PDA

View Full Version : Why Does?...

Anitraka
03-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Why does everyone post their poems on here?? Aren't you afraid someone is going to take it and put it in a poem book, publish it, and call it one of their own??

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I pity the foo' that thinks ma poem worth publishin'.

William Haskins
03-10-2006, 02:13 AM
i put mine out there as bait so that truman will post his and i can steal them.

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 02:14 AM
And I jerks off on mine 'cause I know what William's up to, and I like to dirtify him fingers.

Sarita
03-10-2006, 02:16 AM
When you post, there's a date and time stamp. If someone steals it, it would be very easy to prove.

(We also have a password protected area, if you're worried about that sort of thing...)

poetinahat
03-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Let me guess... you work for Microsoft...

Anitraka
03-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Let me guess... you work for Microsoft...

Ummm... No! I was just grown up in a place where you never had privacy and anything you had was takin away.

Anitraka
03-10-2006, 03:04 AM
I pity the foo' that thinks ma poem worth publishin'.

You shouldn't think that way with your writings.
shame-shame. :(

Perks
03-10-2006, 03:07 AM
It's true. He sucks. I don't even know why he bothers.

William Haskins
03-10-2006, 03:07 AM
he needs a spanking.

veinglory
03-10-2006, 03:15 AM
If fears of having your work stolen will keep you awake at night, don't post. generally this isn't a major concern because it doesn't happen often (barely at all) and isn't the end of the world if it does occur.

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Is so! Back when I wrote Ulysses, I posted some sample chapters on the internet and that b!tch Joyce yoinked 'em up like they was a plate fulla' cookies.

Anitraka
03-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Is so! Back when I wrote Ulysses, I posted some sample chapters on the internet and that b!tch Joyce yoinked 'em up like they was a plate fulla' cookies.

That isnt good. sorry for that happening

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 03:24 AM
He's dead now. And that's justice enough for me.

Stew21
03-10-2006, 03:25 AM

Oh good Lord! :D

Anitraka
03-10-2006, 03:28 AM

Oh mann!!!

Perks
03-10-2006, 04:34 AM
He's dead now. And that's justice enough for me.You know, you have some nerve. Speaking ill of the dead, for one thing and making completely unprovable claims on a message board. You'd better watch yourself sweet-cheeks. Ever heard of slander?

William Haskins
03-10-2006, 04:48 AM
james joyce was a good irishman. i will not have him libeled on this board as a thief.

don't make me turn this forum around.

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
And I won't have an Irishman libeled as 'good' on this here board, William.

(I kid! And I wish I was 1/2034498 as brilliant as Joyce.)

William Haskins
03-10-2006, 05:06 AM
well, you do share with him an uncommon obsession with bodily functions.

and quit minimizing your brilliance. that sh1t won't play around here.

trumancoyote
03-10-2006, 05:09 AM
I'll kill you.

And then, uh, fecalate all over yer corpse.

William Haskins
03-10-2006, 05:13 AM
obviously...

Anitraka
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM
How did one simple question turn around into something deadly?

William Haskins
03-11-2006, 12:10 AM
everything is born to die.

Anitraka
03-11-2006, 12:20 AM
everything is born to die.

Strong Comment

mkcbunny
03-11-2006, 09:40 AM
This thread exhibits exactly the kind of wit that makes me want to come back here and poke around when I have work to do and should not be online. You folks must stop if I am to keep being productive. Stop, I say!!

JRH
03-13-2006, 05:55 AM
MkcBunny, Your wish is about to be granted for I am well known as lacking a sense of humor and having less than a full share of wit, (most say at least half is missing).

Anatraka, to answer your original question,, no one is worried about having any poetry stolen, as there is NO point in stealing poetry because, for the most part, it does not pay.

Even if someone takes your work, the most they can hope to get for an individual poem is $350 - $600 for the New Yorker. or $50 for about a half dozen other major markets, (and if you've ever tried it, you know how difficult hitting those markets can be). Almost all other markets pay only in copies and unless they have either National Distribution or are extremely Prestidgeous, they have little more value than posting in Vanity Collections such as Poetry.com or the International Society of Poets, (which is to say NONE.)

Few, if any, poets that I've heard of have ever made a living off their poetry, (even if they were fortunate to win either Nobel or Pulitzer prizes, which can pay about $50,000-$200,000 but are usually a one time reward, and are about as easy to win as the two major National Lotteries, (That both pay in the multi-millions). Other than that, they earn their living from other means (although a fortunate few might be able to earn at least some from related fields like teaching, editiing, or writing criticism or reviews)

On, a practical level, I have heard of fools taking someone's poem and posting it under their own name elsewhere on some website, but what do they gain from that aside from a moment's attention and, (if it's a very good poem), a small degree of respect which will be lost the moment the individual can't come up with more poems of equal quality).

The truth is that "Any" and "All" Poems are protected by copyright from the time they are inscribed "permanently" on any media, although proving such a poem is yours, (if it were worth it to do so), may be very difficult without a "Formal" copyright, filed with the U.S. Copyright Office,

Protecting poetry with "formal" Copyright, for most, costs more than it's worth, (At least $25 per poem) And if you have 200-300 poems in your repetoire, that can get "Very" expensive. On the other hand, a simple copyright notice (Copyright (c) 10 Mar 2006) will warn anybody that you are willing to contest the issue if necessary and will probably be enough to discourage any thieves.

Some may note that there are some types of Poems, (such as Song Lyrics) that have the potential to make much more money than "pure" poems do, but the truth is that the tasks involved with blending those to music and breaking into the music business are at least as steep as those of getting a book contract for poetry without magazine publishing credits, and any success, will lead to expectation of more equal work which the average thief cannot sustain.

In other words.no one is worried because no one needs to be and neither do you.

JRH

P.S. Some people, as curmudgeonly as I, may point out that some poets such as Ogden Nash and Shel Siverstein have made good livings from their verse, but the point is that it is only "Verse" that they wrote, and it was the humorous nature of that Verse that brought them their fame and fortune, for it as "Humorists" not as "Poets" that they are known.