Murder Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjclaus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smilecheap.com
Going over a box of stuff from college I came across a 23 page story I wrote for a creative writing class. Notes from the teacher said that I have really grasped the concept of a Murder Mystery. She said with a bit of stage directions added, this could be a script for a Matlock TV special.

Is stage direction the only difference between a short story, and a TV Script? How would I go about submitting this to a TV show and having it turned into a script?

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
fjclaus said:
Is stage direction the only difference between a short story, and a TV Script?

Hardly. First, ask yourself how many TV scripts your college prof wrote or even read. Unless she taught at UCLA, USC, or NYU, I'm guessing the number is less than one, so don't put too much weight on her comments. You may or may not have the premise or nucleus for a really good murder mystery, but the pacing of TV relies on much more than "stage directions"--and, BTW, you have to know how to properly use stage directions. Because commercial breaks come at very precise intervals, you have to have your plot points and cliff-hangers at very specific points in your script. And a show like Matlock has a very specific tone and rhythm you would have to be extremely familiar with in order to make your short story applicable. Which leads to:

Second, forget Matlock. Writing specs for any show not produced this millenium is a waste of time. You have to show your chops in current TV shows, so see if your murder mystery can fit in with any of today's shows. Then read actual scripts from that show (places like Drew's Script-o-rama on the web provide free content of a variety of scripts). Then pick up a book or three on how to actually write the TV episode (sitcom or one-hour drama? In your case, obviously, you need to learn the one-hour drama, as each has it's own specific guidelines).

Your short story is 23 pages? If it's double-spaced, 23 pages is actually the length of a lot of sitcom episodes (the other seven minutes are for commercials). Of course, once you transcibe your SS to TV format and indent for dialogue and other such nonsense, your SS will probably double in length. But you still need to reach the 51-53 page mark for a one-hour drama.

Short stories can be morphed into TV scripts. A novel could be turned into a weekly radio program, it's all possible. You just have to learn what the new medium demands, and become as intimate with the new format as possible. Simply adding "stage directions" won't cut it.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
fjclaus said:
Going over a box of stuff from college I came across a 23 page story I wrote for a creative writing class. Notes from the teacher said that I have really grasped the concept of a Murder Mystery. She said with a bit of stage directions added, this could be a script for a Matlock TV special.

Is stage direction the only difference between a short story, and a TV Script? How would I go about submitting this to a TV show and having it turned into a script?

You'll have to turn it into a script yourself. There are many good books on writing for TV, and even many websites that tell you how to do it. There are also many places where you can download TV and movie scripts in order to see the format.

It takes a lot of work to turn a short story into a TV script, but it gets much easier once you understand teh format, how to write each segment to end on a bit of a cliffhanger just in time for the commercials.

A TV special is usually two hours, of course, but many a full length movie has been made from short stories. How long the short story is has nothing to do with how long the show or movie you turn it into might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.