Front Book Cover Thoughts?

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Your proportions seem off, and being off has cause you to waste too much space on that circuit-board background.

My thought would be to blow the eye up until it was being clipped by the edges of the cover, and then format your text into the small area that is left.

Work on your transition from board to eye a bit as well: the foggy floating thing isn't working for me.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this sounds harsh. I always try to give very honest critiques.

The background looks "clip-arty". It is flat and there is no texture to it so it doesn't mesh well with the eye graphic. I would try to find an actual circuit board picture if you want to continue that route. I like the picture of the eye and the top blends well, but the bottom does not blend so nicely.

There is a lack of hierarchy in your text also. The title doesn't really stand out. You could make it larger or have some color variation between it and your name. The title font and the font for your name don't flow very well together either.

I would rethink the title font, going with something larger and not distressed and try making it a brighter color, perhaps pulling a brighter variation of the circuit board green, while leaving your name that same shade of gray it is. Also try the title on one line instead of two to see how it looks.

Also, provided you keep the other elements where they are, you might want to bump your name down just a touch, it's throwing the balance off just a bit(a larger title may change that too).

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... nice idea, but somehow it's not quite working for me.

The eye doesn't seem to fit in - I second the suggestion to make it bigger and integrate it better - and the title needs to be larger and easier to read. Reduce the thing to the size of an Amazon thumbnail and see how it looks. (Even if this is going to be a print book, if you're doing any e-sales at all, people are more likely to see a thumbnail than the full-sized image. Right now, I can read the title, but it looks kinda bland.)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I like the concept of the cover, and I actually like the background, but the eye does seem to float a bit. Perhaps make the eye bigger, then fade the skin around it into the circuitry background?

You might consider making the title larger, too.

Good luck with it. :)