Begin query with book excerpt?

LucienDesar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.desar.com
I received advice from someone that critiqued by query and told me to begin it with an excerpt of the book I am pitching. Has anyone else done this before? Is this recommended? and if so do I keep the format the same as the letter? or should I have it double-spaced in the proper font to keep it separated from the rest of them query?

Many thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a good Wednesday :)

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I've never seen that suggested before, and from what I can guess, no, I wouldn't recommend it. Agents want to know a bit about the book before diving in, and if they *do* happen to be interested in reading the actual book straightaway, they can skip down and see the sample pages you're including after the query.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you're supposed to put an excerpt into the actual query. You should only include excerpts if the agent's submission guidelines say so, and they go after the query.

LucienDesar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.desar.com
I suspected this might be the case since I took a class on querying agents, reading multiple books on the publishing business, and reviewing all the posts on here. I just wasn't sure if this was a new querying technique that I hadn't heard about. thank you for your help!

ReflectedGray

Registered
Reaction score
From all the reading I have done online, it seems as if it might be considered "poor form". However, I was reading through a blog of successful queries, and someone did do it. The author said she decided to becuase it was a great way to sum up the book, and she was positive the line was good.

It was only one line though, and then she went on to a more traditional query. Even that author said she did not recommend it.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One line is maybe acceptable if it's the sort to pique an agent's interest. Otherwise, don't. Include sample pages or chapters if they say too., but put them after the query.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bad query advice

I received advice from someone that critiqued by query and told me to begin it with an excerpt of the book I am pitching.

Was the person who gave you this [very bad] advice an agent?
I'm going to guess s/he wasn't.

The best people to listen to for advice on queries are the people reading them. Agents, editors etc.

I'm astounded at some of the advice I've heard given to writers. My favorite is almost anything that starts with "call the agent to ask."

Oh, and no, don't start with an excerpt from your book. Start with the name of the protagonist and the dilemma s/he faces.