PDA

View Full Version : Fun Challenge! Short stories based on a song!

JesFun
03-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Today, I was thinking it'd be a fun writing exercise to pick a song, and write a short story on it.

Who would like to play?

Rules:
1. I'll post a song, and next person in line writes a short story based on that song. (Leave a placeholder saying you are doing it)

2. Between 1-2000 words

3. Must use lines in the song as dialogue.

4. When story is posted, pick another song for the next person.

5. You have 24 hours, before it gets passed on to the next person.

6. You must post a story to submit a song, or we'll be overrun by suggestions, but no stories!

I'll bet we can get some good ones :) Try to pick songs that everyone would know. Not everyone may know that awesome song from that under appreciated indie band you love so much!

First song:

I Think We're Alone Now - By Tommy James (or Tiffany if you prefer! lol)

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I'll do it.

JesFun
03-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to reading it :)

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
in case anyone wants one while i write:

"babylon" - David Grey

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 07:24 PM
This is my entry. It's really rough, but I'm sure it fits the bill. This was an awesome exercise. Again, my song choice was "I Think We're Alone Now".

“Children, come in!” My grandmother’s deep voice carried over the whole distance of the back woods. I could have been deep into the forest, by the lake, and still heard her. Like a reliable time piece, she called my brothers and I into the house every day, twice a day; for lunch, and a pre-dinner wash up. She never came out to get us, because it wasn’t how she ran her house. We were raised with leather belts, so it got to be that warnings to “Children, BEHAVE,” “Come in when you’re called,” and “Watch how you play!” were enough to keep us in line.

My eldest brother, Andrew, was slowly losing interest in the mud play and games of tag that were our existence together. Joshua, the middle child, was content with me because he didn’t know any better. Andy was exposed to other things, having just started Junior High school, and felt too cosmopolitan for the likes of us two.

A few times he brought friends over to our big old farm house, mainly other boys. I was the one who was often left out, unless someone else brought a sister along too. On the few occasions that the boys let me play, we would be running away from the dreadfully unreal IT monster.

I couldn’t run as fast as most of the boys but whenever Josh saw the monster closing on behind me he grabbed my hand and he would shout, “Gotta run as fast as we can sissy!” If the monster got too close again, and this was my favorite part, Josh would wrap his arms around me and jump down the bank of the river. We would roll and tumble until we hit the water. The monsters, if he was a friend of Andy’s, would hestitate too long at the tree line and lose us in the race. But, if it was my other brother, he was skid after us. More often he would tag Josh, because, like a little girl, I just cried when I couldn’t catch up to the big boys.

At night the games got even more fun. One 4th of July, when I was six, Andy had a whole gang of friends, from school, over for a summer BBQ. Whereas he
ignored me because I was a girl, there was a young beauty, Rachel, who he simply doted on. I can admit now that I was pea-green with envy.

That night, we planned another monster attack, with flashlights. In the midst of our terror I saw Andy grab Rachel, in the way Josh picks me up, and tumble with her down the river bank. Jealous again, I followed them.

“Why do we have to hide?” She giggled at him as they settled behind a berry bush right by the water. I was lucky enough that her suburban feet were so heavy on the country ground, or else I would have been heard climbing down to watch them. “What could they say?”

“That you’re cheating, you hussy. You can’t hide during tag!” I thought. Keep in mind, I had no idea what the word ‘hussy’ meant, I just used it because that’s what grandma called the pretty lady who turned the letters on Wheel of Fortune.

Andy didn’t say a word. He leaned over her and they started kissing. I remember getting upset because I knew what Grandma had to say about those worldly things. Her words mingled in my head. “Children behave! Kissing is for bad boys and girls who don’t love God. Watch how you play! Because God is always watching!”

My inner struggled was interrupted when I felt rocks knock off of the back of my feet. Josh was catching up to me, his hand outstretched to make a monster out of me. I let him tag me because I was too busy worrying over Andy’s “mortal soul”; another of Granny’s euphemisms for thinking.

Josh barely noticed my dilemma. It wasn’t until he heard Andy whisper something that he clicked onto what I was doing.

“I think we’re alone now, for good.”

Ol’ Reliable Joshy poked his head right through the bush and saw what Andrew was up to. It took him half a second before he bellowed, “CHEATERS!”

Amazed that what he saw didn’t faze him I just joined him and screamed it for myself. Rachel turned red and took off down the muddy path of the river bank. Andrew turned to argue with us, but before he could talk, I took off headed right for him. I shoved with all my strength, which wasn’t a lot for a little girl, and knocked him off his feet.

“You’re It!”

The next person should use "Babylon" by David Grey. Hope I fulfilled the challenge Jes ;).

Haggis
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey, guys. Nice thread.

What say I move it over to Writing Exercises where it should get even better play?

