• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

science fantasy romance computer game

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Well, if the title of this thread hasn't scared you off, I'll explain that I am the lead designer and writer for a computer game, but designing is taking up so much of my time that I really need a writing partner. Also, I just always enjoy doing collaborative writing, I find it more inspiring to have someone to bounce ideas off of than to work by myself. The project is all-volunteer, but we are aiming for commercial publication in about 2 years, so there's at least a remote chance you could make some money.

Anyway, I need someone who can get into the existing design for the game's science fantasy world, help develop the characters (about half the cast or a little less) who haven't been fully developed yet, create a branching/interactive romance story outline for each character, and finally help write the actual scripts for each dialogue choice.

Experience with any of the following would help you: writing romance, writing interactive fiction, writing science fiction and fantasy, writing any sort of script, playing RPGs especially Final Fantasy 7 and 8, playing dating sims or similar romance-based games such as Harvest Moon, or watching anime.

So, if anyone's interested, here's the design document so you can learn more about the game:
http://members.gamedev.net/sunandshadow/XenallureDesignDocV2.doc

If you want to join, please reply here or PM me. :)

C.H. Campbell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly if I could help you, but I thought I'd reply anyway because I'm interested in what you're describing. I've recently started writing and will be majoring in English this fall. I have played final fantasy seven, (loved it) some sim type games, and while I'm not an anime buff, I have seen Akira. Anyway, since no one responded I thought I'd throw a line out anyway.

Vulpes_ignis

Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy and have ghostwritten a child's fantasy story. I also produce my own books (from story ideas to design to printing at home to assembly--hand stitched--to selling). I played Final Fantasy and RPGs, too. If you need someone to play ideas off of, I'll respond. My -mail is [email protected]

**Note** Freelance Writer trying to make it or else wife wants me to teach, Yikes! So any funding is good funding.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Huh no replies for weeks and then 2 all of a sudden?

C.H. Campbell - did you download the design document linked above? If you will note the red section on page 36-37 these are two examples of what I am currently looking for: a 4-5 paragraph synopsis of how the relationship between two characters (1 or 3 might also work) and the player's character might develop in a good or bad way over the course of the game, generating some plot along the way. Also on page 18-30 are the character descriptions; it would be necessary to further develop the descriptions of the two characters to match and explain their roles in the synopsis. In particular I am looking for someone to develop any of: Steve, Lillith, Kitten, Falcon, and the unnamed seduceable spiritual.

You could either try just writing a synopsis and character descriptions, or you could bounce ideas for the synopsis and descriptions off me before writing them up if you prefer a more cooperative way of working. But either way you definitely must read the whole design document first so your creations will be consistent. The synopsis would function as your trial assignment, I would accept you as an official staff writer and member of the team if you can produce something I want to use in the game. We use this same method for artists too - they have to produce something useable to be accepted as an official team member.

Vulpes_ignis - all the ideas I have thought of so far are in the design document, if you want to look at it I always welcom any suggestions.

C.H. Campbell

Registered
Reaction score
I did download the pdf. As it is MASSIVE, It might take a little while for me to completely read through it as you requested. I looked at the characters today and over the next few days I'll try to at least familiarize with all of it as best as I can. If it's not over completely over my head I'll focus on the characters you specified. And Vulpes_Ignis might consider having a look as well.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have some experience writing for video games and video game mods. I'd be glad to help.

C.H. Campbell

Registered
Reaction score
sunandshadow

If bartholomew has actual experience with this, I'd suggest he look at it first.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have no problem with you both taking a look, the project is quite large and could easily be worked on by several writers. Also I've had 6 people so far indicate an interest in this project then back out after reading the design doc (for various reasons - homophobia, religious objecions, lack of time, unwillingness to write interactive romance, and a broken hand.) But I'm going to be out of town for a week, so why don't you both take the week to look at it and see whether you really want to try writing this sort of thing. I have no problem mentoring and helping someone adjust to an unfamiliar format or subject, but enthusiasm about the concept and willingness to actually spend time working on it are essential.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
I read through the doc and would love to work on this project with a group of other writers. I write romance novels and in the past year or so I have started writing paranormal/fantasy romance type of novels.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
tarra74 said:
I read through the doc and would love to work on this project with a group of other writers. I write romance novels and in the past year or so I have started writing paranormal/fantasy romance type of novels.

Okay, here's the description of the trial assignment again, please have a go at it. :) And like I said, I'll be out of town for a week, I'm not sure whether I'll have any internet access so I may not be able to answer until I get back.

If you will note the red section on page 36-37 these are two examples of what I am currently looking for: a 4-5 paragraph synopsis of how the relationship between two characters (1 or 3 might also work) and the player's character might develop in a good or bad way over the course of the game, generating some plot along the way. Also on page 18-30 are the character descriptions; it would be necessary to further develop the descriptions of the two characters to match and explain their roles in the synopsis. In particular I am looking for someone to develop any of: Steve, Lillith, Kitten, Falcon, and the unnamed seduceable spiritual.

You could either try just writing a synopsis and character descriptions, or you could bounce ideas for the synopsis and descriptions off me before writing them up if you prefer a more cooperative way of working. But either way you definitely must read the whole design document first so your creations will be consistent. The synopsis would function as your trial assignment, I would accept you as an official staff writer and member of the team if you can produce something I want to use in the game. We use this same method for artists too - they have to produce something useable to be accepted as an official team member.

Status
Not open for further replies.