PDA

View Full Version : Creepiest News Stories

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 08:31 PM
I have to listen to the radio at work because a co-worker plays theirs at a high volume. And I heard that here in NYC there is someone dressing like a Killer Klown and holding balloons on Staten Island. Evidently, he's showing up randomly and terrorizing people.

I, for one, read Stephen King's It and will be staying the hell out of SI.

What's the creepiest thing that's been reported in your towns?

UPDATE: And we have a picture ..
http://wnyw.images.worldnow.com/images/3422118_G.jpg

Sweetwheat
03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
what in the world!!!!!! Oh hell no!
Nope nope nope! That is uber creepy! I would be like crying hahah.
Unfortunately, I don't listen to the news much because I like to have music playing, so I can't contribute. But lord almighty. That is cray-cray.

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 08:57 PM
You have no idea!!

One of our buildings is smack dab in the center of the craziness. I told my boss, ain't no chance this lassie is headed out there.

Wilde_at_heart
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
I find this rather creepy - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2586036/You-married-Lord-daddy-boyfriend-Purity-Balls-girls-gift-virginity-fathers-marriage-sweep-America.html

Purity balls, in which a girl pledges to remain ‘pure’ until her wedding day, symbolically ‘marries’ God, and promises her father that she will remain a virgin until she's a wife, have become a phenomenon in America, now taking place in 48 out of the 50 states.
The balls resemble giant wedding ceremonies, with the girls - all around the age of 12 - wearing white gowns and dancing with their fathers who promise to ‘protect’ their daughter’s chastity.
During the ceremony, fathers present their daughters with purity rings, which they wear to symbolise their commitment to virginity.

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Isn't that the same concept of a debutant ball?

Here is my daughter. She is, speaking in medieval times, of age to marry and bare children. Pick her!

JimmyB27
03-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Purity 'balls'.

*Snigger*

Lavern08
03-25-2014, 10:36 PM
... And I heard that here in NYC there is someone dressing like a Killer Klown and holding balloons on Staten Island.

Ok, I'm glad that thing is up north, 'cause everyone knows how much I'm afraid of clowns.

I'd deck that Dude in a....

Wait for it...

New York Minute! :D

JimmyB27
03-25-2014, 10:44 PM
I have to listen to the radio at work because a co-worker plays theirs at a high volume. And I heard that here in NYC there is someone dressing like a Killer Klown and holding balloons on Staten Island. Evidently, he's showing up randomly and terrorizing people.

I, for one, read Stephen King's It and will be staying the hell out of SI.

What's the creepiest thing that's been reported in your towns?

UPDATE: And we have a picture ..

There was a creepy clown over this side of the pond not too long ago as well. Just up the road from me in Northampton (http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/News/Northampton-News/Spooky-clown-mystery-grips-Northampton-14092013.htm).

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Ok, I'm glad that thing is up north, 'cause everyone knows how much I'm afraid of clowns.

I'd deck that Dude in a....

Wait for it...

New York Minute! :D

hahahaha

I told my sister in Ireland about it and she was tearing up on the phone. I'm a bit on the superstitious side and to hear that IT is trolling around scares the shite out of me. Reminds me of the stories of the Good People.

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 10:48 PM
There was a creepy clown over this side of the pond not too long ago as well. Just up the road from me in Northampton (http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/News/Northampton-News/Spooky-clown-mystery-grips-Northampton-14092013.htm).

My brother emailed me the Sun article about that.

cornflake
03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't exactly say the SI clown is 'terrorizing' people - he's just standing around randomly, waving creepily.

Makes me think of Gacy, not King, but to each their own. :)

I find the story kind of hilarious in the 'punchline of a joke' way, also because one of the local news stations here reported on it and, at the end of the segment, the anchor asked the reporter on site if he'd seen the clown. The reporter said no. The anchor asked how the reporter feels about clowns. The reporter said, 'I'm terrified of them, as you know. Also as the producers well know, which is why I'm out here doing this story, because they have a sick sense of humour."

:ROFL:

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
It's terror for me lol. And how is Gacy better than King?! At least I know how to get rid of IT.

cornflake
03-25-2014, 11:08 PM
It's terror for me lol. And how is Gacy better than King?! At least I know how to get rid of IT.

I didn't say he was better - geez! As far as I'm aware, King hasn't *actually* killed anyone. I just said the clown made me think of Gacy, not King or It. I get it, I just saw it and was reminded of one not the other.

