Stuck

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck! Where do I begin? Okay, I'll try to explain this as best I can in as few words as possible.

I'm writing a story that is already over 200,000 words. So far it has gone pretty smoothly. Its about a young woman who lives at the beach and meets two men within a few weeks of each other, in the same way, walking on the beach at night. Purely coincidence. Eventually she learns to trust them, and the romances begin to take form. First emotional, then sexual. You can probably surmise the slow buildup, due to the length of the story! At one point, before having sex with either of them, she confesses to one of them that she is seeing someone else at the same time. Of course then, the whole story comes out. Very long story short, she finds out they are room mates, friends, and in the same musical band.

After a couple of months of some really emotional scenes and angst, the three of them start to communicate, and do get together, and you guessed it--they become a threesome. Not right away... at first the guys see her separately, but then, formerly repressed feelings begin to arise between the guys as well, one thing leads to another, and it comes about naturally.

Another of the band members is very handsome and a flirt, and all the girls go for him. He's not your average guy, but very deep, sweet and he pours the charm on. At first he just flirts with her. A wink here, a lingering touch there. He is known to be a flirt, so she decides its all very harmless. But then it begins to increase in intensity, even though nothing sexual has happened.

Then one day he gets a rare chance in complete darkness, standing way too close to her, along with touching her cheek, whispering softly in her ear, that kind of thing. Then he kisses her lightly and briefly. She decides to stick to her conclusion that he must just be a bit of a scamp. An innocuous one. After it has happened twice, however, she gets concerned. She is in love with her two boyfriends, and now, the last time this happened, she actually felt a sharp pang of desire for this third guy. This distresses her greatly.

Guy #3 comes to her house to talk to her about it one day. Get it out in the open. She accuses him of "taking advantage" in the dark, even though the guy would never force her. He's a very gentle type. Fact is, she never had time to resist or pull away from him, as both kisses happened very quickly. The last time, he hugged her as well, and she found herself unable to pull away because of the lust that caught her completely off guard.

Now she's very concerned that she shouldn't be feeling this way about him. She loves the other guys, and has now confessed to them about what happened with guy #3. They are both shocked, of course, as they hadn't had a clue. She's a "nice girl." Which is true--she just happened to get herself into a situation where she's in over her head, and finds she can't handle it.

Finally... my question is, where do I go from here? I have several possible scenarios.

#1 Continue to have this flirty relationship with guy #3 and the other two guys learn to accept it, and eventually, even embrace it, but no sex is ever involved... with #3, that is.

#2 This causes a huge rift between herself and guy #1 and 2, and more angst ensues. (No idea what would happen after this).

#3 She continues to see guy #3 in secret, and guy #1 and #2 continue to feel jealousy, not knowing if something is still going on or not. This would not really be in line with her character, as she's not the slutty type at all.

My main concern is not making her out to be the sleep-around type. She truly loves the two original guys, and I've added the flirting with the third guy as a twist in the story, for interest, drama. How do I have her maintain her flirtations with guy #3 without making her out to be someone the reader loves at first, but grows to hate because of this?

Last edited:

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
200K? really? and it's not done yet? i donno if i could read something that long unless it detailed the big bang, the expansion of the universe and the rise and reason of man and then some...

sorry, i don't mean to be glib, i understand this is your baby. it's just too long and you'll have to really trim it down -- but you probably already know that.

as for the answer to your question -- i like drama, suspense and the unexpected, and i'm probably not the only reader to say that. have her fall for the UPS guy and leave the other three in the dust? just kidding.

do the unexpected, that's my advice.

Zoe X. Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zoexrider.tumblr.com
Where's #4, where she tells him she'll only get involved with him if he gets involved with all of them, because she wants everything aboveboard? He's not into men and tries to change her mind (but don't make him slimy about that). She's steadfast though, and he has to give in if she's what he wants. But the reality of it, when they try to do it, scares him off. Now he's stuck watching her have this romance with his band mates, and he can't stop thinking about her. Finally he overcomes his fears and they gently introduce him into the relationship. Or something. (You'd have to consider the other guys as well. Maybe they think it'd be fun to have their way with the flirty member of the band who attracts all the ladies.)

I agree with zarada that 200k with a major plot point still to be introduced is crazy long, but I wouldn't worry about it now. Get your first draft done; the pruning can come later.

(Also, I don't think you could sell this as any kind of romance if you go with #3. Cheating is a deal-breaker there.)

Last edited:

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
What is the worst thing you can do to your FMC? That's where you should go.

You might also want to look for places where you can break this up into a series. 200K works for established writers of epic fantasy, but it's a rare romance that goes past 120K, even 100K. And readers love series.

White

friendly white tiger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsrefuge.com
I kinda agree with Zoe. It would be fun to bring guy three into the existing trio. This could suddely change the whole dynamic, adding to the excitement. She could want to be with him and maybe get a kick from the idea of him being with guy 1 and 2. From guy 3's perspective, maybe he has been curious about it but wants to hang back, leading to almost a seduction from the other three.

