• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Request for Book Two of my Fantasy Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Book two isn't exactly done, but I was informed by my friend that she encountered some grammatical things that my editor didn't run across. I'm not sure if it's her just being nit-picky or if my editor just didn't see them either. It is likely that neither of us realized these errors in the first place.

But I figured I'd go ahead and see if there was anyone who would be willing to beta read book two of the series. Of course it isn't finished yet, and only three chapters have been written at this point. I'm going to try and keep it in the 200 page range as well. I have about 13 pages written up now.

The basic description of this book is that they go on a rescue mission to save the girl that was kidnapped. Ultimately you'd probably have to read book one to really understand book two. But then again, maybe not.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Book two isn't exactly done, but I was informed by my friend that she encountered some grammatical things that my editor didn't run across. I'm not sure if it's her just being nit-picky or if my editor just didn't see them either. It is likely that neither of us realized these errors in the first place.

But I figured I'd go ahead and see if there was anyone who would be willing to beta read book two of the series. Of course it isn't finished yet, and only three chapters have been written at this point. I'm going to try and keep it in the 200 page range as well. I have about 13 pages written up now.

The basic description of this book is that they go on a rescue mission to save the girl that was kidnapped. Ultimately you'd probably have to read book one to really understand book two. But then again, maybe not.

I can't volunteer, as I don't have the time to take on a line-editing job. But I had a look at the first page of your book on Amazon (yay for "look inside"!). Um. Your friend is right. I found eight or nine errors in punctuation/sentence structure in the Intro alone.

Some readers don't notice such things; others do. I'm one who does, obviously :D So, if you're looking to attract readers like me who won't buy a book if they see errors at that level, you might want to consider hiring a different editor for this book.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I can't volunteer, as I don't have the time to take on a line-editing job. But I had a look at the first page of your book on Amazon (yay for "look inside"!). Um. Your friend is right. I found eight or nine errors in punctuation/sentence structure in the Intro alone.

Some readers don't notice such things; others do. I'm one who does, obviously :D So, if you're looking to attract readers like me who won't buy a book if they see errors at that level, you might want to consider hiring a different editor for this book.

My friend is pinpointing the issues out to me actually. As for punctuation errors I realized that, that may have been a conversion issue as for some reason both files converted rather oddly and I've fixed one before, but it was on Smashwords. She didn't see that many errors and most of them were really in the beginning when I had another editor. I know now to send it to my friend and my other editor as they work well together. The issues will be fixed. Even with the errors I've still gotten three five star reviews, and that's wonderful :)

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
As for punctuation errors I realized that, that may have been a conversion issue as for some reason both files converted rather oddly and I've fixed one before, but it was on Smashwords.

I feel the need to say, you shouldn't really blame punctuation errors on conversion issues. That may take care of some of them, but what about the ones conversion doesn't fix and are still there as a result of writer error. I have no idea if Unimportant is an editor or not but I would take note of what was said and pay attention if other people notice these errors. It's different if the problem noticed was a characterization issue or something but I tend to agree with punctuation problems more than anything because of the fact that there are rules to the english language you shouldn't break. If you break these rules, you get punctuation problems (for example).

PS. I'm not saying you're blaming these errors on conversion issues. I just felt the need to say this.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arcadia, I'm not an editor, just someone who spends waaaaaay too much money on books! :D

Editing to add: Anyhow, it'd probably help if cnl790 were to clarify if she is:
- Looking for a line-editor to catch missing commas, or looking for a beta reader to consider the storyline as a whole?
- Looking for a beta reader now for the first few chapters, or looking in advance for a beta reader when the book is finished (and if the latter, ETA)?

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion, the reader should never have to suffer through grammar, spelling, and punctuation problems, not to mention structure and formatting issues...

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
My opinion, the reader should never have to suffer through grammar, spelling, and punctuation problems, not to mention structure and formatting issues...

I doubt I could've worded that better.

Granted some are inevitable but too much is inexcusable.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I'll volunteer. I can read a few pages and offer as much grammar advice as possible, but I'll need you to clarify for me first:

-do you want a basic grammar sweep, where the beta-reader only addresses spelling, punctuation, etc.

-or do you want the full-bore beta-reading experience, where telling vs. showing, realistic dialogue, etc. is all fair game?

Let me know which and I'll be happy to read what you have written. If it's only thirteen pages I should be able to get it back to you relatively soon (unless college coursework suddenly swamps me).

PM me to let me know.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Arcadia, I'm not an editor, just someone who spends waaaaaay too much money on books! :D

Editing to add: Anyhow, it'd probably help if cnl790 were to clarify if she is:
- Looking for a line-editor to catch missing commas, or looking for a beta reader to consider the storyline as a whole?
- Looking for a beta reader now for the first few chapters, or looking in advance for a beta reader when the book is finished (and if the latter, ETA)?

Honestly, I've went through and have fixed all of the errors now. Well I'm still working on them. I figured out where a lot of the errors did occur, as far as quotations. When I formatted it I accidentally deleted a mark or two, without realizing I had done so. As for commas in wrong places, it's hard when you learn one way verses the other, that I'm fixing as well. As for the errors you seen on the first page, I'm assuming some were spelling as I found the 8-9 you were referring too, 4-5 being words that are said to be spelled wrong, when in fact they are spelled appropriately and used in that same form throughout the story itself.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I doubt I could've worded that better.

Granted some are inevitable but too much is inexcusable.

I agree that they shouldn't. I've been told that my novel is written with southern style grammar and for someone from the north this can be a shock. But that is simply my writing style.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I feel the need to say, you shouldn't really blame punctuation errors on conversion issues. That may take care of some of them, but what about the ones conversion doesn't fix and are still there as a result of writer error. I have no idea if Unimportant is an editor or not but I would take note of what was said and pay attention if other people notice these errors. It's different if the problem noticed was a characterization issue or something but I tend to agree with punctuation problems more than anything because of the fact that there are rules to the english language you shouldn't break. If you break these rules, you get punctuation problems (for example).

PS. I'm not saying you're blaming these errors on conversion issues. I just felt the need to say this.

Some were do to the online conversion but the others occurred when I formatted it in Word. Somehow quotes ended up being deleted. Really there wasn't many errors and all are in the process of really being fixed.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'll volunteer. I can read a few pages and offer as much grammar advice as possible, but I'll need you to clarify for me first:

-do you want a basic grammar sweep, where the beta-reader only addresses spelling, punctuation, etc.

-or do you want the full-bore beta-reading experience, where telling vs. showing, realistic dialogue, etc. is all fair game?

Let me know which and I'll be happy to read what you have written. If it's only thirteen pages I should be able to get it back to you relatively soon (unless college coursework suddenly swamps me).

PM me to let me know.

I really appreciate the offer. At this point I'm going to finish fixing the first book. Since I'm nearly finished and plan to look at this one the same way I'm fixing book one right now. But I will message you whenever I am ready to send it over.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As for the errors you seen on the first page, I'm assuming some were spelling as I found the 8-9 you were referring too, 4-5 being words that are said to be spelled wrong, when in fact they are spelled appropriately and used in that same form throughout the story itself.
No, I don't remember spelling errors; it was mainly punctuation and sentence structure, IIRC.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Punctuation is fixed and some bits were re-written to fix wording errors. As for sentence structure, I write more on the southern style of writing, that is my writing style. Regardless it is fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.