• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Betas for my First Chaper (New-Adult Contemporary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some beta readers for the first chapter of my new-adult contemporary novel.

The story is about a young man leaving his hometown to travel around in search of an adventure. It ends up being a love story, but the opening chapter is mostly about him making the decision to leave. I've had it beta read quite a few times already, and I'm getting drastically mixed reviews on it. Some say it's awesome, others say that they lose interest and don't see any reason to root for my MC.

So, I figure getting a few more people to read it might help. I'm rewriting it now and should have another version ready in a day or two, so if you're willing, please let me know and I'll PM you.

I'm very willing to read some of your first chapters in exchange. In fact, I'd really like to, because openings are the biggest thing I'm struggling with right now and critiquing helps me learn. :)

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
first chapter is also my main difficulty. I'm even considering for my actual book to introduce my MC in the second chapter...
you can send me your chapter, I'll read it and tell you what I think.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Have you considered posting your chapter on SYW? That might be a good resource for you. And you are right, critiquing others' work can be a real help when revising your own. Good luck to you.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really feel comfortable posting my work on a public forum, but I will send it to anyone who wants to see it. I have two people so far, and that alone will help a lot. I'm doing a rewrite at the moment but it should be ready before long. I will PM you arcan, thank you!

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome andiwrite. That's why this forum is for. And I'll be needing the exact same help in a few days (hopefully). And that's a great way for me to improve my writing too.

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I private messaged everyone. I really need a wide variety of opinions. The chapter is a little over 5K words right now. I've had a few people read it so far and the opinions are all over the place, ranging from great to terrible. It's pretty confusing, so hopefully if more people read it, I can get a better grasp on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.