For all the dream enthusiasts here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Over the past few months, I have been having a recurring dream of being in public somewhere and suddenly realizing I'm in my nightgown. I'm completely embarrassed. Most of the places are familiar to me - work, my neighborhood, etc. I have no recollection of how I got to these places. I'm just there - and then I realize how I'm dressed.

What do you think it means?

Cheryll

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i don't know, but if you find out, please tell me.

because i've been dreaming that i'm also out in public in your nightgown.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Cheryll: Vulnerability or insecurity.

Haskins: You're becoming Zach's ideal woman...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bitten: To dream that you are being bitten, represents your vulnerability regarding your unresolved issues emotions. You may be pestered by a problem or obstacle.

Lips: To see lips in your dream, signifies sensuality, sex, love, and romance. They are also seen as a means of communication as in the familiar phrase "read my lips".

I put in your key words. these are the things they had to say...so, if you combine them, you are vulnerable regarding emotional or communication issues. Or you are pestered by an obstacle regarding communication.

=)

Zombies: denotes that you are physically and/or emotionally detached from people and situations that are currently surrounding you. You are out of touch. Alternatively, it may indicate that you are feeling dead inside and are simply going through the motions of daily living.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Now that is freaky!

I've also been dreaming about Haskins out in public in a nightgown.

Dreams are truly strange!

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i don't know, but if you find out, please tell me.

because i've been dreaming that i'm also out in public in your nightgown.

I must say, you look quite lovely in the lilac floral gown with the spaghetti straps. :D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
Bitten: To dream that you are being bitten, represents your vulnerability regarding your unresolved issues emotions. You may be pestered by a problem or obstacle.

Lips: To see lips in your dream, signifies sensuality, sex, love, and romance. They are also seen as a means of communication as in the familiar phrase "read my lips".

I put in your key words. these are the things they had to say...so, if you combine them, you are vulnerable regarding emotional or communication issues. Or you are pestered by an obstacle regarding communication.

=)

Zombies: denotes that you are physically and/or emotionally detached from people and situations that are currently surrounding you. You are out of touch. Alternatively, it may indicate that you are feeling dead inside and are simply going through the motions of daily living.

whoa.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Also on that website:

Many times, when you realize that you are naked in your dream, no one else seems to notice. Everyone else in the dream is going about their business without giving a second look at your nakedness. This implies that your fears are unfounded; no one will notice except you. You may be magnifying the situation and making an issue of nothing.

Interesting.

Cheryll

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It puts the lotion in the basket.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
What about having a dream of Shaggy + Scooby Doo in a room covered in pink velcro and filled with dancing skelitons?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
What about having a dream of Shaggy + Scooby Doo in a room covered in pink velcro and filled with dancing skelitons?

You've been watching too much Boomerang. =)

but a couple of tidbits (note they didn't have an entry for velcro)

Pink
Pink represents love, joy, sweetness, happiness, affection, kindness. Being in love or healing through love is also implied with this color.

Cartoon: To dream that you are watching cartoons, indicates that you are not taking life seriously.

Skeleton
To see a skeleton in your dream, represents something that is not fully developed. You may still in be the planning stages of some situation or project. Alternatively, it may suggest that you need to get to the bottom of some matter. You need to stand up for yourself and your rights.
To see someone depicted as a skeleton, signifies that your relationship with them is long dead.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"It puts the lotion in the basket."

Cheryll said:

Guess you've never seen Silence of the Lambs. That's what the skin slitting psychopath said to the girl down in the well whom he was planning to kill.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
How does this dream interpretation stuff work? Aren't the definitions a bit too general, like horoscopes in daily newspapers, or psychic readings by mediums?

Let's say I dream about a big dog running towards me. If I like big dogs, then the dream is pleasant and the dog is representing something nice. But if I'm terrified of big dogs, then the opposite is true.

Doesn't the definition of something that appears in a dream depend on how the dreamer feels about that particular thing, and so therefore can't really be generalised.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Simon Woodhouse said:
How does this dream interpretation stuff work? Aren't the definitions a bit too general, like horoscopes in daily newspapers, or psychic readings by mediums?

Let's say I dream about a big dog running towards me. If I like big dogs, then the dream is pleasant and the dog is representing something nice. But if I'm terrified of big dogs, then the opposite is true.

Doesn't the definition of something that appears in a dream depend on how the dreamer feels about that particular thing, and so therefore can't really be generalised.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, absolutely it depends on what the person feels about a particular thing! Dreams are very personal. What a particular thing means changes for each person, but there are symbols that are considered "universal." the art of interpretation is applying those general symbols to specific situations. If you look at themes and symbols, these are things that are very common to large populations. Lots of people dream about flying, being chased, being naked in public, things happening to their hands, feet, cars, teeth, etc, each of those has a representation common to most people. Putting into life situations of the individual is the tricky thing.

