PDA

View Full Version : Letting Other Agents Know

Sapphire135
03-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Today I had to send out emails to the agents that have my full manuscript and partials (as well as outstanding queries) that I have an offer of rep and give them an opportunity to respond.

I don't know why it is making me so stressed out. I know that it is proper etiquette and professional courtesy, but (though my emails were short and polite) it makes me feel like I am trying to leverage my offer against them.

Do agents just take it in stride when they get these emails? I hate them to think it is some kind of pressure. Especially since most of them have had my materials for such a short time.

I should be happier about all this, but just find myself stressing. It doesn't help that on one of the emails I accidently called a Ms. a Mr. It was a typo, but I am so stressed that I missed it when I proofed the thing :(

Aggy B.
03-04-2014, 02:03 AM
It's part of the business, knowing that someone else might make an offer before you do and you'll have to work fast if you're still interested.

And I know it feels stressful, sending out those emails, but this is a totally normal course of events.

Sapphire135
03-04-2014, 02:21 AM
It's part of the business, knowing that someone else might make an offer before you do and you'll have to work fast if you're still interested.

And I know it feels stressful, sending out those emails, but this is a totally normal course of events.

Thanks Aggy! I know waiting on responses on fulls is nerve-wracking, but something about nudging the people with my full manuscripts is making me even more nervous! Oh well. I'm just going to hope for the best :)

Siri Kirpal
03-04-2014, 03:01 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats on the offer of rep!

Focus on that. It might help.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Quickbread
03-04-2014, 03:35 AM
Don't stress about it. It's totally standard. In fact, agents would be upset if you didn't give them the heads-up.

Think about it this way: Imagine if you signed with an agent without giving the others an opportunity to reprioritize their work, read your full now and offer on your manuscript if they're really excited about it. It's respectful to let them have a chance for it, too, while they still can.

LadyLex
03-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Congrats on the offer!

JoyMC
03-04-2014, 07:58 AM
It's absolutely protocol and anyone who is annoyed by it isn't someone you would want to work with. I notified six agents of an offer, and five of them wrote back w/in 24 hours to thank me for letting them know and saying they'd be sure to read within the week. One just never responded.

Good luck and congrats on the offer!

Sapphire135
03-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks everyone! It helps to hear your experiences/opinions on the situation.

Giant Baby
03-05-2014, 01:24 AM
I've never heard an agent complain about it. I have heard some complain about reading a manuscript only to discover the author had already signed elsewhere, or of being informed that an offer had been accepted without giving them a chance to read and perhaps also offer.

It does feel awkward, but it's the best thing for you and for them. Congrats and good luck!

Sapphire135
03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
I've never heard an agent complain about it. I have heard some complain about reading a manuscript only to discover the author had already signed elsewhere, or of being informed that an offer had been accepted without giving them a chance to read and perhaps also offer.

It does feel awkward, but it's the best thing for you and for them. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks Giant Baby! I know it is for the best and so far the responses have been good. It's only been a day so I hope to hear back from the others soon (within the specified time window).

I guess my biggest concern now is what if the agent who offered turns out to be flaky? I did my due diligence, but I've read many people's stories where an agent who offers representation sometimes turns out to be not the best (even if they are from a good agency). So, as I am notifying all the other people with my book that they have a certain window of time to respond it just feels a little final to me.

I wish I had a better feeling about it all, but I have a pessimistic nature and when something good happens I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Giant Baby
03-05-2014, 04:07 AM
I guess my biggest concern now is what if the agent who offered turns out to be flaky? I did my due diligence, but I've read many people's stories where an agent who offers representation sometimes turns out to be not the best (even if they are from a good agency). So, as I am notifying all the other people with my book that they have a certain window of time to respond it just feels a little final to me.

Due diligence is the key, and you're doing that. I've PMed you a TL;DR with some other thoughts.

Sending good vibes!

JoyMC
03-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Are you talking to some of the agents' clients? Ones they have and have not sold for, ideally. The agent should provide you with names, but you can also find clients online who the agent might not suggest.

