• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Okay here's a question for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
I'm writing a YA novel about, well, I won't tell you too much, except that the main character has a book blog and she's highly vested in helping out the authors she loves. So...would it be terribly lame if the MC was to do a live Skype interview IN the novel, and I wrote the scene in? I think it would help show how much she loves her blog and books, and definitely goes towards showing the reader as much, but I'm just wondering what other people think of that idea...

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
You're asking if it's lame for her to have a scene where she does a live skype interview?

I don't see why it would. Skype is totally a thing, after all.

Or, am I completely missing what you were asking?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be fine to have that. If I were doing it I might not mention Skype; I might just say a live interview online or something similar.

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
Thanks, alleycat :)

TomKnighton I'm just wondering if people would find it boring for the MC to do that in a book. Like, if I should just say she did it and move on or actually do the scene to show how much she loves books and this particular author (who will be made up, of my own imagination, so as not to bring down the hammer of wrath on me from an existing author should I mention their name...ah you know what I mean ;) )

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
TomKnighton I'm just wondering if people would find it boring for the MC to do that in a book. Like, if I should just say she did it and move on or actually do the scene to show how much she loves books and this particular author

It's as boring as you make it. So... make it not boring.

By that I mean, don't just have a longwinded interview that has absolutely no bearing on the plot, just to show that she loves books and this author - because if it's just characterisation, those two things in themselves aren't really exciting enough to sustain a long scene. But make the interview somehow significant to the plot as well as engaging and entertaining, and you've got a perfectly justifiable reason for making it a scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So...would it be terribly lame if the MC was to do a live Skype interview IN the novel, and I wrote the scene in? I think it would help show how much she loves her blog and books, and definitely goes towards showing the reader as much

Nothing wrong with that idea, but make sure it isn't just there to show what she does. It needs to be part of the story, which means it needs to have conflict and tension. Otherwise it will be boring.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with alleycat: probably better to not mention Skype by name. Lest your story end up in the company of all those works of popular culture ca. 2006 that mentioned Myspace.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I wouldn't say Skype, so that you don't make your book dated, but the scene will be as boring or exciting as you write it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If it's just about being a gushy fangirl, it seems redundant, especially if you've already established how she's so into the books that she's actively working to promote her favorite authors. Just mention that she does the interview and keep it off-screen.

If it serves a purpose - if something comes out in the interview that changes her relationship with an author, or makes her reconsider a life spent promoting others instead of herself - then show the interview. (Maybe the author forgets they're live, and makes a face or a comment to someone in the background that makes her realize what they really think of her... sort of a wake-up moment where she realizes that her gushy feelings aren't being reciprocated. Or she's struggling to interview them and they're coming across like an idiot - some brilliant writers can't interview worth a darn - and a little of the fangirl luster falls away as she realizes they're just as human as she is.)

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
I agree with the others. It's really what you write it to be. If you're bored while writing a scene with a Skype interview, the readers going to be bored while reading it. If you don't think you can write it to not be boring, just say it happened.

John Chambers

Registered
Reaction score
Stay away from using the words Skype or other products unless the story absolutely needs it. As to the actual idea. Its no different than any other dialogue, just slightly quirky. Go for it. It'll work based on how well it is written.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I agree. I wouldn't say Skype, so that you don't make your book dated, but the scene will be as boring or exciting as you write it.

Books get dated as soon as you write them. What we take as wonderful-technology-which-will-last-forever...

Just does not work. Ever. Unless you have a crystal ball and you can really see around future's corner.

(But what's wrong with mentioning myspace if the book is set in 2006? It's a real thing that people really enjoyed and used. It's perfect for setting a book right in the middle of that time period. No different than setting your story in 1950, 1850 or 1055.)

Status
Not open for further replies.