Most people who are true dream interpretters (and went to school for the stuff) will say, "this is what this dream is trying to convey - this is what the symbols mean, now turn it inward and find out how it applies to you".

Then again, it could all be crap! =)

Is it too general and "highly suspect" probably, but I do think there is a bit of merit to some of it. I've heard a dream interpretter at work before and it really was amazing to listen to the various dreams and how the same symbols are applied differently to each person.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
To Simon Woodhouse,

The dream symbol meanings a person gets from the net or a book are general. There is much more to dream symbolism than generalities and the seemingly obvious representations they may depict.

For example, in any dream there may be combinations of symbols such as primary symbols, secondary(supporting symbols), symbols of location, symbols of association, symbols of order, sequence and much more.

How do I know this? I know this because I am a dream interpreter by nature and profession. I have been involved in the study of dreams for a number of years and I use them, when appropriate, in my work.

Just as java script is a type of computer language or programming, dream symbols combine to create the language or script of the subconscious mind.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
simon,

not to disparage psy7ven's chosen profession, but dream interpretation, in my opinion, does absolutely nothing for you that you can't do for yourself with a little focused introspection. even less, since an interpreter, much less a book or the internet, has little to no intimate knowledge of your personal experiences, your thought processes, your deepest-seated fears or your desires. sure you can tell them those that spring to mind (for a fee), but it's still guesswork on their part.

dreams are simply the process of dumping extraneous information from both your conscious and subconscious minds while you sleep. this is why they are so random, so surreal. when images or scenarios do impact you on waking from them, it's a coincidental connection between something that was dumped in your sleep and current fears, desires or memories that have been rattling around in your conscious mind.

dreams are fun, can evoke neat little tingles, but they're really just the psychological manifestation of a biological process.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
"It puts the lotion in the basket."

Guess you've never seen Silence of the Lambs. That's what the skin slitting psychopath said to the girl down in the well whom he was planning to kill.

LOL. I've seen that movie about a dozen times. I just had no idea what it had to do with dreams.

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
I think that dream symbols are not so much universal as "conventional" -- that is, certain ideas happen so commonly that they take on certain conventional meanings that may or may not apply to a specific situation. It's like language. Take a word like "cow." It doesn't have a universal meaning, per se, even though most English speakers know what it means. But "I went to WalMart and was in line at the checkout for 45 minutes because of some old cow and her four squalling brats"--suddenly "cow" has a different meaning that says a lot both about the woman at WalMart and about me and my attitude (and culture and nurture and maybe even parentage, who knows). The unconventional meaning actually communicates more information.

So you can go to a web site with a "dream dictionary" and say there's value there, and be right. And you can say, "It has to be individualized," and also be right. And you can say, "Wait a minute, how can they both be right?" And you know what? That would be right too. :D

After my dad died, my mom told me about a dream where she was visiting my dad's grave, and she saw an old boyfriend of hers from her school days years ago, walking away with his back towards her. She walked after him for a little ways, and called out his name (he was an old boyfriend, after all), but when he turned around, he had a pig snout instead of a nose. She asked me what the dream meant.

I told her I figured she was weighing the idea of being single again, and just playing "what if?" in her mind, i.e. what if she were to start dating again, and her mind was saying, in effect, that men are pigs, and she'd be happier staying single. Or more elaborately, that she wasn't particularly interested in investing the effort in beginning a new relationship, since she felt the one she had with dad was special and probably not one that would be easily replaced.

The most important part of dream interpretation IMHO is if the person who had the dream feels like the interpretation is correct and satisfying. If the interpretation is correct, it will satisfy their desire for an explanation. If the interpretation is not correct, the dreamer will have questions and loose ends, and that's the clue that something's not quite right in the interpretation. My mom went on to talk about how she felt about remarrying (purely theoretical, since she wasn't seeing anyone and still isn't), and the dream pretty well summed up her attitude. Not that she's a man-hater, but she just doesn't expect any other man to live up to the standards my dad set. They had a good marriage.

I'm only an amateur dream interpreter, but I've always had something of an affinity for it, and it's kind of fun. If I know the person and their life circumstances it's usually pretty easy for me to discern the meaning of the dream. Or at least I think I'm getting the meaning anyway. But it's fun to try.

Oh, the "I'm in public in my nighties/skivvies/whatever" dreams? I associate that with being in situations where, in real life, you're just not confident you have what it takes to cope with the demands that are being placed upon you, especially the social demands. Especially when society (including family) insists on making demands that fail to respect what you are and should be capable of delivering. Sometimes dreams are an indicator that you're under pressure, and it's time to take stock of your situation.

But that's all the tea-leaf reading I'm going to do for today. I have no knowledge of your situation, so I can't say whether that has anything at all to do with why you're having those dreams. Besides, it's my bed-time now. I'll let yunz know if I dream anything interesting... :e2zzz:

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dreams were mentioned but honestly i was just being a smart alec.

Status
Not open for further replies.