This morning I woke up...

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
...freaking shaken right out of bed lol! 4.4 earthquake - my first ever BIG quake (felt a small one in Toronto a few years back but that was nothing compared to this). Worst thing is? I didn't know what the heck to do and I'm visiting a friend's house...and they're out of town as of three am this morning! I ran to a doorway and according to the news, you're not supposed to do that :O uh oh!

Anyone else in LA? Hope you're safe!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well, there's some morning excitement for you! I probably would have done the same thing, going to a doorway, and that's if I even registered that it was an earthquake. Only one I've been through, we just thought there was construction shaking the building. Glad you're okay. :)

Niki03

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds terrifying! Stay safe! I have no Earthquake advice or experience... I live in Colorado, no earthquakes here...

Last edited:

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
Thanks TA and Niki - I'm fine, it was just....well, earth shaking lol. I'm glad everyone in the area seems to be okay. Just like everyone else I'm glued to the news. I'm from Vancouver, and I don't know if we've ever had an earthquake that I felt lol!

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
The only time I've felt an earthquake was when I was a kid living in northeast Arkansas, near the New Madrid fault. It wasn't a very big one, but I somehow recognized it for what it was. While my parents ran to the center of the house, I ran out the back door. When I got outside, I looked around and wondered where everyone was. No damage except for a little cracked plaster.

Glad you're okay.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Note to Anna:

Things to Do When You're in Hollywood?

Make sure you experience a 4.4 EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!! :tongue

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're ok!!

We had a small one in VA a few years ago. All the pictures on the wall shook, and I ran to the door, too. Nothing major though. Thank goodness!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Safest thing to do in an earthquake is either go outside or get close to a wall away from windows and bric-a-brac. A doorway can topple on top of you, but if you're near a wall, a triangle of debris may protect you. Something like this /_l.

I use to live in San Diego and have fielded a 5 point something quake.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Glad you're ok!!

We had a small one in VA a few years ago. All the pictures on the wall shook, and I ran to the door, too. Nothing major though. Thank goodness!

You're probably talking about the same one I am. August 2011? Yeah, none of us figured out what it was until we talked to people outside and were like "wait, you felt that too?"

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, not too familiar with earthquakes. I live in the south/the midwest so the worst we get are tornados. Luckily where I reside not one in my lifetime has been deadly which I logically equate to being near Walmart's HQ. They hold a power over nature that none can explain. Must be that shareholders meeting they hold each year. Timberlake I believe was here a few years ago for that. I guess bringing sexy back helped soothe natures soul–at least for this area. God forbid the fifty-thousand walmarts here get wracked by a force of nature.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the (English) actor Alan Rickman talking about what it was like to experience an earthquake (also in the middle of the night) for the first time while he was in Hollywood. He said he thought to himself, "I know there's something you're supposed to do... I know there's something you're supposed to do... But I think what I will do is cling to the bed and whimper."

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
We had one here in Derby City. One of my cats hid in the bedroom the night before. Come 4:15 a.m. the bed turns into a rollercoaster ride. My first thought was to wonder what the bleep the cat was doing to shake the bed so bleeping much. I am trying to wake enough to get her to stop whatever it is she is doing when the low deep rumble down in the ground tells me it is an earthquake. I go from halfway groggy to totally awake in 0.03 seconds. The cat is frozen solid on the bed. Her eyes are begging me to stop whatever it is I am doing.

Last edited:

Jay365

Registered
Reaction score
The cat is frozen solid on the bed. Her eyes are begging me to stop whatever it is I am doing.

Me and my OH were begging each other to stop whatever we were doing! Early morning, many many years ago. Fortunately, we don't get that many earthquakes here in the UK... that one was about a 4, I seem to remember!

I hope it settles down out there, stay safe.