Sapphire135
03-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the advice/insight everyone. I hope I will have a positive update soon.

J.Reid
03-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Informing other agents of an offer is a standard business practice. It happens all the time. Just today I had a lovely chat with a potential client, and helped her frame the email she had to send to two other [lesser of course ;) ] agents that she'd received an offer of representation.

What other posters have said above about NOT informing agents is very true. Nothing annoys me more than having just read a proposal or pages and written to an author only to hear "sorry, too late!"

*grrrr*

Let them know.
Give them enough time to read (a week tops, including a weekend if you can).
Set a specific date to hear from them (and an hour too if you want: midnight at the OK Corral! High noon!)

Off to oil my six-shooter I guess.

Sapphire135
03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Informing other agents of an offer is a standard business practice. It happens all the time. Just today I had a lovely chat with a potential client, and helped her frame the email she had to send to two other [lesser of course ;) ] agents that she'd received an offer of representation.

What other posters have said above about NOT informing agents is very true. Nothing annoys me more than having just read a proposal or pages and written to an author only to hear "sorry, too late!"

*grrrr*

Let them know.
Give them enough time to read (a week tops, including a weekend if you can).
Set a specific date to hear from them (and an hour too if you want: midnight at the OK Corral! High noon!)

Off to oil my six-shooter I guess.

Thanks Janet! I gave everyone a week, but I didn't specify an exact date in the email. Shoot! Do you think they'll know it was a week from the date of my email? I don't want to clog up their inboxes by emailing them back to specify. It's bad enough that in the elation of getting an offer I called two of the Ms. Agents "MR." (thank God in my original correspondence with them I used the right gender).

Sapphire135
03-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Just wanted to update this to say that I have heard back from most of the agents. Two that I notified requested the full (one the same day and another a few days later).

As of today, I still have one full out and my deadline to them is fast approaching (the deadline for when I have to give the offering agent an answer). Is it normal, if an agent has requested the full and is aware of my deadline, that they would not respond at all and just let the deadline pass? Sort of a no response means no type of thing?

Putputt
03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to update this to say that I have heard back from most of the agents. Two that I notified requested the full (one the same day and another a few days later).

As of today, I still have one full out and my deadline to them is fast approaching (the deadline for when I have to give the offering agent an answer). Is it normal, if an agent has requested the full and is aware of my deadline, that they would not respond at all and just let the deadline pass? Sort of a no response means no type of thing?

Not sure if it's normal, but I had six agents request the full from me after I notified them that I'd received offers, and one of them missed the deadline. I sent her another nudge and she never bothered replying. Another agent missed the deadline but came back a week after that with an offer. The others all came back with offers or "not for me, but good luck!" before the deadline.

Sapphire135
03-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Not sure if it's normal, but I had six agents request the full from me after I notified them that I'd received offers, and one of them missed the deadline. I sent her another nudge and she never bothered replying. Another agent missed the deadline but came back a week after that with an offer. The others all came back with offers or "not for me, but good luck!" before the deadline.

It is good to know that it can happen that way. I've had very good responses so far, but the original offering agent is still my top choice. What did you do when one of the agents offered for you after the deadline? That must have been bittersweet! I am assuming by then you had already signed with someone else?

Thanks for the response!

Putputt
03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
It is good to know that it can happen that way. I've had very good responses so far, but the original offering agent is still my top choice. What did you do when one of the agents offered for you after the deadline? That must have been bittersweet! I am assuming by then you had already signed with someone else?

Thanks for the response!

Heh, I apologized to the agent and told her I had already signed with another agent, and she said she understood, but that the offer still remains, so all's well that ends well!

onesecondglance
03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
... the offer still remains, so all's well that ends well!

... don't suppose it's transferrable? Like a coupon? :D

Putputt
03-12-2014, 11:21 PM
... don't suppose it's transferrable? Like a coupon? :D

Bahhahahaa, I wish!! Not that you need it!