'match'; it's like a long term relationship versus the one-night-stand that is the beta reader.

So, potential mentors are probably going to want a lot more information before they put up their hands. What is your level of experience? Are you an experienced professional writer looking for a mentor who can lead you to blockbuster fame, or are you a first-time writer looking for a mentor who can help you learn the very basics of the craft? What are your writing goals, short-term and long-term? What audience are you writing for -- children, YA, or adult? What are your strengths, and what are your weaknesses?

What are your expectations from the mentor -- daily skype contact; weekly email contact; alpha-reading chapters as you write; sending you lessons on grammar and punctuation; being your cheerleader; being your drill sergeant....

And, perhaps most importantly, why should a mentor choose you? For every potential mentor, there are ten or a hundred or a thousand hopeful new writers who would love to have one-on-one help. A mentor usually chooses the individual who has demonstrated that they have the talent, the ambition, the commitment, the ability to grow, the ability to take criticism, and the likelihood to attain their goals.

So, as I said, you might want to give more specific info, to make yourself stand out and be noticed. Good luck!