Agents and Gender (as topic/interest area, I mean)

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I'm trying to find agents who are likely to be interested in themes of gender, gender identity, coming-out as gender-atypical, all that kind of stuff. Nonfictiony stuff. Feminist-minded an additional plus.

AgentQuery.com, Querytracker.net, and PublishersMarketPlace.com all have dropdown value lists of genres by which to search agents, but the closest equivalent of what I'm looking for that appears in these dropdowns is "gay and lesbian". I'm making use of that, but is there any good resource for finding agents based on more specialized or esoteric categories of interest? In particular, any resources for folks whose writing touches upon transgender and genderqueer and similar gender issues?

peanut

Registered
Reaction score
Dahlia has a great blog in which she covers this topic. She also listed many agents that accept books on this topic towards the middle of this post.

http://dailydahlia.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/a-quiltbag-yana-compendium/

Also, I have heard agents on twitter say they'd love to have books with characters that are gay/lesbian, but not have the book centered on this. Rather, write a horror/romance/thriller with the character active in the plot, but not focused on his gender identity.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The #MSWL and related tumblr might help, too.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I appreciate the link, peanut, but it looks like it is mostly focused on FICTION resources. Along the same melody-lines, I can totally understanding agents who are seeking FICTION with characters that are gay/lesbian wanting the characters to be such but the storyline not to be oh-so-pedantically about GLBTQ identity as subject matter.

I, however, am specifically seeking info on agents who might be interested in gender as a NONFICTION topic.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
The #MSWL and related tumblr might help, too.

Can you render that helpful suggestion in the oldfogey vernacular, by any chance?

I gather that #MSWL is an example of the oft-referenced "hash tag" and has something to do with something called "Twitter", yes?

I vaguely recall having heard of something called tumblr as well... aha, it's blogs! Like LiveJournal, sort of?

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I appreciate the link... but it looks like it is mostly focused on FICTION...I, however, am specifically seeking info on agents who might be interested in gender as a NONFICTION topic.

... or, umm, maybe I'm just embarrassingly acronym-challenged. Not a good thing for someone who purports to be LGBTQish, huh? NA is "new author"? Is "YA" perhaps something other than "Young Adult", then, as in "young adult fiction", which is what that acronym meant at some point in the past? And therefore perhaps I misread/ misinterpreted those abbrevs as pertaining to fiction when they aren't (necessarily) ?

peanut

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread. I have no idea about non-fiction. The twitter #MSWL means manuscript wishlist. This is where on Twitter, agents describe what they are looking for in fiction. So, no it won't help you either. At least I didn't see any mention of non-fiction in the thread.

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to my blog, peanut!

NA is New Adult, and YA is indeed Young Adult; the post is specifically geared toward those categories of fiction. However, I do believe some of those agents rep nonfiction as well; I'd still check them.

I know very few nonfiction writers personally, but the last one to sell did so with a book on asexuality, and is repped by Andrea Somberg at Harvey Klinger, for whatever that's worth.