"Similar Titles" and what agents want & expect in that section

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
A standard component of proposals (and query pitches) is the "Similar Titles, and How Mine is Different" overview.

In what fashion do you agent-folk make use of that? I have been assuming that you want a sense of the genre — what other books are similar in terms of what they cover, subject matter, approach, etc (nonfiction) or deal with similar themes, plot types, worlds in which the story unfolds (fiction) ?

But maybe what you want instead is more akin to "what is the current competition? What is being sold right now that is similar to this work that you want me to look at, and how is yours different?"

The first interpretation can yield a list of titles published over a fairly large course of time. "The classic book that came to define the ecological-warning genre was Carson's Silent Spring, (Houghton Mifflin 1962)... then in 1982, Progress as If Survival Mattered taught us ... more recently, Ecological Intelligence by Daniel Goleman (Crown 2010),... "

The second interpretation sort of implies that older titles are useless distractions and that we, as authors, should constrain our list to contain ONLY modern, extant titles.

What say you? When you get to this section of proposal or pitch, do you want a broad flyover of the genre that the author thinks the work fits in, or should the list only contain titles that are taking up space in the front New Books displays of the bookstores?

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I think perhaps you can -- and should -- do both (use books that are both similar thematically/genre-wise/style-wise and use ones that are recent)

Because both those things are useful information to an agent. Saying "like Lord of The Rings" might give an idea of style, but also lead an agent to think you've written a book 50 years too late, and that it might struggle to fit in today's marketplace.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Huh, I've actually only seen this as required in non-fiction, in which case its very much about showing that you understand the market, know what's out there and what's selling, and can point to why yours is different and necessary. AFAIK, anyway. I don't write non-fiction myself, so my knowledge is limited.

In fiction, it's not a standard component of a query. Sometimes people add in a line about "will appeal to fans of Joe Smith" or "like Hunger Games meets Catching Fire" but it rarely requires more than those few words. It's there to give an immediate idea, to pique interest.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've seen it requested by several agents -- they like to see it. And it definitely goes in the proposal my agent sends out (which is why maybe some agents like to see it, so they can start thinking about how they'd pitch it?) Also, when I've subbed to smaller presses they often ask for this.

I agree it's not always required for fiction, but I don't think it'd hurt to show you know the market either.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If there's a classic in the genre that's similar to yours, I'd include it, especially if it's still in print. Personally, I avoid anything that's out of print or that's self-published.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ReflectedGray

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about this myself. It is sort of a tricky subject, and has a lot of diverging opinions on the internet. Some say that it is helpful, others say that it can make you seem silly (not everyone can be the next J.K Rowling).

I think my novel has a similar tone to The Giver, in addition to some similar themes. My beta readers have expressed similar thoughts, while saying that it’s not trying to be a poor imitation or anything.

I think saying that would help an agent get a feel for the tone I’m going for, but I REALLY don't want to come off as a pompous a**. I don't think I'm the next Lois Lowry. Obviously.

There is an inherent danger in comparing something you wrote with something that is kind of “once in a generation.” Also, comparing it to a recent best seller probably will prompt them to look across their desk, examine the other 50 letters with the same comparison, and laugh. I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Some agents like it, some hate it. I've heard heard a wide range of opinions on this but the one overall thing I've been told is dont compare to a runaway best seller and certainly never say you will BE a bestseller. It comes across as cocky and looks like you have unrealistic expectations. One agent said she hated it when people use Mortal Instruments as a comp title mostly because EVERYONE uses it. It simply gets old. And it doesn't show that you know a lot about the market. I only use comp titles if they REALLY fit.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greetings)

I've heard the same about runaway bestsellers: never compare your memoir to Eat, Pray, Love.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've heard heard a wide range of opinions on this but the one overall thing I've been told is dont compare to a runaway best seller and certainly never say you will BE a bestseller.

Probably very true, unless you can highlight a similarity in tone/style together with how yours is different (I think I used "A darker, more cynical Harry Dresden", which gives you an idea of style, character and such, compares without saying you are as good, or are the next bestseller etc)

Saying "Like Harry Dresden, only betterer"...yeah, probably not going to work!