Niav.Corky
03-25-2014, 11:11 PM
I wasn't trying to start anything friend. Just bantering playfully.

mirandashell
03-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah.... A warning in the title about the photo would have been nice...... cos then this particular coulrophobic would have avoided the thread.

Rotes
03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Isn't that the same concept of a debutant ball?

Here is my daughter. She is, speaking in medieval times, of age to marry and bare children. Pick her!

A proper gentleman would pay you multiple potato for such a fine young woman! Perhaps even a donkey to boot! Don't hold your breath on that donkey though.

Anyways, this post made me think of this terrible song. I had to look it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BthE-3bGI8

Ken
03-26-2014, 03:23 PM
It annoys me that clowns have got such a bad rap, mainly b/c of that one serial killer I believe. It isn't right. Clowns bring joy to girls and boys and it is a shame that they are now considered scary. I have always liked clowns myself and find them greatly entertaining. I wish people would quit giving them a bad rap.

Grr.

Hartgrave
03-26-2014, 03:29 PM
So, is it only me that read the above thread and thought of a killer clown giving out purity balls....( How has this not been made into a story yet?)

To the writing machine.....!!!!!

Niav.Corky
03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
It annoys me that clowns have got such a bad rap, mainly b/c of that one serial killer I believe. It isn't right. Clowns bring joy to girls and boys and it is a shame that they are now considered scary. I have always liked clowns myself and find them greatly entertaining. I wish people would quit giving them a bad rap.

Grr.

Ken I am not knocking clowns. In fact I have no fear of clowns in general, I've enjoying their antics at many a nephews' party. But this particular individual is dressing up in the costume of a killer clown, a costume that has said killer clown's picture of it on the cover. So for me, he is creepy as sin, bottom line lol.

Niav.Corky
03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
So, is it only me that read the above thread and thought of a killer clown giving out purity balls....( How has this not been made into a story yet?)

To the writing machine.....!!!!!

I just want to go ahead and pre-order my copy while I've got you here.

Antonin
03-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Honestly, I always wanted to walk around in the middle of the night dressed as a plague doctor and creep people out. So kudos to whoever is doing the clown thing!

A proper gentleman would pay you multiple potato for such a fine young woman! Perhaps even a donkey to boot! Don't hold your breath on that donkey though.

*channels spirit of my late grandmother*

No, you no listen to this person. I give you good deal, I show you. Give you three goat! And pig. See how fat and juicy pig is? I tell you. Fattest pig in village.

True story: my grandma and her mother used to clean their pigs and rub lard all over them before taking them to the market. Always outsold the actual fattest pigs in the village.

arcan
03-27-2014, 10:04 AM
The think the cripiest thing about news around here is the poor language level of the journalists. One example : "Mortal accident yesterday: luckily no one was seriously injured"... that's just one among a lot.

Ken
03-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Ken I am not knocking clowns. In fact I have no fear of clowns in general, I've enjoying their antics at many a nephews' party. But this particular individual is dressing up in the costume of a killer clown, a costume that has said killer clown's picture of it on the cover. So for me, he is creepy as sin, bottom line lol.

Didn't mean to imply you were dissin' clowns. Was just speaking in general about how clowns have become pariahs.

:Hug2:

readmikenow
03-27-2014, 04:04 PM
If the goal of the person dressing in the clown costume is to get attention, I would have to say mission accomplished.

Jersey Chick
03-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Clowns are pariahs because they are creepy. Creeeeepy. With a capital C.

If I saw this guy, I'd probably run him down because... well, because clowns scare the bejeezus outta me.

And I blame Steven Spielberg - the Poltergeist creepy-ass clown (http://youtu.be/vdUkPu_rXo0) sealed the deal...

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 05:27 PM
The think the cripiest thing about news around here is the poor language level of the journalists. One example : "Mortal accident yesterday: luckily no one was seriously injured"... that's just one among a lot.

That's ghastly!! Where is that from?

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Didn't mean to imply you were dissin' clowns. Was just speaking in general about how clowns have become pariahs.

:Hug2:
On that we agree! It's a shame that they started out so nice and are now the awkward second cousin of party-time fun.

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 05:29 PM
And I blame Steven Spielberg - the Poltergiest creepy-ass clown (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/<iframe width=&quot;420&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; src=&quot;//www.youtube.com/embed/vdUkPu_rXo0&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen></iframe>)sealed the deal...

Oh that's one clown that doesn't scare me anymore. Not since the scary movie parody.

