Not open for further replies.

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
Greetings everyone!

I am in the delightful situation of having too much I want to do and the terrible state of not enough time to distribute amongst the three projects.

The first project is a one shot for a publisher I am not already working with. I have put this on the back burner to touch on again later. It was an interesting imprint and I had lots of ideas, but if I am treating this like a second job I needed to go where there was a clearer path for a return and thus decided to focus on novels for the publisher I am already working for.

phew... figured that out.

The second and third projects I am going to write this year. There is no way around it. That is my plan, to write both. I have a goal and clear plan in which I can accomplish both. Heck, I have a calendar.

But now, I am not sure in which order I want to do these two books. My plan for the coming years is to do a book quarterly, two for the mfm series I already have coming out and two for the mm series I have planned.

I have a strong concept for the mm that I want to lock in and I am just freaking excited to see it come together. That antsy kind of excited. The 'oh god, I gotta get this down or someone will steal it out of my mind' feeling. I am entering the research stage. So far I have the concept, some characters and overall world and mythos ideas that will build into plot with a little more thought. I let things build and collect in my mind and just write some random notes, so when I sit down to actually write it just flows. Not working can sometimes be as valuable as working for me. I want to write it once and write it right the first time. I wrote my first book from beginning to end in order on and off over the course of about five months. I want to cut that into 3 months writing for each book for the quarterly goal.

The third book is the most clear option as it is a follow up to my first book. It would help build my audience and continue the series I have already started. I am in research with quite a few plot ideas and most of the characters fleshed out. Using the setting from the last movie. I also know exactly where it is going, because I have more of that series figured out.

They both seem obvious for different reasons and both are pools of ideas dancing in my head and it is getting really distracting. To the point where I am having trouble figuring out where to start. I have a clear place to start for both. But I have to pick. My focus is goosey, so I can only be seriously working on one at a time. I can have ideas and things for the other, but I can only really focus on writing one at a time since I only have two days off a week and have to squeak my whole life plus writing into those days.

BAH! Help! Writing this out it seems like the follow up to my series is probably the one. But, I am still torn and need help thinking this through. I am too close to the issue. I need a third party.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

I am in the delightful situation of having too much I want to do and the terrible state of not enough time to distribute amongst the three projects.

The first project is a one shot for a publisher I am not already working with. I have put this on the back burner to touch on again later. It was an interesting imprint and I had lots of ideas, but if I am treating this like a second job I needed to go where there was a clearer path for a return and thus decided to focus on novels for the publisher I am already working for.

phew... figured that out.

The second and third projects I am going to write this year. There is no way around it. That is my plan, to write both. I have a goal and clear plan in which I can accomplish both. Heck, I have a calendar.

But now, I am not sure in which order I want to do these two books. My plan for the coming years is to do a book quarterly, two for the mfm series I already have coming out and two for the mm series I have planned.

I have a strong concept for the mm that I want to lock in and I am just freaking excited to see it come together. That antsy kind of excited. The 'oh god, I gotta get this down or someone will steal it out of my mind' feeling. I am entering the research stage. So far I have the concept, some characters and overall world and mythos ideas that will build into plot with a little more thought. I let things build and collect in my mind and just write some random notes, so when I sit down to actually write it just flows. Not working can sometimes be as valuable as working for me. I want to write it once and write it right the first time. I wrote my first book from beginning to end in order on and off over the course of about five months. I want to cut that into 3 months writing for each book for the quarterly goal.

The third book is the most clear option as it is a follow up to my first book. It would help build my audience and continue the series I have already started. I am in research with quite a few plot ideas and most of the characters fleshed out. Using the setting from the last movie. I also know exactly where it is going, because I have more of that series figured out.

They both seem obvious for different reasons and both are pools of ideas dancing in my head and it is getting really distracting. To the point where I am having trouble figuring out where to start. I have a clear place to start for both. But I have to pick. My focus is goosey, so I can only be seriously working on one at a time. I can have ideas and things for the other, but I can only really focus on writing one at a time since I only have two days off a week and have to squeak my whole life plus writing into those days.

BAH! Help! Writing this out it seems like the follow up to my series is probably the one. But, I am still torn and need help thinking this through. I am too close to the issue. I need a third party.

There is nothing wrong with feeling like you have more on your plate than you can handle. We all have a limited amount. It's easy to find yourself wanting to work on more projects than you can handle.

