Sui Generis

Saraya Ziv

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a short (100 page) book of connected portraits personifying the hefty and widely misrepresented concepts of a religious denomination. The vehicle is whimsical (anthropomorphic kitten adopted by couple in said group); the information is alive, surprising, and serious.

I'm having trouble determining how to fix the genre. I prefer not to target "children's" market. I will seek an agent, but need direction. Help?

I'd be willing to post a chapter for context.

Many Thanks.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't what your story is about. It sounds like you're really trying to make a point, using some sort of framing device, so I'd say it might be Literacy. You'd need to detail the story and who your target audience is to better help us.

Though, agents typically don't deal with works that short (as far as I know).

And, it's forums rules that work to be shared goes in the SYW section--you need 50+ posts to put your work up there.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I've written a short (100 page) book of connected portraits personifying the hefty and widely misrepresented concepts of a religious denomination. The vehicle is whimsical (anthropomorphic kitten adopted by couple in said group); the information is alive, surprising, and serious.

I'm having trouble determining how to fix the genre. I prefer not to target "children's" market. I will seek an agent, but need direction. Help?

I'd be willing to post a chapter for context.

Many Thanks.

Sounds like a tough sell.

An anthropomorphised kitten sounds decidedly children's publishing. The theme feels more like educational publishing than mainstream trade children's, and maybe even adult nonfiction. But if it's adult, it feels too short. It falls between a variety of stools, just from the description.

It would be good to see a bit. Stick around for a while and when you have 50 posts under your belt you can post an excerpt in the Share Your Work forum. Do read all the relevant FAQs.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Questions:
Who do you think will read this book?
What other books would it sit next to on a shelf?

If you can't answer those two questions, go to the book store and look at books in the religious, inspirational, new age, and children's sections. This might help you figure out where yours fits. A knowledgeable employee or a good librarian showing you books that have come out within the past five years may be a great asset here.

Thirding the post in SYW when you can statement.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, 100 pages tells us nothing without an idea of font, font size, and spacing. What's the word count?

Saraya Ziv

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. None of the suggested genres fit and indeed you're in the dark without a sample. A bar of 50 posts to submit will not work.

FYI, word count is >30,000. I was under the impression 99 pages @ 250 words/page is adult level acceptable length. Again, thank-you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. None of the suggested genres fit and indeed you're in the dark without a sample. A bar of 50 posts to submit will not work.

FYI, word count is >30,000. I was under the impression 99 pages @ 250 words/page is adult level acceptable length. Again, thank-you.

The 50-post rule works just fine for us: it ensures that people who ask for critiques here have contributed to our community, and aren't just here to take our advice and not give anything back.

30k is very short for an adult novel or non-fiction book of any depth: it might work for a novelty book, but a book of that length would have to be very good for an agent to take it on. You might be better off approaching niche publishers direct.