FYI Roberta Brown Lit Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I recently email queried this agency about my paranormal romance, and after three days received this reply:

"Sorry, at this time the agency is only reviewing erotica. Nothing further. Good luck with your agent search!
Roberta Brown

The Web site (www.brownliteraryagency.com) states this:

The agency has a full client list at this time and
will not be reviewing any material until

April 2006.
Query then, please

So there you go. Erotica authors, good luck! At least the rejection was fast--woo hoo!

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her too a few months ago. Quick response...sorry but...no mystery/romance.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Thanks for posting this. My friend recently queried Ms. Brown, so I sent along your information to her.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
dragonjax said:
Thanks for posting this. My friend recently queried Ms. Brown, so I sent along your information to her.

Glad to be of service. A rejection should be worth something, eh?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
clara bow said:
Glad to be of service. A rejection should be worth something, eh?

Heh. Actually, my friend also writes a lot of erotica, so she's very excited about this info.

elknutswife

Obsessive Email Checker
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ms. Brown on Saturday (email) and received a request for a partial that stated she was "selectively reading material." My book is a historical romance suspense, so you can probably try an email query and see what happens :)

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I could only find 1 email address on their site. Is that the one you use for the query? Under submissions it doesn't really specify.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I have several friends repped by Roberta in regular romance, and she's doing fine by them. But yeah--erotica is hot right now and they're easy sales to multiple lines, so I presume that's where her NEW clients are coming from. She's a nice and knowledgable lady, though, so if you have erotica, I'd definitely give her a try. :)

elknutswife

Obsessive Email Checker
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the good luck wishes! Actually, my book is an historical romantic suspense, not erotica - although come to think of it, I wonder if she knew that when she requested it? Hmmm. My query letter did not mention erotica, but it did say the characters engaged in an illicit love affair (they do, but the details are pretty tame) But it also specified, "a 99,000 historical romantic suspense." Oh well, I guess if I get a rejection saying that she is only taking erotica now, I'll have to rethink the wording in the query. :)

The email I used is the one listed on the website and on Publisher's Marketplace [email protected] I think it doesn't mention it in submissions because I believe she prefers snail mail. But on Publisher's Marketplace it is also now saying both that she is no longer accepting queries, and also (a little further down) that you can email a query...so that is what I did :)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
question

Roberta Brown's Web site currently states she isn't reviewing new material right now. Anyone know that status, or queried her anyway? I'm dying to query her, but I don't want to ruin my chances, either. thanks!

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this update comes nearly two years later than the previous post, but I've just had a lovely interaction with Roberta Brown. I queried her regarding my historical romance. She asked for a partial. The very next day she sent her regrets. I emailed her to thank her for her time and advice. We wound up emailing about 3 times back and forth. She was absolutely lovely and encouraging. It is so nice to meet the person behind the 'agent' title.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Just another update...(and I hope I'm not jinxing myself) I emailed a query for a paranormal romance on May the 7th, and received a request on June 23rd. I still haven't heard anything back yet, but I'll try to remember to update when I do!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Just queried her again for a new paranormal romance. Like everyone else on here, when I queried her for my last novel, I got a really encouraging rejection. She seems like a really lovely person and a great agent. *Fingers crossed* And good luck to all the others!

UntouchableGreen

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Roberta on 7/14 and got a partial the next day! I know a few people reped by her (though they're romance and I'm YA with a little romance in it) Haven't heard anything yet . . .

shelly2010

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting to hear back on partial

I'm considering querying Roberta Brown as soon as her agency opens up again in March. Sooner, if I get some editorial interest in a mms I'm submitting right now.

Anyone have any recent news?

I'm waiting to hear back on a partial from Roberta Brown (Kate Angell). I sent it Jan. 2, I believe. Got a response to my June query (LOL, I had given up on it) at around Christmas and I sent my partial soon after. I'm hoping to hear back before she reopens for submissions but... who knows.

shelly2010

Registered
Reaction score
So it looks like she's no longer accepting romance submissions

Well, Roberta passed on my partial. She was very nice about it though. I went back to her web site and saw that she's no longer open to romance submissions anymore. (Unless you're already agented and are looking for new representation.) She says she has a full client list. Ah, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.