PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Greek into Modern Psychological Terms!

Zoombie
03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Hey all! I'm writing a urban fantasy in space novel, wherein there are vampires and werewolves, and there are (of course) werewolf and vampire hunters.

But as the vampires and werewolves in the story are mostly good (except for those that are jerks), I was wondering how to explain the existence of Hunters 120 years after vampires and werewolves have been normalized and integrated into society.

And, while yes, there are racists and bigots still...I also had the idea (that I stole from World of Darkness) where some humans are born with the ability to see "monsters" as monsters. So, when they look at a vampire, they see this horrifying beast.

In World of Darkness, this is seen as a superpower!

In my universe, I was thinking...mental illness.

And I wanted a nifty psychological term to slap on it. I could have called it X Syndrome (after the discoverer) but I was thinking I'd rather call it something Greek, since a lot of things in the English language use Greek as the basis for the word.

I was thinking [Blank] Synesthesia, with Blank meaning some word that could be derived from "monsters" Or "devils" or something.

If anyone knows a few greek words that can be smooshed together to mean that, I'd love to hear them!

wendymarlowe
03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
"Sinistrosis?" Seems like an easy enough word to say/read, and makes sense if it were to derive from "sinister" (as in the original left/evil idea) and "-osis" for condition or malady.

Zoombie
03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Sinistrosis!

I like it!

DrZoidberg
03-11-2014, 02:16 PM
In Oblivion they called the vampirism affliction, "Porphyric Hemophilia". Which I thought was really clever.

RichardGarfinkle
03-11-2014, 03:05 PM
How about kakodaemonoptiosis (I might be off on the disease suffix). It would more or less mean evil spirit eyes disease. It might also be cacodaemonoptiosis.

Xelebes
03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
You want Medical Greek, not Ancient Greek.

Beyond Cacodaemonoptiosis (seeing evil spirits), there is Teratoptiosis (seeing monsters) or Teratopathy (sensing monsters.)