Now this is a bit unclear. A publisher you are not already working with and one that you are? Does that mean you intend to submit to a publisher or do you already have a contract? Here is one very easy way to decide your priorities; 1) who has already paid you an advance 2) who you have a contract with. If there is no contract with either publisher then it is a matter of personal preference.

A book every three months? An actual novel every three months? Wow. That is not only extremely difficult it is also exceedingly ambitious. Are you sure you can do that without having your quality suffer? Most of the writers I know, myself included, wouldn't be able to produce on that kind of schedule. Most also don't write their best when facing time constraints. From what you have posted this quarterly deadline seems self imposed. As a general rule the more time you can devote to something the better the quality of it will be.

As for actually choosing what to work on...

If there are no contractual obligations to a publisher then it is entirely up to you. From what you have posted I don't get the sense that any of the stories hold a greater appeal. If one does, if one simply interests you more, work on that one. If they are all equal in your mind then why not work on the one you believe you could finish the quickest?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pick one and write it. If you are planning to finish each in three months, there will be little delay in getting to the second and third. If nothing else, flip a coin and get writing. Agonizing about something like this is counter-productive--you have a track record of finishing what you start, so put that to work for yourself. The sooner you finish the project you select, the sooner you can get to the one you put off.

Or, think of it this way. We all want to read your stories. We're waiting. Do you think we care which one comes first if your indecision keeps you from bringing them all to us?

Your current situation is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless a publisher induced deadline forces me to work on a book right now, I don't worry about priorities, goals, or plans. I write whatever I'm most inetrested in writing. I've found the business side of writing works best for me if I do this. If I simply write whatever it is I feel like writing at the time, business takes care of itself.

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
There is nothing wrong with feeling like you have more on your plate than you can handle. We all have a limited amount. It's easy to find yourself wanting to work on more projects than you can handle.

Now this is a bit unclear. A publisher you are not already working with and one that you are? Does that mean you intend to submit to a publisher or do you already have a contract? Here is one very easy way to decide your priorities; 1) who has already paid you an advance 2) who you have a contract with. If there is no contract with either publisher then it is a matter of personal preference.

A book every three months? An actual novel every three months? Wow. That is not only extremely difficult it is also exceedingly ambitious. Are you sure you can do that without having your quality suffer? Most of the writers I know, myself included, wouldn't be able to produce on that kind of schedule. Most also don't write their best when facing time constraints. From what you have posted this quarterly deadline seems self imposed. As a general rule the more time you can devote to something the better the quality of it will be.

If there are no contractual obligations to a publisher then it is entirely up to you. From what you have posted I don't get the sense that any of the stories hold a greater appeal. If one does, if one simply interests you more, work on that one. If they are all equal in your mind then why not work on the one you believe you could finish the quickest?

It is a 40-45k book. Not like... 90-120k or something. That would be impossible for me, but not all. Some people with the publisher I am working with put out a lot of books a year. I heard one lady can make one every two weeks or something crazy. Now at THAT rate I would question it. But some people are just prolific..

There isn't a contract of any kind. I think I have settled on doing my menage follow up first. I have more done for that and it is coming to mind in the forefront now.

Pick one and write it. If you are planning to finish each in three months, there will be little delay in getting to the second and third. If nothing else, flip a coin and get writing. Agonizing about something like this is counter-productive--you have a track record of finishing what you start, so put that to work for yourself. The sooner you finish the project you select, the sooner you can get to the one you put off.

Or, think of it this way. We all want to read your stories. We're waiting. Do you think we care which one comes first if your indecision keeps you from bringing them all to us?

Your current situation is only a problem if you let it be a problem.

Too true! It was silly to worry over. But y'all have helped me think it through more. Thank you.

Unless a publisher induced deadline forces me to work on a book right now, I don't worry about priorities, goals, or plans. I write whatever I'm most inetrested in writing. I've found the business side of writing works best for me if I do this. If I simply write whatever it is I feel like writing at the time, business takes care of itself.

Wow! That is great. :)
How free-form.
I need a liiitttle more structure than that. Some self imposed goals and plans to keep myself on track are important. Otherwise I tend to troll around youtube and look at pictures of cats on facebook all day.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

LOTLOF you're coming at this from an entirely different world of publishing from the one she is involved in, and I see these conversations all the time on AW.

Neither of you is wrong, you're in different sections of the publishing universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.