View Full Version : Is there a name for this type of image?

03-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Is there a category of art images that looks like one thing when taken as a whole, but upon a closer inspection, the components are something else entirely?

For example, The Sisters Brothers cover -


03-18-2014, 01:59 AM
I think this is a kind of figure-ground illusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-ground_(perception))?

03-18-2014, 02:25 AM
Yep. That's the sort of thing, I think. You're a right smart Torgo, aintcha?

03-18-2014, 02:56 AM
In very general terms, it's a mosaic or collage.

Gale Haut
03-18-2014, 06:12 AM
In very general terms, it's a mosaic or collage.

That's a large image made from small images. That doesn't quite seem the same.

03-18-2014, 08:23 AM
In general terms: 'Optical Illusions'?

03-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Cool cover. I'd call it stylized and graphic. It's reminiscent of the art of Saul Bass (https://www.google.com/search?q=saul+bass&client=firefox-a&hs=0Bm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2PAoU_iELuri2AWFgYGwBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ), the famous movie title sequence designer from the 50's & 60's.