oh, (bleep)

WonderCat

Registered
Reaction score
So I did that thing I never thought I would do. I am very, very neurotic about checking and double-checking everything before I send things out to agents, but this time, well, I got distracted and screwed up.

I got a full request from a very, very well-known, successful agent. Someone who doesn't request much, with whom I would love to work.

And then I sent her the version of the MS that didn't have the final proofreading done.

How did I do this? I have excuses, but they don't really matter. The issue is that the version I sent had a CRAPTON of typos in the second half (long story... editing with kids in the house is a bad idea.) They're just typos, but there are a lot of them. I only sent the full yesterday, and discovered the mistake today because I had another full request and checked the date on the file before I attached it.

So. Do I just vomit a few times and then let it go, or do I send an appropriately mortified email to the original agent asking if I can send the correct version?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Send an apologetic email with the correct version. Agents do understand that writers are human. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It happens. It's one of the most stressful times in a writer's life. Pick any agent you want to name, who has been in business for longer than five years. I'm willing to bet that what you did, someone else did much worse to them.

Just own up to it with appropriate humility and humor. If the agent blows a gasket at you for this, likely you wouldn't want to work with them down the road.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I did this exact same thing. Sent an email apologizing and asking Ms Amazing Agent to read the more recent version. I figured I only have one chance and don't want typos to distract her. She sent back a very nice email and said no worries at all. Whew.

WonderCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll email her this morning and ask if I can send the corrected one. I'd rather her think I'm a flake than a person who deliberately sends out work full of mistakes. I still don't entirely understand how I managed to do it in the first place, which isn't helping, either.

I got another full request late last night, so that takes the sting out of it a bit. It's just that this first agent reps two of my all-time absolute favorite authors, and I'm just sort of a wreck about the whole querying affair this time around.

KMastro

Registered
Reaction score
WonderCat Congratulations on getting a full request by the respected agent! That's wonderful. Good luck!