PDA

View Full Version : To mention or not...self-pub numbers?

csorensen
03-04-2014, 02:50 AM
I am currently querying an 80,000 word YA adventure/fantasy.

I self-published a hardcover, inspirational fiction novel in 2003 that had 3,000 in-state sales in about a year (some good press, lots of book signings) and won a state wide book-of-the-year award from a college association.

Are the numbers for my self-pub work worth mentioning or just leave it out?

Cathy C
03-04-2014, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't. Not because it's not a good number of sales, but because it's a totally different genre. It's unlikely the people who purchased the SP would be the same readers of the new novel, so an agent wouldn't care because the publisher wouldn't. :Shrug:

csorensen
03-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Perfect answer Cathy, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

J.Reid
03-05-2014, 08:42 AM
If I may add a point off topic: don't ever call it a "fiction novel" even if you're thinking inspiration modifies fiction. That phrase is one of those that stops every agent dead in their tracks. For the truly grumpy snarly ones like me, it's an instant rejection.

JournoWriter
03-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Would the preferred phrase be "inspirational fiction book" or "inspirational novel"?

jvc
03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Out of those two, I'd go with "inspirational novel."

Although, since that's your self-pubbed book and it's not relevant to the novel you're querying, you don't have to mention it at all. If you did put it in the 'writing credits' part of the query, then I'd just simply say: Self-published an inspirational novel in 2003 which had sales of 3000+, and won a state wide book-of-the-year award from a college association.

You have limited space in a query, so choose what is relevant to the novel you're querying.

csorensen
03-06-2014, 06:41 PM
If I may add a point off topic: don't ever call it a "fiction novel" even if you're thinking inspiration modifies fiction. That phrase is one of those that stops every agent dead in their tracks. For the truly grumpy snarly ones like me, it's an instant rejection.

A nice reminder to take time before submitting...anything!

csorensen
03-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Although, since that's your self-pubbed book and it's not relevant to the novel you're querying, you don't have to mention it at all.
You have limited space in a query, so choose what is relevant to the novel you're querying.

Very well said...thanks!