Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
lol!

The news of Bob Crow's death was surprisingly big in Oz too, even getting a mention in the Murdoch rags.

ETA: If that isn't a reference to Bob Crow, I'll be over here...looking embarrassed.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not sure why it was picked up by the Murdoch press, but there was a lot of discussion in my Twitter feed of Crow's work and its implications and legacy. I'd say the commentary was split fairly evenly between journos and union leaders.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it was picked up by the Murdoch press, but there was a lot of discussion in my Twitter feed of Crow's work and its implications and legacy. I'd say the commentary was split fairly evenly between journos and union leaders.

Over here the Murdoch press pretty much hated him and tried to destroy like they do with everyone who disagrees with Maggie's Dream.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Murdoch's Australian (notionally national)* and Daily Telegraph (Sydney) are fiercely right wing, to the extent that they are almost lock step with the Daily Mail. Paul Dacre would be comfortable at either of those, although of the two the Daily Tele might be more his style. Especially with all the childish Photoshopping. There's no pretence of political balance, to the extent that editors and journos of those rags even take to Twitter to castigate pro-Labor tweeters and to say what a waste of money the ABC is. That's when they're not threatening to sue the ABC for saying mean things about them.

The Herald-Sun (Melbourne) is slightly less barmy, although it does have Andrew Bolt. I don't have the words to describe Bolt. Well, I do, but I don't want to use them here.

*The Australian is Murdoch's pride and joy, despite it losing millions of dollars a year. It's got culture in it, you see.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting!

Are there many national papers in Oz? Would have been difficult in the past with the size of the country.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It's just the Australian nowadays. I used to read it -- it had thoughtful, detailed commentary and excellent arts coverage (esp. books) -- but it became increasingly deranged.

But now the Guardian has started an online Australian edition and Morry Schwartz has just launched the Saturday Paper, which is available in print and online.

The main opposition to News Ltd is Fairfax, which publishes the Age (Melbourne), Sydney Morning Herald, Brisbane Times and others. (Each state has one or two major local papers.)

Then there's the NT News in the Northern Territory, which is a law unto itself. But it does have a very good Twitter account that tells you everything you need to know about that part of the world.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Quite often I will go and find the English translation of a local paper when something happens in a country I don't know much about. You get a wider view than just relying on the BBC. Although to be fair, they are still one of the more impartial news sources. Not totally, but better than a lot of them.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I love the internet. Some good English language versions of SE Asian newspapers are available online. They're always interesting -- esp. on alternative views of Australian policy.

ETA: I adore the Beeb's huge library of radio podcasts. Am currently listening to a prog. celebrating the life of Alan Coren.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah yeah. I saw that in a listing. It's his son and daughter doing it?

BTW, shouldn't you be asleep?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The younger Corens are popping up from time to time, but there are plenty of other people offering opinions, insights and anecdotes. The prog is 3 hrs long, so I don't think I'll be listening to the whole thing tonight.

It's about 11.20 pm here, so I'll be up for about another half an hour.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah. It's 13:20 here so I thought it must be later where you are. I forgot Oz is covered by a few timezones.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THE JOKE, DAMMIT.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, ask nice!

:D

Bob Crow was the leader of the RMT He died recently. He was known for being radical and stubborn and he made sure that the rail workers got a decent wage.

It's now quite common for a train to not run for various reasons and be replaced by a bus service. And therein lies the joke.

Last edited:

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, it made me laugh. It's sad that he died though, he was a great man IMO.

Yeah, Bob Crow was a trade union leader who used to threaten to cause strikes fairly often. You'd get all these train strikes (like one that happened fairly recently) that'd drive London to a standstill.

Everyone would have to walk or get on replacement bus services :p I read the joke as meaning that the guys carrying his coffin have to take the bus because there's a train strike going on xD

My mum loved him because a few years back the strikes got her the occasional day off work ^^

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
My mum loved him because a few years back the strikes got her the occasional day off work ^^

We always have to slog in to work *grumbles*

Ken Livingstone pointed out that the last working class people in London making a decent wage were Bob Crow's members...

Jay365

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, it made me laugh. It's sad that he died though, he was a great man IMO.

Yeah, Bob Crow was a trade union leader who used to threaten to cause strikes fairly often. You'd get all these train strikes (like one that happened fairly recently) that'd drive London to a standstill.

Everyone would have to walk or get on replacement bus services :p I read the joke as meaning that the guys carrying his coffin have to take the bus because there's a train strike going on xD

Made me laugh too, for the same reasons!:D