I'm also going to recommend that you consider posting your stories in SYW and only post a link to them back in this thread. SYW is password protected and you won't be giving up your first rights by posting there.

Thanks, and fasten your seat belts.

JesFun
03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Ok, no problem. I wasn't sure where to post this type of thing.

And Niav, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I was definitely a different take on a romantic song :)

Sage
03-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Songs are like 90% of my story ideas :)

First song:

I Think We're Alone Now - By Tommy James (or Tiffany if you prefer! lol)

"babylon" - David Grey

Ha, I listened to both of these the other day and thought that they were prime for story inspiration.

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Hey, guys. Nice thread.

What say I move it over to Writing Exercises where it should get even better play?

I'm also going to recommend that you consider posting your stories in SYW and only post a link to them back in this thread. SYW is password protected and you won't be giving up your first rights by posting there.

Thanks, and fasten your seat belts.

Don't we need a mod to move it?

JesFun
03-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Songs are like 90% of my story ideas :)

Ha, I listened to both of these the other day and thought that they were prime for story inspiration.

So are you up next then? :)

JesFun
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM

It's already moved...

Haggis
03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Not anymore. :)

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 08:17 PM
haha I'm slow on the uptake.

Haggis take your turn!! I'll even amend my song choice to something you're agreeable to.

Kylabelle
03-27-2014, 08:19 PM
haha I'm slow on the uptake.

Haggis take your turn!! I'll even amend my song choice to something you're agreeable to.

I suggest How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

:D

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
go for it!

JesFun
03-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Just added a 6th rule! LOL!

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I'll bet we can get some good ones :) Try to pick songs that everyone would know. Not everyone may know that awesome song from that under appreciated indie band you love so much!

I wouldn't mind doing a song that I hadn't heard of. Especially if I'm writing based on a new listener's interpretation.

JesFun
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a song that I hadn't heard of. Especially if I'm writing based on a new listener's interpretation.

That's fine, I don't really have a problem with it…I just thought it'd be fun (maybe a little easier) to do some different interpretations of well-known songs. But I did say this was a challenge, so if you're game….

***If you are going to enter the challenge, say that you are doing it, so that we know who is next! Thank you!***

shakeysix
03-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I'll go--s6

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 08:57 PM
What song are you doing?

JesFun
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
I'll go--s6

Great! Song is Babylon by David Grey

JesFun
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
What song are you doing?

We'll stick to the rule: Person who wrote last story picks song :) It's only fair

Nadja V.
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm game...I may need a poke when it's my turn. Things get busy here and I sometimes forget to check back!

JesFun
03-27-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm game...I may need a poke when it's my turn. Things get busy here and I sometimes forget to check back!

Ok! You'll be up after shakysix.

JesFun
03-29-2014, 11:32 PM
It's been about 48 hours, so next up is Nadja V, if she still wants to give it a go! Song still Babylon by DAvid Grey :)

shakeysix
03-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Sorry--Friday was busier than I thought it would be, helping students with last minute corrections on research papers. What is the song and I'll try again.--s6

JesFun
03-30-2014, 10:46 PM
No problem, life happens :-)
Song is still: Babylon by David Grey

JesFun
03-30-2014, 10:49 PM

Shakysix is going to do Babylon. If you haven't started, you'll be up next with whatever song Shaky picks