Jersey Chick
03-27-2014, 11:36 PM
The damage was already done by the time the scary movie parodies came out... :( I'd never been really fond of clowns before Poltergiest but since? Yikes.

My husband's one aunt collects those freaky things. There was a family party at her house a few years ago and me and one of Jersey Guy's cousins-in-law (ex NYPDer, to boot) hid in the kitchen the whole time. The rest of the house was just too uncomfortable. It was like my own personal hell.

Too. Many. Clowns. :scared:

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 11:45 PM
I hate china dolls for that. Had a night terror about all my gran's dolls coming alive. shudder

mirandashell
03-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Stephen King is to blame for my coulrophobia.

Jersey Chick
03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Stephen King certainly didn't help the clown image out, did he?

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 11:52 PM
I blame him too!!!

mirandashell
03-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I think there's millions of people that blame him! LOL! His kharma must be shot to shit!

Niav.Corky
03-27-2014, 11:56 PM
From Stephen King I have learned to fear:
Old Cars, St. Bernard's, Clowns, Propeller Planes, etc.

Jersey Chick
03-28-2014, 12:01 AM
I won't even watch the opening credits of Cujo...

Ken
03-28-2014, 02:15 PM
A trip to Ringling Bros & Barnum Bailey Circus might alter your perspective, Jersey.
By the end of the show I am certain you will come to love clowns, as much as I.

:partyguy:

Niav.Corky
03-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Haha let's organize an AW field trip!!

Jersey Chick
03-29-2014, 07:36 PM
A trip to Ringling Bros & Barnum Bailey Circus might alter your perspective, Jersey.
By the end of the show I am certain you will come to love clowns, as much as I.

:partyguy:
Actually, I'd rather sit in Aunt Joan's clownhouse for a week before I'd set foot in a Ringling Bros circus. They mistreat their animals and will never see a dime from me.

/soapbox

jjdebenedictis
03-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Isn't fear of clowns rooted in the uncanny valley? I.e. If it's not quite human, but it's pretty freakin' close to human, it scares the bejeebers out of us. We fear clowns because we see them as bogey-men, i.e. fake-men.

I think Stephen King and others were just tapping into that fear; I don't think you can blame them for creating it.

That said, I don't even get creeped out by Kelly Assauers' dolls, so I'm cool with clowns.

Grey aliens, on the other hand... :chair :e2cry: :scared:

Ken
03-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Actually, I'd rather sit in Aunt Joan's clownhouse for a week before I'd set foot in a Ringling Bros circus. They mistreat their animals and will never see a dime from me.

/soapbox

That's right. I read something of the sort years ago. Attributed it to rumor at the time. But I guess there's truth to it. So so much for that field trip. But perhaps another:

Haha let's organize an AW field trip!!

:-)

That said, I don't even get creeped out by Kelly Assauers' dolls

Really. They terrify me, considerably. I am never sure if she has changed her avatar or if the doll is alive and changing of its own accord! Plz keep that to yourself.

Jersey Chick
03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Dolls are just as spooky. One year, my MIL (for reasons known only to her because no one else can figure out why she'd do this) gave me A Raggedy Ann and Andy doll set-thing (they were two separate dolls, but their hands were sewn together, as if they were holding hands.) And to make it worse, they sang, "I Got You, Babe."

They were creepy as hell and I couldn't sleep with them in the house. I made my husband put them in the sunroom and eventually I made him toss them. They seriously scared the bejeezus out of me as well. They were just so creepy.

To this day, I don't know where my MIL ever got the impression I liked Raggedy Ann or Andy. It's a mystery.

GailD
03-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Here's a TV commercial that might make you laugh

Clown chooses insurance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3o5hrvQ5Y)

or not. :D

Warning: It contains a clown!

:D

Niav.Corky
03-31-2014, 04:01 AM
Lol "uncanny valley"? I called it the frankenstein complex

Jay365
03-31-2014, 05:09 PM
We had a creepy story here in my part of the UK a few weeks ago. Two criminals had escaped from a police van and were on the loose. This happened just four miles away, and the police were warning people to lock their doors as these two were classed as dangerous criminals. I never found out if they had recaptured them!

Yes, that particular sort of clown scares me too. If someone started doing that around here, they would be arrested!

Niav.Corky
03-31-2014, 05:14 PM
There is a museum of psychology that has a big exhibit on phobias. Evidently people are known to develop a few walking through it lol.