I'm part of the story?

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I am. And it's the strangest story I've ever heard.
Keeping it brief, it's a true crime story of the falsely accused and his unique escape from the system. Without giving too much away, I'll just state that Stephen Jones and the ACLU are now involved in his $125 million federal civil rights lawsuit against the state. It is truly bizarre.
My best friend was just released after three and a half years behind bars for crimes he didn't commit and he's asked me to write the story for him.

True crime isn't my field, though nonfiction is. The story is so compelling, however, that I can't say no to his request.

Can we have a discussion about a crash course in true crime writing?

Authors? Titles? Tips?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Keeping it brief, it's a true crime story of the falsely accused and his unique escape from the system. Without giving too much away, I'll just state that Stephen Jones and the ACLU are now involved in his $125 million federal civil rights lawsuit against the state. It is truly bizarre.
My best friend was just released after three and a half years behind bars for crimes he didn't commit and he's asked me to write the story for him.

True crime isn't my field, though nonfiction is. The story is so compelling, however, that I can't say no to his request.

Authors? Titles? Tips?

What is it you're planning on writing?

I can't find any mention of him at all, which is odd, if this is as interesting a case as you suggest.

I'd also be sure no one else is writing it - not that you couldn't too but depending on what you plan to do with it.

Also, Ann Rule.

Elias Graves

Registered
Reaction score
What is it you're planning on writing?

I can't find any mention of him at all, which is odd, if this is as interesting a case as you suggest.

I'd also be sure no one else is writing it - not that you couldn't too but depending on what you plan to do with it.

Also, Ann Rule.

He wants me to write his story. It's the best "falsely accused" tale I've ever known and could be a big hit.
No, there's very little been printed about it. One mention when he was arrested and one when his convictions were overturned. Zero about the rest of it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
He wants me to write his story. It's the best "falsely accused" tale I've ever known and could be a big hit.
No, there's very little been printed about it. One mention when he was arrested and one when his convictions were overturned. Zero about the rest of it.

Yeah, I mean what are you thinking of writing, for what market?

If it's that good a story, why haven't people covered it? I'm not saying it's not, just wondering. They're usually covered, especially with a lawsuit.

Elias Graves

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean what are you thinking of writing, for what market?

If it's that good a story, why haven't people covered it? I'm not saying it's not, just wondering. They're usually covered, especially with a lawsuit.

No idea why it hasn't been covered. All the better for me. Lol.

Market? Don't know yet, as my learning about the true crime genre is just beginning. I feel like I'm cramming for finals week all over again!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Authors? Titles? Tips?

You might want to try non-fiction here http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Or the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense forum here. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Good luck. It sounds like a great project. :)