"Let me know if other agents request your manuscript"

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, help me, guys. So I'm relatively new to the query game, despite not being new to AW.

I got a nice full request off my query (yay!). Sent off all required materials (full and synopsis), with just a quick note to say "these are attached, I look forward to hearing from you." I didn't mention that it's being read by other agencies (the full is out with 4 others) because I didn't want it to feel like a death match and he didn't ask (another agent who requested did, so I said it was). However, in his receipt e-mail, he said, "In the meantime, if you could let me know if other agents request your manuscript or offer representation, I would greatly appreciate it."

Is this a cue to tell him that the full is out with the other agencies? To only let him know if anyone else requests while he has the full? I obviously know that it's common courtesy to let the other agents know in the event of a offer of rep, but I'm not sure about this.

Or am I just overthinking it? :tongue

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you do tell him other agents have it. My guess is that he prioritizes his reading based on that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you do tell him other agents have it. My guess is that he prioritizes his reading based on that.
Oh, good, my instincts served me well for once.

I presume you have no obligation to announce which agencies or how long they've had the full. Is that correct?

Maryn, greenhorn

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ink!

First, congrats on the requests!!

Hm, this one's a bit tricky--ordinarily I'd say you wouldn't have to let him know if others request, since it's not an exclusive sub. That said, the e-mail does read as if he wants to know about other requests, so it couldn't hurt to shoot over a quick notification as per his e-mail...

Sorry to not be more helpful--hopefully others will weigh in. Meanwhile, good luck!!!

ETA: And I see others have weighed in! Follow Maryn and the shark! :D.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The is no reason not to let the agent know. If this agent wants to know who the others are, then tell. It can't hurt you, and may help.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Competition breeds success. Let the agent know other agents have it. Up to you whether to reveal the names.

Sounds like a good"pickle" to be in......good luck!

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, all! Told him I had four fulls out, didn't mention the names, but probably will if he asks or if I get an offer. Reps for all.

duru_antilles

Registered
Reaction score
I had a couple agents ask me this-- I vaguely said I had other agents reading the full, but only if they mentioned it in their email first. No one asked for names. After I recently got an offer of rep, I nudged on some queries and partials and got 3 more full requests. Only one asked for a name. I guess some care and some don't!

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
...When you get another full request, should you e-mail them and tell? Or is it enough that they know four other agents have it already?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
They just need to know that other agents have fulls. The only time (IMO) when you contact every agent who has your manuscript is when one of them offers. More fulls don't matter, but the fact that the manuscript might be taken from consideration within a week or two does.

Good luck with all the fulls!

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
They just need to know that other agents have fulls. The only time (IMO) when you contact every agent who has your manuscript is when one of them offers. More fulls don't matter, but the fact that the manuscript might be taken from consideration within a week or two does.

Good luck with all the fulls!

I thought so. Thanks!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
"In the meantime, if you could let me know if other agents request your manuscript or offer representation, I would greatly appreciate it."

So the advice is to let him know that other agents have the full because he asked to be notified, right?

If he had not asked for this notification, do you still mention it or not?

I have a full out to two agents, but did not let either know that another has it. If one offered, I would, of course, but at this stage of the game is that important for them to know?