PDA

View Full Version : Pleased or horrified?

Anninyn
03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
My mother went to a Margaret Atwood talk the other night. She and her friends got talking to Margaret Atwood, and in the course of the conversation mum mention my apocalypse blog and my sole published story.

On the one hand,a ccording to mum, Margaret Atwood was 'genuinely very interested' and I'm kind of giddy at the very faint possibility she might read something I wrote. On the other hand... GAWD MUM. WRITERS HEAR MORE THAN ENOUGH ABOUT 'OH MY DAUGHTER/SON/HUSBAND/WIFE/CAT' WANTS TO BE A WRITER NO MUM NO.

ap123
03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
VERY exciting! (I'd be thrilled to speak with Margaret Atwood :) ) She seems to be very supportive and encouraging of newer writers.

Not to mention how lovely that your mom is proud and supportive enough to talk about your work with her. :D

Maggie Maxwell
03-04-2014, 06:35 PM
A bit of both sounds reasonable. Sweet that you have your mom's support and now Margaret Atwood knows your name. Shame you couldn't have been there yourself!

mirandashell
03-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Both

Anninyn
03-04-2014, 06:40 PM
yeah, my mum is great. She'll never tell ME she thinks I'm doing well, but she keeps sending me competition entries and submission calls, and if she ever meets a writer or a publisher socially she will LATCH ON AND TELL THEM ALL ABOUT ME. She runs her own business tracing family history and house histories, so she meets quite an eclectic group of people.

But, I did rather think at 28 I might be past being capable of being embarassed by my mother.

If Margaret Atwood was genuinely interested and reads my blog/story, I'll be very pleased, of course! I just don't think she should be harrassed by loving and well-meaning relatives at every talk she gives.

I wish I could have gone, but I think tickets were limited and quite expensive, and while mum happily pays for some things for me I don't like to have her spend lots.

LJD
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I would have been mostly horrified.

My dad appears to have told everyone he knows about my book (which came out yesterday), and for some reason, this makes me want to crawl under the table and hide. I know it shouldn't. I mean, I should be glad, right? But I can't help it...

So yeah, I totally sympathize with feeling horrified, also because, like you, I feel like famous writers probably get bombarded with this stuff on a regular basis...I mean MARGARET ATWOOD.

I used to play this trivia game called Reach for the Top in high school. (The provincials and nationals are televised in Canada.) And when we were practicing--and maybe sometimes when we were actually playing--we had this joke. Whenever there was a question about an author that no one knew the answer to, someone on the team would buzz in and say "Margaret Atwood" because she seemed to come up most often, this being Canada and all, and she's written a lot of books. And a couple times...this random answer ended up being right.

Maggie Maxwell
03-04-2014, 07:11 PM
We will never be old enough to be beyond being embarrassed by our parents. Ever. The only thing we can do is have our own children and embarrass them in turn.

LJD, aww, proud daddy. :) Hopefully it'll help sales. Congratulations on the launch!

Snowstorm
03-04-2014, 09:20 PM
From an I've-Been-in-a-Similar-Circumstance perspective, I understand your shock and embarrassment. Oh, my gosh, an important person knows about me and my work! I'm not worthy! They'll roll their eyes at my work!

From a third party perspective I say, "GO MUM!!!"

I hope by now you've gone from the horrified stage to the pleased stage. Good for her and good for you to write works that your mom's proud enough to pass on to a writer of her prominence.

mirandashell
03-04-2014, 09:26 PM
But, I did rather think at 28 I might be past being capable of being embarassed by my mother.

Nah. I'm 48 and my mother can still embarrass me in public.

Lavern08
03-04-2014, 10:16 PM
... I just don't think she should be harrassed by loving and well-meaning relatives at every talk she gives.

^ Ehhh, she's probably used to it.

The Embarrassed-by-Mom thing never ends - I'm 61, and Mummy Dear makes me cringe in public too. ;)

Siri Kirpal
03-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd mostly be pleased, but yes, even at age 61, my mommy still manages to embarrass me every now and then.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lady MacBeth
03-05-2014, 02:11 AM
It would have made me cringe too. At least you know your mother supports your writing and is proud of you, and it's actually kind of sweet in that respect.

johnhallow
03-07-2014, 04:15 AM
I'd pester my mum to go back there and make sure she read it :P Definitely pleased!