• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Searching for Beta/Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
So, here it is: I've been working on a story for around four years now, and have struggled greatly with finishing it. For a little over a year, I've been going through a nasty spell of writer's block, but at this point, I have around nineteen chapters, all of which have been edited at least 4-5 times by several different people as well as myself, so it shouldn't be too bad to look at. However, I am stuck on how to complete the story. I would think there's about one or two more chapters left--three at most, though I don't want to put a number on it. I don't see it going any further than that.

What I am looking for is someone to help kickstart my muse, by some miracle, as he has hitched a ride out of my brain and disappeared somewhere far, far away. I'm not quite sure how this would work out, but I think at this point, having someone to collaborate with on how to end this once and for all would be wonderful.

A little background on the story:

At 86,000 words, it is essentially both a psychological piece and crime-drama. Detective Elliott Reese works for the narcotics unit. Although a passionate and caring detective, Elliott is dealing with family issues as well. His partner isn't exactly easy to work with, and turns out to create even more problems at work, which helps to shove him off the edge. He turns to the one person--an informant they were working with--to confide in, and eventually allows himself to give into the urge to just let everything go.

It's a lengthy story, but it's not uploaded anywhere at this point aside from Google Docs, which you can check out here.

Last edited:

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
Not really looking for a beta, but if you'd like to do that, I'd be happy to have the help. I'm looking more for someone to help me finish writing the story as opposed to having someone beta/edit it.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
Bump. Still looking for someone to help me finish my story. Even if we don't collab in terms of actually writing it together, I would love to find someone who is willing to help me bounce ideas around. I am not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
I am happy to discuss this and see where it goes-- email veinglory at gmail . com

Bump. Thank you veinglory. I've corresponded through email with you, but it doesn't seem to be working out.

Is anyone else interested in becoming my writing partner/co-author? Still in need of someone to help me finish this story I've been working on. Even if you can only dedicate some time to help me toss ideas back and forth, that much would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I can act as a weekend tosser from time to time. Can't open the google doc link from where I am, though. PM me if you're still looking for a fresh pair of eyes and hemispheres :)

However, I can hazard a guess: most first novels are attempts at self-therapy, and if your one has stalled right before the end, this could mean that there's simply no resolution yet to certain issues, and without this resolution, there can be no mirroring resolution in the plot of the book. So I'll just try to pick up on the logic of the surface storylines, and suggest some quick wrapping up which would follow the internal logic of the plot, but not the possible deeper undercurrents of the text.

Last edited:

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
I can act as a weekend tosser from time to time. Can't open the google doc link from where I am, though. PM me if you're still looking for a fresh pair of eyes and hemispheres :)

However, I can hazard a guess: most first novels are attempts at self-therapy, and if your one has stalled right before the end, this could mean that there's simply no resolution yet to certain issues, and without this resolution, there can be no mirroring resolution in the plot of the book. So I'll just try to pick up on the logic of the surface storylines, and suggest some quick wrapping up which would follow the internal logic of the plot, but not the possible deeper undercurrents of the text.

It's not really a first. I've written several stories before and this is the first time I've ever struggled so badly as with this one. I'll think about it, though.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
Edited: Looking for a beta/crit-partner. If anyone is willing to take a look at my WIP, the offer would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.