PDA

View Full Version : WRITING PARTNER NOT WANTED

jwindar
03-13-2014, 11:22 PM
*edited*
I am not looking for a writing partner. I have had a couple that fell by the way side because of non interaction by the other half. They seemed interested at first, but because of whatever reason, the partnership waned. It was sad because the ideas that sprung forth were of good quality. We both gave and took our own fair share, and excitement grew. Then they just disappeared.

But as I said, I am not looking for a writing partner, I am looking for a "CREATIVE Writing Team." To me, partner is kind of a vague meaning. It strikes up an image of one partner doing the work (staying at the office late, breaking into the bank and getting the cash, cleaning the house) while the other puts in little effort and waits to reap the benefit (goes to play golf, waits at the secret hideout to count the cash, sits on the couch and watches their favorite show).

A team on the other hand involves each one. The rowing team can not win if one person sits there eating apple pie (american cliche, yes I know) the futbol team can not win if the back is busy shining his shoes. There may be one that is stronger in a particular area, but they are all involved.

I understand life happens. I have a full time job at night and work a lot of hours. I am also a single parent of a mid-teen and a toddler. Sometimes I can't tell which is which. I somehow find a few hours a week to find peace in writing.

I am a self taught screenwriter with no prior sales. But I do have a strong interest in creating on many different avenues, and have several strong stories in mind. Or if yours is stronger, we can work on that. I am looking for one that can shore up areas that I am lacking. I have a knack for finding the story in itself and I'm pretty good at dialogue. But, grammar is not a strength of mine. Kinda like the one that can't read sheet music but can construct a great tune.

If forming a CREATIVE TEAM to work on a single or multiple project(s) seems to stoke the fires within you, contact me. We shall do "lunch".

Thanks to
Kylabelle
T Robinson
AHunter3
for the editing suggestions.

Kylabelle
03-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Hi there, and welcome to AW. I'm sure that was frustrating to have your partners disappear on you like that, and drop the ball. I wish you success in finding the right person or people to work with.

I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, I am not a mod in this room, but if I were I would have already removed your email address. It's not safe for you to post it here, as this is public and world readable. We have a really excellent private message system for members and you can use that for the sort of communication you're requesting.

My second suggestion is that you go ahead and post an introduction about yourself and a little about your work, in the New Members area. Read the Newbie Guide. Give yourself a chance to get to know the community and give us a chance to get to know you. This way you are much more likely to make the kind of connection you seek.

Good luck!

T Robinson
03-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Seconding what Kylabelle said, I suggest removing your email address from the post. Also take the time to read the FAQ's. In my opinion it is better to watch, listen and learn at first.

The right person may be out there, but might be put off by your very first post. To me, it comes across a little strong.

Tell us who you are in terms of why we would want to be associated with you. I would hazard that 90% of people here have day jobs and limited time to expend on other activities and choose their "free time" carefully.

After you have viewed posts from others for a while, you learn what they are involved in or passionate about. Look at their list of threads started and posts. You may see someone you want to reach out to to see if they have similar ideas as you.

Here's a free tip. Look at the listing of posts. If you see a lot of "views" but very few comments, it can indicate that something in the post causes people not to comment, but want to see why. Not scientific, just my opinion.

Your thread title was attention getting, but the post will get a reaction, just maybe not what you expected. Good luck.

AHunter3
03-14-2014, 01:12 AM
I am not looking for a writing partner. I have had a couple that fell by the waist side

wayside

because of non interaction by the other half.

interaction is generally between one party and at least one other, not "by" one party

I am looking for the second half of a "Writing Team."

If only the thought of forming or creating a partnership peaks

piques

your interest, move on.

However, if forming a CREATIVE TEAM to work on a single or multiple project(s) seems to stoke the fires within you, contact me. We shall do "lunch".

I am a self taught screenwriter with no prior sales. But I do have a strong interest in creating on many different avenues, and have several strong stories in mind. Or if yours is stronger, we can work on that. I am looking for one that can shore up areas that I am lacking.