shakeysix
03-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Wow, this is longer than I thought it would be. I hope this will fit--s6
Babble On
Friday night is the same as any other night in Landon, Kansas: nowhere to go and plenty of nothing to do. I should have stayed home but of course I didn’t. I was staring at a frozen pot pie and a night of reality TV when I remembered that there was a Thanksgiving special down at the cantina—a plate of guajolote smothered in mole poblano, with tortillas, a complimentary margarita and a big piece of pumpkin pie—all for only $6.99.
Since I had one ten dollar bill left from last week’s paycheck, I shelved the pot pie, reached for my hoody and was out the door, that fast. I live in an apartment over my grandmother’s house, not at all a bad place, considering the rent, but the stairs are steep and kind of rickety.
The night was chilly but clear with a sad, lopsided moon. I decided to walk. Probably should have taken my car. Anyway, I kicked through a couple of blocks of autumn leaves to get to the cantina. If I hadn’t been so wrapped up in the sound of the rustling leaves and the owls hooting, I might have noticed that “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone was pouring out of every crack of the cantina.
I took a seat and ordered before I realized that the place was pretty much empty for a Friday night; that “Come and Get Your Love” was on some kind of manic redial on the juke box and that the Sixowls Twins, Ronnie and Renata, were slumped into the corner booth. Ronnie was crying. Renata was patting at his dark, shaggy head, staring into a half empty beer mug.
I tried to sneak to the kitchen to cancel my order but Renata spotted me. “Hey, Kimmie, come sit with us! Let’s talk about high school! Ronnie was saying the other day that we sure had some fun in high school.”
Fun in high school was the reason I was stuck in Landon, Kansas, living in my grandmother’s apartment and working as a grocery store clerk. The big universities just don’t offer much in the way of scholarships for beer busting and creative school skipping. It didn’t seem like the time to bring that particular regret up, so I picked up my margarita, ordered a beer and joined them. There wasn’t much else I could do. Renata is a big girl.
“ Sasheen?” I whispered over Ronnie’s head. Ronnie’s girl, Sasheen Gonzales, had won a big ag management scholarship to K State that summer, all expenses paid. Of course she took it. It wasn’t her fault that Ronnie wasn’t going anywhere but his uncle’s alfalfa farm.
Renata drained her mug. “I gotta go to the little girl’s room. Would you sit here with Ronnie till I get back? He’s been down all day. Sasheen was supposed to come home for Thanksgiving. She texted him to say she is going skiing instead.”
I took a seat at the booth but I wasn’t smiling. There was a window in the ladies’ room and I could see the desperation in Renat’s eyes. Small as that window was, I knew she would not be back.
I tipped my beer and drank it off. “How you doing, Ronnie?”
He raised his head and tried to smile but it came out as a grimace. Tears streaked his face like war paint. “What is love, Kimmie?”
“Jesus, I don’t know and I don’t care. Not since Larry left town.”
Ronnie wiped at his eyes with the sleeve of his jean jacket. “I’m sorry. You got heartbreak too, don’t you? ” He handed me a wad of damp napkins.
“Yeah,” I said, patting at his hair. It was jet black like this Lab I once had. He ran away on me, too.
“It was the ultima-ma-matum. She was going to come back until I gave her the ulti-ulti-ma-matum.”
I squeezed his shoulder. Ronnie and I go back to second grade. He hiccups when he gets emotional. Drunk usually exacerbates the condition. “That was a stupid, gutless thing to do.” I admit that I am not one for tea and sympathy.
He burst into tears.
Refugia, the waitress, brought my order. I motioned her to box up the turkey and mole to go. “Look Ronnie, I have to go. Can you call someone for a ride?”
“It was the alfalfalafal,” he sobbed. “I can’t leave the alfafalfalfa…”
“But you like the alfalfa.” I soothed him with one hand and gulped down my margarita with the other. “Remember how you always said you wanted to work alfalfa for your uncle …”
“I do love the alfalfa… it smells so pretty. And it has those little blue flowers. Sometimes, on the swather, when the meadow larks are singing and the sun is all golden and the sky all bbblue…I do love the alfalfalfa…I do, Kimmie.”
I stood and wiped his face with the soggy napkins. “That’s good, Ronnie. It’s good to love something. You would never give the alfalfa an ultimatum, would you?”
“Neverever…” he hiccupped.
“You’d never give a meadowlark an ultimatum, would you Ronnie?”
“No.”
“Then you won’t give the next girl an ultimatum. And Ronnie, there will be another girl. You are a nice looking guy with the heart of a poet. A girl will come along who will see your good points.” I picked up my doggy box, put down my last dollar for a tip and made for the door.
“Kimmie, do you like alfalfalfalfa?” he called across the bar.
“I love it Ronnie. Good night.”
“Can I have a ride home? “
“I’m walking.”
“I’ll walk with you.”
“No. Wait. Oh, crap.”
So we made it to my place and I sent him on his way, another two blocks in the opposite direction. I watched him stumble down the street and then I climbed my stairs, tossed my doggy box into the fridge and turned on my TV.
At eleven my grandmother called. “Kimberley, Ronnie Sixowls is sitting on my glider, crying his heart out because you left him!”

Niav.Corky
03-31-2014, 09:05 AM
what's your song for the next person?

shakeysix
03-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Oh, wow. Let's do "Into the Mystic" --s6

Nadja V.
04-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Oh, wow. Let's do "Into the Mystic" --s6

Listened to it on YouTube, did a little poking about on the internet and hope to have something by this time tomorrow...

JesFun
04-01-2014, 01:09 AM
yay! Looking forward to reading it :)

Nadja V.
04-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I posted it in the SYW as Haggis suggested, under Flash Fiction. The song was Into the Mystic.

Find it here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8790950#post8790950).

Nadja V.
04-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Oh, and the song for whoever is next is In the Air Tonight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA)

I put a YouTube link above...good luck!

JesFun
04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
I posted it in the SYW as Haggis suggested, under Flash Fiction. The song was Into the Mystic.

Find it here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8790950#post8790950).

Great piece. Thank you for playing and sharing!

JesFun
04-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Oh, and the song for whoever is next is In the Air Tonight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA)

I put a YouTube link above...good luck!

Ok, I'm going to take this one :-)

JesFun
04-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Ok, here it is.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288071

It's called Beautiful Monster.
Hope you like it!

Next Song is:
To Be With You by Mr. Big (What can i say? I love the 80's)