Do Agents Prefer a Series in MG?

Cosy_Mimi

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that it's common to pitch ideas for a sequel when querying, especially in MG fantasy.

I'm currently writing in this genre and I although I originally seen my work as a stand alone book, i've begun to think I should explore potential ideas for a series. Would it disadvantage me if it was only one book? I just wondered if agents would prefer to see a book that could potentially grow into a series?

I know its not hugely important at this point and to polish my first book as best I can but although I feel a series could happen organically, I'm at the stage where I'm perhaps only considering it to meet with market expectations.

I would love any advice/input :)

nikkidj

Registered
Reaction score
As a general rule, you should query only one book at a time. The consensus seems to be that if you DO have a series, you query as a "stand-alone with series potential." But if you think you have series potential, that's great, and something to bring up when you get that sought-after phone call. I've got two middle-grade readers at home, and they love reading the books in a series. They get to know the characters really well.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Nikki has it. Series aren't as important for middle grade as for chapter books. Most are sold as stand alone. The series idea often comes up if the book does well. I can't think of any Newberry winners off the top ofmy head that were from middle grade series.