PDA

View Full Version : how far back/specific can Credit checks go? (P.I)

Collin123
03-24-2014, 01:46 PM
My Mc is a P.I. investigating a homicide that happened twelve years ago. The murder was in real time (2002). My question is could my MC access credit card charges ( for gas, cigarettes, etc), and would they give location/items purchased? Thanks in advance!

Chris P
03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm told seven years, however I'm also told you are responsible for the debt forever. It's never been explained to my satisfaction how this jibes with the seven-year statute of limitations. Perhaps it's a criminal versus civil thing, but that's about all I know.

cornflake
03-24-2014, 01:53 PM
My Mc is a P.I. investigating a homicide that happened twelve years ago. The murder was in real time (2002). My question is could my MC access credit card charges ( for gas, cigarettes, etc), and would they give location/items purchased? Thanks in advance!

That's not a credit check, that's accessing/getting records from someone's credit card acct.

Is this for the victim or someone else? If it's for the victim, I don't know how long card companies/banks keep records, but I'd wager they've been purged from the system by now or lost in a software upgrade. They'd also have to be obtained by particular means, either not kosher (the dick has an in someplace), or with the permission of someone who has legal right to the stuff.

If it's a potential suspect's stuff, then the only way he or she is getting that is subterfuge, if it still exists. If it's a still-open card it's more likely, I'd think, but again, I've no idea how long they keep statement stuff.

shadowwalker
03-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Cornflake's correct - the detailed records would be in the credit card statements, not in a credit check, so your character would have to access that through the company. It's unlikely they would keep those, but I don't know what the legal requirements are. A credit check would only (possibly) show the current balance and any late payments. The seven years has to do with bad debts - and I believe that applies only to bankruptcies and/or foreclosures. Individual states also have time limits on "collectibility" so credit reports wouldn't show 'expired' debts (so if the credit card hadn't been used, it most likely wouldn't show up at all).