Signed Copy - stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't, sorry, but I would recommend calling your local independent bookstore and asking them--most indies have rolls of those and would know where to get them.

TLHines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tlhines.com
Here's my chance to plug some friends, who are incredibly nice folks and run a little project called Sticker Robot. Get 1000 full-color stickers for $140. Tell 'em Tony Hines sent you; maybe they'll buy me a beverage.

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
You can get them at your local Office Depot, Office Max, or Kinkos too. As I recall, lots cheaper than $140. Special order, but just a few days' turnaround.

Citizen Rob

I'm swell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rummelhudson.com
A marginally related question: how about bookplates? I've seen a number of author sites offering them, but when I try to find providers online, what I get are the "This book belongs to..." variety, rather than something for author signatures.

Sariah

Add me as someone else who is very interested in where people are getting book plates from when I'm totally unable to find them.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A marginally related question: how about bookplates? I've seen a number of author sites offering them, but when I try to find providers online, what I get are the "This book belongs to..." variety, rather than something for author signatures.

What do the author sites' bookplates look like and say? Perhaps the sites get the bookplates printed up exclusively for them?

All I can think of is something like this, that the publisher obviously printed specifically for the author and book:
walker_plate.jpg

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Heck, there's a LOT cheaper place than that! Try Earthly Charms. You can get them for about $10 for a roll of 100. Some are even cheaper, and there's a variety of styles. I also recommend their bookmarks and other promo items. Dirt cheap and especially for authors. :)

Oh, and they do bookplates too.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, there's a LOT cheaper place than that! Try Earthly Charms. You can get them for about $10 for a roll of 100. Some are even cheaper, and there's a variety of styles. I also recommend their bookmarks and other promo items. Dirt cheap and especially for authors. :)

Oh, and they do bookplates too.

And now I know why you're an Absolute Sage, Cathy. Thanks!

Reaction score
Book Signing Posters...

Forgive me if this is tangential, but I've searched as much of the "Book Promotion Ideas and Advice" as I can without going cuckoo and didn't see anything on this particular question.

Does anyone have any info on the best retailers for book signing posters? I'm looking for a short run (not bulk orders). I hired a publicist and she's indicated it'd be best to use 12 X 16 cover art with "Book Signing by..." on it mounted on an easel-backed foam core. Does anyone know of anybody who provides this service at a reasonable (okay, cheap) rate for a limited number of posters? I'd probably only have ten or less signings in the next few months, if that. Has any other small press author done this prior to book signings? If so, how did you approach this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Any Advice On Bookmarks?

Still hoping someone might chime in with some advice, though I admit it's a little off the topic of stickers. I'm reading the info on book signings and promotion here and am grateful for the insight from authors more experienced / successful than myself.

I'm setting up my first book signings, but I'm having trouble with (of all things) bookmarks. I tried initially designing them myself on Word, but I felt they looked amateurish. Design companies seem to charge quite a bit to create and then print the bookmarks (one was $179 + the printing / shipping costs). I"m trying to save money, but don't seem to have much skill in this area. Anyone have any advice on bookmark-generating software, printing companies, or the like? Is this promotional tool useful? I'd appreciate any ideas on the issue.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Try www.vistaprint.com I order the oversized postcards (Look for specials where they offer 50 cards for free; you pay shipping only) and I put three bookmarks on a card (long-ways) = 150 bookmarks for about $6.00. I upload my book cover and then put a brief tag underneath, then a couple of reviews, and then my website and the ISBN. People like bookmarks - they'll grab them even if that's the only thing they take from a signing.

Reaction score
Thank you...

I appreciate the helpful advice. Though it's been a few days since I posted the question (and thus I did already place an order with another internet site for bookmarks), I will visit the site and bear this in mind to save money in the future. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Try www.vistaprint.com I order the oversized postcards (Look for specials where they offer 50 cards for free; you pay shipping only) and I put three bookmarks on a card (long-ways) = 150 bookmarks for about $6.00. I upload my book cover and then put a brief tag underneath, then a couple of reviews, and then my website and the ISBN. People like bookmarks - they'll grab them even if that's the only thing they take from a signing.

Allie, that's BRILLIANT!! I never would have thought to use the oversized cards as bookmarks! I do the cards all the time, and they've been wonderful (one nifty thing to do with the oversized cards is do an excerpt of the book on the back. You can pass them out to passers-by and when they read the back and get hooked, they come back!

But it never occurred to me to do bookmarks (and me with my fancy papercutter that hubby uses for photos... :eek: )

Thanks! :Hug2:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Ah, I beg to differ. The price per unit to print them on your own printer isn't so bad when you're handing out a dozen, but when you move up to sending out hundreds, that ink/toner is going to eat you ALIVE. I once tallied the moment that the bill for toner reached $125 on my inkjet ($24.95 each--one tri-color and one b/w, so it only took two b/w and three tri-color to reach that mark.) IMO they give better colors than color laser, but that's beside the point. I'd printed one hundred half-sheet flyers (meaning there's two on each page.) The same price would have gotten me 350 from my local printer.

Last edited:

Stuart Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stuartclark.net
Cathy,

I think we're talking at crossed purposes here. I'm talking about printing "Signed Copy" stickers - not bookmarks or postcards.

Black text on a white sticker? I could print hundreds of them on a single ink cartridge (the chance would be a fine thing) :)

I guess the bigger question is, and which is perhaps what the original poster was getting at is - do you want simple "Signed Copy" stickers (which you can print at home) or are you looking for professionally designed, arty looking "Signed Copy" stickers - in which case, you may want to outsource - and then your costs are going to go up considerably.

Stuart

sakrison

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is tangential, but I've searched as much of the "Book Promotion Ideas and Advice" as I can without going cuckoo and didn't see anything on this particular question.

Does anyone have any info on the best retailers for book signing posters? I'm looking for a short run (not bulk orders). I hired a publicist and she's indicated it'd be best to use 12 X 16 cover art with "Book Signing by..." on it mounted on an easel-backed foam core. Does anyone know of anybody who provides this service at a reasonable (okay, cheap) rate for a limited number of posters? I'd probably only have ten or less signings in the next few months, if that. Has any other small press author done this prior to book signings? If so, how did you approach this? Thanks.

You can design and print your own poster on 11x14 cardstock, available at Office Max, Staples, etc., then mount it on self-adhesive foam core, available at the same outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.