I also agree that this is too long for one book, and this might make a good place to break it. They have closure on one issue of all having gotten together, but the issue of the feelings for guy 3 remain. Sorry, I'm rambling a bit but I hope my ramblings have helped.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
You have to be very, very careful to keep her from coming off like a cheater. Romance(erotica/whatever) HATE cheating in their books. I'd go with her not getting involved with him unless the other two men approve and her being totally upfront with the other two guys about what is going on. This isn't just about her, but their friendship as well with their bandmate. Where you go from there is up to you. I would also suggest that you finish writing the whole thing, then split it up into two books. Release them like two weeks to a month apart and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! I should have been clear--I wasn't thinking, at least not in the near future, of publishing, its a fanfic. Didn't really want to mention that, as it's probably looked down on here where so many of you are already published. Anyway, that's why I wasn't particularly concerned with how long it is. I don't like strict guidelines. Perhaps that's why I'n sticking with fanfics for now.

So I've decided it will be either #1 or #4. Probably #1, as I can't imagine dealing with emotions in addition to sex between four people. Three is hard enough already! But I do like the idea of her getting a kick of out the other two guys being with guy #3, and I also like all of them gently persuading him, but am still hesitant because I'm feeling TWO guys is bad enough, but THREE would turn a lot of people off. Correct me if I'm wrong. I like Zoe's idea of the third guy being scared off, and then not being able to resist in the end, so who knows?

OldBrassCat, what is the worst thing I can do with my FMC? Wow, what a thought! Never thought of it that way. Any ideas, just for kicks? Because I can't think of much that is more awful than what she's already been through with the first two guys (angst, jealousy, etc.).

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think since this is fanfic, your audience (if you're posting it for people to read) might not expect all of the same things as readers of original romance. So I wouldn't necessarily let market standards influence you too much. For example, a lot of people enjoy very long fics, so length limits aren't such a big deal.

Do you have an endgame in mind? I would try to stick to what you see as in-character for these characters. And do you think that the introduction of guy #3 is really a twist that you need/want? Is there a conflict in the story, and has it already been resolved?

I find that with fanfic, sometimes very long stories like yours don't really have a clear plot or narrative arc to them. Or the story starts out with one, but the writer ends up drawing it out or continuing the story past its technical ending, and it becomes a bit like a soap opera, with new twists every couple chapters or so. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this if the writer is having fun. But it does make it difficult to resolve the story sometimes, and if you want this story to have a novel-like structure, I would be careful about taking the story in a different direction like this. One thing you could consider is ending this story at a logical point where the main plot is resolved, and use the story about guy #3 coming in and disrupting things as a sequel. It's your choice, but it could help give you a better sense of what story you're telling. Maybe the first story is about these three characters figuring out their relationship, and the sequel is the story about this woman dealing with her attraction to this third man, and how it threatens their established relationship. Again, just something to consider.

As for the conflict in question, what does your MC have to gain if she entertains her attraction to #3, and what does she have to lose? Again, I would try to go with what feels most realistic for the characters, and with what you think would be the most satisfying direction. If she carries on with #3 despite her lovers' discomfort or without their knowledge, then that's going to create conflict that will need to be overcome, for better or worse.

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
I so appreciate all the comments, and now have a lot of food for thought! It's true--I'm not sure about when this will be resolved. I'm kind of up in the air, and no, I don't know how it will end, or even what will happen next. I'm one of these writers who just sits down and starts writing. It just comes, and I don't even do an outline. (Maybe I should!)

Thanks, Dancing, for your nice comments. I do think a lot of people enjoy very long fics. I know I personally do. No endgame in mind, no. And that concerns me a bit. I've written other stories, but none has come anywhere close to this long. Actually, I'm enjoying writing it so much that I almost don't want it to end!

Yes, there's conflict in the story right now. Jealousy again, and this time, obviously, because of guy #3. Only one of the other two is jealous however, and she's only flirting with guy #3 at the moment. So... more angst. I agree that it's becoming like a soap opera. I have followers, however that seem very much into it, and I always end my chapters with a cliffhanger. And yes, I'm having a tremendous amount of fun writing it.

Guy #3 coming in and disrupting things as a sequel is an excellent idea! And I don't see anything my MC has to gain from a possible relationship with guy #3. What she has to lose is really nothing, unless one of the other guys just can't hack it anymore. I guess I'm hung up on scruples, and if I'm writing erotica, I shouldn't be. I mean, she's with two guys already, why not a third?

Wow, I have a lot to think about, and you guys really helped me get the beginning of a perspective on this whole thing. Thank you again.

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
I started a short story -fantasy- that ended 230,000 wrds later. Yup, it's now two volumes and each can stand alone.
From what I've read thus far, you have a lot of places to cut it into multiple volumes. Maybe make a long series of novellas of it; if that's acceptable in this genre? Good luck.