You need to ask your self

yourself

, can I stay on course for the duration of the project, or would I rather play around for a bit until the the

just one "the"

next season of my favorite show comes on.

I do not care if you have sales, are an award winner, have written the highest grossing film or have been at the top of the best sellers list. I care about creativity, longevity, and if you have to run down to the local pub because your buddy is finally going to attempt to shoot a penny out of his nose into a shot glass.

Unclear on that last clause. As written, it reads as if you strongly care whether or not the reader has to run down to the local pub because his or her buddy is finally going to attempt to shoot a penny out of his nose into a shot glass.

Speaking of which, whether you intended it this way or not, this conjures forth an image of your hypothetical creative-teammate suddenly leaping to his/her feet and abandoning your joint-writing project and running down to the pub to see this penny-nose-shooting event... but how would the teammate know that was happening? In contrast, if the penny-shooting event were announced in advance, and your creative-teammate informed you also in advance, I don't see why you would care whether or not this was how your teammate chose to spend their non-writing time. Unless you anticipate a teammate who will not have any other interests?

Which leads me to perhaps the main question: what's the difference, as you perceive it, between a "partner" and a "creative teammate"? You've very emphatically asserted your lack of interest in one and your strong preference for the other, but you haven't defined either term. In fact, in several points in my composition of the paragraph immediately preceding this one, I initially wrote "partner" and then had to backspace over that and replace it with "creative teammate".

I am scouring the farthest reaches of the net looking for that one person that will push me just as hard as I shall push them.

** gives jwindar a push **

More seriously, all kidding aside, I can tell that you're frustrated but I actually don't know what you are seeking. If you mean you want to co-write, think about what model you want to use. I've known people who alternate chapters with each other and then smooth over the stylistic differences when they're done. I've known people who bounce ideas off each other and gradually make a plot outline and then get drunk together hashing out one paragraph after another, where sometimes not a single sentence lacks both partner's input. I've known partnerships where one person writes the raw ideas and someone else edits and corrects and rephrases awkward phrases. I can tell you that if your literature resembles your message board post, you may benefit from the critiques that people here give, especially for things like query letters, on matters of clarity and grammar.

Do you wish to write fiction or nonfiction? Eroticized romances or murder mysteries or analyses of the art of the sale as affected by the modern economy? Knowing that might also make it easier for someone to decide whether they'd be a good match for you.

Cyia
03-14-2014, 01:28 AM
If you're wanting a sounding board (someone to bounce ideas off of, while you work them out), then you can play in the Sandbox subforum. It's informal, so no worries about your other half taking off to parts unknown, and you might get some useful input.

Otherwise, you might consider a writing group of some kind because what you're proposing is commitment heavy for a non-acquaintance who may or may not share your writing style. Screenplays are high risk and low return, and not usually enough to keep a new writer in business. There are several pieces of software out there that can help keep you on task, if you're interested in that route, too.

dpaterso
03-20-2014, 10:46 PM
So just to pin it down a little more, you're looking to engage with fellow screenwriters for a joint project?

-Derek

jwindar
03-21-2014, 12:05 AM
So just to pin it down a little more, you're looking to engage with fellow screenwriters for a joint project?

-Derek

Project(s).

But I don't know if 'engage' is the right word. A partnership, a collaboration.

A team where all parties give and take an equal amount. 50/50, in creating and work. Both share in the rewards and debts.

EMaree
03-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Project(s).

But I don't know if 'engage' is the right word. A partnership, a collaboration.

A team where all parties give and take an equal amount. 50/50, in creating and work. Both share in the rewards and debts.

Okay, so what do you have to offer to entice collab partners? Do you have any writing credentials? Any projects that have been successfully released? What kind of hours of commitment are you looking for, and are there samples of your work online?

Sorry to give you the third degree but you haven't explained what the project is, and more importantly, what kind of writers you need. Fiction or non-fiction, genre or literary, YA or adult etc...

I'm not a moderator but this thread might be more at home in non-paying markets (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)rather than the beta reader forum. Collab partners aren't beta readers or writing partners (though I can understand the terms being confused) and this seems like a very business-like arrangement.