PDA

View Full Version : LinkedIn Request

kaitie
03-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a request from an agent? I just got one, but it kind of surprises me. It was an agent who had rejected me in the past, so I was surprised to get the message.

I don't really know what the etiquette is for situations like this. I do have a LinkedIn profile, but I got it ages ago and have never really updated it. Would it look bad if my profile is basically nonexistent? Also, would it be uncouth of me to ask what brought on the interest?

I can upgrade my profile (and probably should), but I've just not ever had a request from an agent before, and it seems worthwhile to approve it.

mayqueen
03-24-2014, 05:07 AM
I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it might have been a mass-request kind of thing. I get requests from my former students (I teach college) on a fairly regular basis. I think that there's a feature on there that mass-requests everyone in your email contact list.

But I'm also not on LinkedIn and have no idea how it works.

Medievalist
03-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a request from an agent? I just got one, but it kind of surprises me. It was an agent who had rejected me in the past, so I was surprised to get the message.

When you join LinkedIn asks for access to your contacts, and then attempts to locate them on LinkIn, and "contacts" them on your behalf.

Sage
03-24-2014, 06:24 AM
And then does it again from time to time. Sometimes I get multiple contacts e-mailing me a request at the same time, and then a second reminder e-mail a week later from them.

kaitie
03-24-2014, 07:05 AM
When you join LinkedIn asks for access to your contacts, and then attempts to locate them on LinkIn, and "contacts" them on your behalf.

That would make a lot of sense. It seemed really odd to me that I'd get a request out of nowhere. Does that mean it wouldn't be rude for me to ignore it? I mean, if it's someone legitimately making a request I don't want to ignore it, but if it's just a mass email thing, I'm not really interested. I guess I just don't want to be rude about the situation considering this isn't someone I would want to offend.

wendymarlowe
03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
LinkedIn actually does this without permission, sometimes - it periodically sends requests on its own. I deleted my LinkedIn account because of this and I *still* get "requests" from people I barely know.

Melville
03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Ignore it.

LinkedIn probably did this on its own...

...unless you received a personal note with the invitation addressing you by name and mentioning specific things about you and/or your submission. If not, it's just a mass invitation. The agent probably knows nothing about it.

And, just so you know, LI will keep trying by sending "reminders". It's best to unsubscribe to reminders to keep from being constantly annoyed by it.

kaitie
03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Sounds good. Thanks!

Debbie V
03-25-2014, 05:22 AM
It may also be a good idea to review your privacy settings.