A bio to an agent?

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
Hi,
An agency just asked me for pages, a photo, and a bio. They're the only ones who have wanted more personal info than was already in my query letter.
In this context, what goes in a bio and what doesn't?
Thanks.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Did they give any guidelines as far as length for the bio? That might help you decide what to include.

In general, they are probably just looking for a little more info on who you are outside your writing. (I know my query letter bio was pretty much just my writing credits.) It doesn't need to be super-detailed but things like if you've traveled/moved around a lot, where you went to college, where you live now, if you have a family, maybe what your day job is, any other non-writing achievements that might be out of the ordinary (like training for a marathon or something).

If you don't have some of those elements, don't sweat it. The bio is not something that will decide whether or not they offer rep, but it can give them a little more insight into who you are and where your interests lie.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
Thanks.

Thanks, Aggy. I actually have had an action-packed life in those arenas, so I sent off a three-quarter page bio. I just didn't to do something out of step with the way these things are supposed to go.
m.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intrigued that they asked for a photo. Not sure why what you look like should matter. I'm very much hoping someone else weighs in on this. It seems odd to me.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
more

You know, I might if I were an agent. I feel I can tell a lot about somebody -- at least in reference to me -- from a photo. I trust my intuition. But despite my own deal around this, it also seems weird to me that an actual agent is doing it. Anyway, it's more important to me to demonstrate my cooperative stance than to question what someone who has the ability to say yes or no to my ms's future success might ask for.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The request for a photo sounds odd to me too.

Who is the requesting agent? They're probably legit (because you did your research before you submitted, right?) but I am curious. You could let me know via rep point or PM if you're not keen to name them out in the open.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
Who

It's Carolyn Jenks in Boston. In a thread that's specific to her in Bewares, others wrote about similar requests. Generally, the feedback there and elsewhere was positive in a bit of a guarded way. She seems to do a few other things idiosyncratically as well. I think some posters are overly wary of anything different, but I'm still new here, so what do I know?