Newbie Type Question [seeking screenwriting collaborator]

MichaelBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
worldconditions.com
I’m new here. The 39 posts will attest to that. So if I ask a dumb question, please bear with me. It may seem dumb. Nonetheless, it does come from a place where more learning always has to happen.

I actually have one question which I’ll ask for two reasons.

Would it be inappropriate for me to generally seek out a collaborator in this forum:

because it just isn’t done that way here?

or

no, but only after you’ve been here for a long enough time to learn from others?

Or, possibly, it wouldn’t be inappropriate at all. :hooray:

Thanks, ya’ll.

To friendship,
Michael

“To friendship” is my normal signature. It presupposes nothing in particular. It merely salutes friendship in an age that teaches us that success is measured by how many enemies we defeat.”

World Conditions and Action Items

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There's no harm in asking! We have a Beta Readers forum that also serves as a place to ask for buddies, collaborators, etc. But since screenwriters maybe won't look there, perhaps posting here makes more sense.

Just thinking aloud here... there would have to be a good reason for me to look for a collaborator. A project that mutually interests us both. And I'd have to know what the other person's writing was like, what they were bringing to the table. I dunno if I could work with a total stranger. I'd at least want to see some samples of their writing, maybe in Share Your Work, so I could also see how well they react to feedback/criticism!

-Derek

MichaelBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
worldconditions.com
Thanks, d.

I’ve written poetry and that’s been published, oped pieces for an online news outlet called OpEdNews and I’ve released 10 musical CDs. So far the CD project, my largest, has been one of those “don’t quit your day job” situations. I don’t believe that the quality of the music has anything to do with it. I believe that the publishing business, especially in music, is almost unthinkably competitive and I also believe that ageism played a bit of a part in why no one’s signed me yet.

However, I have never, never, never, ever attempted to write a screenplay. This is one major reason why I’m looking for a collaborator.

There is a book by a man named Bruce Watson which is entitled BREAD & ROSES; Mills, Migrants, And The Struggle For The American Dream. The book follows a major labor movement in 1912 in Lawrence, Massachusetts. I believe that this story needs to be told and vividly, especially today when employers are claiming some pretty outrageous power. Today’s American worker needs to know what American workers really are.

I’ve tried looking online at “How To Write A Screen Play” sites, but I get a little lost. I also think that writing a screenplay would work well with two people working on it. When staffs write episodes for TV sitcoms, for example, is part of the dynamic bouncing ideas off of one another? Don’t people sort of role play or act out ideas in front of one another to see if they work? Or do people do better writing alone?

This is one reason I posted this. I love language and I love to write, I’ve just never tried my hand at screenplays. I defer to you and others who have experience in this area, at least until I learn more if I, indeed, learn more.

To friendship,
Michael

“Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.” - The Declaration of Independence

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, d.

I’ve written poetry and that’s been published, oped pieces for an online news outlet called OpEdNews and I’ve released 10 musical CDs. So far the CD project, my largest, has been one of those “don’t quit your day job” situations. I don’t believe that the quality of the music has anything to do with it. I believe that the publishing business, especially in music, is almost unthinkably competitive and I also believe that ageism played a bit of a part in why no one’s signed me yet.

However, I have never, never, never, ever attempted to write a screenplay. This is one major reason why I’m looking for a collaborator.

There is a book by a man named Bruce Watson which is entitled BREAD & ROSES; Mills, Migrants, And The Struggle For The American Dream. The book follows a major labor movement in 1912 in Lawrence, Massachusetts. I believe that this story needs to be told and vividly, especially today when employers are claiming some pretty outrageous power. Today’s American worker needs to know what American workers really are.

I’ve tried looking online at “How To Write A Screen Play” sites, but I get a little lost. I also think that writing a screenplay would work well with two people working on it. When staffs write episodes for TV sitcoms, for example, is part of the dynamic bouncing ideas off of one another? Don’t people sort of role play or act out ideas in front of one another to see if they work? Or do people do better writing alone?

This is one reason I posted this. I love language and I love to write, I’ve just never tried my hand at screenplays. I defer to you and others who have experience in this area, at least until I learn more if I, indeed, learn more.

To friendship,
Michael

“Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.” - The Declaration of Independence

Couple things - sitcom writers' rooms have more than one person because of the workload. No, they don't generally sit around acting stuff out and such, most do their writing alone, though different people work differently.

Second, if you're intending to base this screenplay off the book you mentioned (instead of just writing an original thing about the period), you'd need to option it or buy the rights before doing so.

That said, as above, yeah, you can look for a collaborator or what have you in betas - though you're kind of correct in that you'd likely have somewhat better odds (at finding someone you click with, if nothing else), by hanging around and interacting first.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I appreciate your problem, when you're starting off and wanting to learn it seems lonesome. But you can at least bring yourself up to the level where you understand how screenplays are laid out and how they work. If you haven't already, take a peek at the screenwriting tips thread and consider reading the screenplays that were made into your favorite movies.

Unrelated, and just sayin', consider moving your "signature" into your actual member signature (via User CP > Edit Signature or Quick Links > Edit Signature) so it shows automatically every time you post.

-Derek

Last edited:

MichaelBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
worldconditions.com
Well, I should say it took me long enough to answer you. Please accept my apologies.

Secondly, accept my gratitude for the suggestions. I will check out screenwriting tips very soon. Thank you.

One reason I don’t use the signature functionality in the CP is that my signature doesn’t only consist of “To friendship”. The full signature is “To friendship, Michael” followed by one of about 500 quotes I have followed by a link to my web page. And, being a bit OCD about it, I’ve always made the quote and the “To friendship, Michael” the same color and font. As the quote changes every time, it’s difficult to create a permanent signature.

I know that doesn’t make much sense, but, then, if you get to know me, and I hope many people here do and I get to know them, you’ll find that much of what I write won’t seem to make sense. Just kidding. ;)

Thank you for your help.

To friendship,
Michael

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” – George Washington