Russian Dialogue Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This question really isn't for me, but for my best friend. She is working on a Russian zombie type novel and is having some issues with writing the Russian text.

I'm wondering if there is anyone here that may be able to offer up some advice on Russian dialogue and how it should be written, so that readers can read it.

Much appreciated.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean writing cyrillic? As in, ФВГНтоаг? Or do you mean dealing with grammar and such?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't make a meal of it.

If the intended readers are English speaking, and they know the story takes place in Russia, write the dialogue in English.

Last edited:

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Don't make a meal of it.

If the intended readers are English speaking, and they know the story takes place in Russia, write the dialogue in English.

I'm going to add on to this.

Though I feel writing in another language has plenty of advantages, I would strongly recommend against it if you don't actually know the language. For example, you can Google Translate all you want but just because it's translated doesn't mean it's in a way that Russians will actually understand what the heck you are saying. For all you know, russians may look at that and laugh at the poor quality or get offended for whatever reason. The same goes for if you learn it out of a book or let someone else translate the language. Just because somebody translates your text in their language doesn't mean they're doing so in a manner that will help you in the long run.

Deleted member 42

I'm going to move this to Roundtable where you're likely more responses.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I should mention too that on a game dev forum a japanese man with no knowledge of english used google translate to help him out in asking questions to a group of english speakers. Nobody (I was one of the people) was able to understand what he was asking as a result. After a couple days of no progress someone else more experienced then him spoke in his language and solved the issue.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Do you mean writing cyrillic? As in, ФВГНтоаг? Or do you mean dealing with grammar and such?

My friend was getting cyrillic and she wasn't sure if that was the only way to write it. I don't think she was worried to much about the text rather than the grammar.

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's hard to give advice unless we know more about the intended audience. You make it sound like this whole story is not in Russian, so I'm wondering why she wants to put the dialogue in Russian. Does she speak Russian? Do you?

There is one part of her novel that takes place between a Russian person and a German. She was originally going to have a translator, but I think she figured out a way to keep it where the Russian dialogue is kept whispered between person and translator. I'm not sure where she is going with all of this, I just know her main story line. Neither of us are Russian.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There are many Russian writers out there. They aren't difficult to find online, and many of them need help with English. Your friends helps one of them, and he helps her.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My friend was getting cyrillic and she wasn't sure if that was the only way to write it. I don't think she was worried to much about the text rather than the grammar.

What do you mean by "getting Cyrillic?" Cyrillic is an alphabet; it's what you use to write Russian. But if the intended audience doesn't speak Russian, and the author doesn't either, I'd stay far away from using actual Russian language passages. And Google Translate. All you'll get is unintentional comedy.

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: What asroc said... :)

If she really must use Russian dialogue, then I'd advise learning how to transliterate it rather than having Cyrillic as an additional barrier between the non-Russianist reader and the text.

But I'd honestly advise against it. The thing is, people who can read Russian might be irritated/alienated/amused/all three if it's bad Russian; and people who don't have no way to relate to it. You can't puzzle out Russian words if you don't at least have another Slavic language. Even then, I tend to think including more than the absolute bare necessary minimum of foreign language words isn't really a good idea (it doesn't work for me, anyway, and I'm multilingual).

I still remember the Big-Six-published commercial novel I read that had huge swathes of nonsensical Spanish. It was recognisably meant to be *something*, and I ended up sitting and puzzling it out backwards to figure out what was meant to be said. It was quite funny, actually -- things like "la momia" (Egyptian mummy) for "mummy" (as in mother), and "Caramelo de buenos días!" which was clearly the Google translate for "Good morning, sweetie." But it didn't exactly work as the author intended... :)

Last edited:

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know I've had to translate a few things within my novel, but I checked what I was given numerous times before even using it. Plus I had a little bit of help with it. I think she was able to stray away from using the dialogue entirely now and has went another way with it at this point.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
What folks here are saying. Write it in English, but consider using the occasional Russian word where it fits the rhythm. Russian has some great words that just don't translate well in English. Depending on how she uses these, they could be understandable in context or warrant a quickie explanation within the text.

And in most cases, I'd use roman script approximation (our alphabet). There might be occasions where it makes sense to write in Cyrillic (character comes to an interesting sign, for example). But if she does that, she should limit herself to a line or two and translate it promptly into English.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good uniform transliteration system between Russian and English. (Mandarin, for example, has pinyin, which is easy to render. But I've never seen the Russian equivalent.)

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
My advice to friend: Just write it in English, throwing in the occasional chyort and svoloch for spice. Quite good enough. If it's genre fiction. If it's a high lit epic like War and Peace where half the first chapter is in French--then hats off and get a real Russian, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.