Author's Note and Acknowledgements with Submission?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm currently subbing for agents with my knock 'em dead query letter. When I do finally get an agent interested in seeing the manuscript, do I send only the story manuscript, or do I also include the Author's Note and Acknowledgements?

I just don't know if an agent would care to see only the story first, then the "extras" later on.

allen

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:
I'm currently subbing for agents with my knock 'em dead query letter. When I do finally get an agent interested in seeing the manuscript, do I send only the story manuscript, or do I also include the Author's Note and Acknowledgements?

I just don't know if an agent would care to see only the story first, then the "extras" later on.

allen

Author's notes, acknowledgements/Dedications have no meaning until someone actually buys the book. Even then I usually wait until galleys before slipping them in.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, don't send them

Your agent is in charge of selling your MANUSCRIPT. The dedication, acknowledgments, etc, are part of the BOOK, not the manuscript. All those goodies are betwen you and the editor.

In any case, until you've been through the full editing process, you don't really know who-all you need to thank (or heap abuse upon).

Epigraphs, by the way--opening quotes, poems, etc., that appear before the opening chapter--are part of the manuscript, so you should feel free to send those to the agent.

Don't forget to thank all of us, too. ;~}

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks everyone for the replies, it's kind of what I thought.

And Ursusminor, in my third book which came out in December, I did thank James MacDonald and the rest of Absolute Write in the Acknowledgements for the support. :)

allen