• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Departing from plot to describe a character's passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a memoir. I am the narrator. I started out writing writing a story or chapter about my high school years. What I vaguely had in mine was writing about the development of my infatuation with another guy in school at a time when neither of us were out as gay, and how it affected my life (it indirectly led me to sort of a drug problem and medical drama).

The thing is, I found myself talking about a deep passion or hobby of mine. It's an unusual hobby…so unusual that I've actually been asked by a publication to write about it for a separate project. I'm shy to say what it is, but let's just pretend to say it's a deep passion for hip hop music.

I was contemplating doing something sort of radical in pausing the main plot of the infatuation/downward spiral simply to introduce my passion for hip hop (which was born during this time) in the form of a more lyrical segment…sort of like "An Ode to Hip Hop" or a tribute to hip hop, where I write about it almost like a relationship or love affair.

Is that weird? Does that make ANY sense?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I think so long as readers are already invested in the narrative, and remain interested in what's happening, you can diverge a bit now and then. Especially so in a memoir where it's not so much a plot as a sort of expanded diary with more continuity. But if the overall style is linear-flow, I'd take care to lead into it, rather than just dumping the reader there. OTOH, if the general style is episodic, then you might be better to treat it kinda separately.

[Disclaimer: it's not the sort of thing I read, but I found the question interesting wrt internal structure.]

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a memoir. It shouldn't have or need a plot. You write about what matters/mattered in your life.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it's really distracting and doesn't fit with the flow of the piece then it could be annoying for a reader. That said, a lot depends on the style, and if the whole book is written in this way then it could work.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I've never read a memoir. Well, I've read everything Hemingway wrote, and a lot of it would probably be called memoir now. Either way, you've been warned -- I may be way off base.

But given the choice between something that was interwoven as a vehicle for telling the story throughout, which this clearly could be, or something that was carved out as a completely separate thing in the middle of any book, I'd almost always default to the former.

TopHat

Rackin' up library fines.
Registered
Reaction score
Herman Melville wrote passionate diverges about whaling

Victor Hugo, at length with scenery.

They have a saying, When in Rome, do whatever it takes to get your book published, because writers are very very hungry people. And sometimes that means going against the grain and being radical.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never read a memoir. Well, I've read everything Hemingway wrote, and a lot of it would probably be called memoir now. Either way, you've been warned -- I may be way off base.

But given the choice between something that was interwoven as a vehicle for telling the story throughout, which this clearly could be, or something that was carved out as a completely separate thing in the middle of any book, I'd almost always default to the former.

You should read a boatload of memoirs. They can be the best writing out there, and the eclectic, almost random nature of many are what make them great reading.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
You should read a boatload of memoirs. They can be the best writing out there, and the eclectic, almost random nature of many are what make them great reading.

I think that's a good point. I don't generally read 'em, but I liked one so well that I kiped the book from the pile of junk used for decorating some film set. It's called Life in a Putty Knife Factory, and it's about as eclectic as its title.

TopHat

Rackin' up library fines.
Registered
Reaction score

I half read one memoir: Teacher Man by Frank Mccourt. I got to the part where some man "spilled his sperm on communion wafers" and never picked it up again, not from dislike but because I had forgotten to pick it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.