Eating less to write more and better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiteraryNovelist

Please make me write more
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever wondered if there's a correlation between eating less and writing more and better? Just look at Joyce Carol Oates. She writes a ton. And she's very skinny. A few years ago I researched her online to see if I could find anything regarding her eating habits. I did find one interviewer who referred to her as an anorexic. And she's written a lot about jogging every day, and writing in her head while she jogs. And I think I remember reading something she wrote about eating very little.

I think I've noticed that I write more when I'm restricting my food intake. And also I may think better when I'm on a low-fat diet, when my brain isn't clogged with high-fat meals.

Has anyone noticed anything of the sort for themselves?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Barack Obama is very skinny. I don't know how much he eats, or what his metabolism is like. The thing I do know is, if your work is pretty much unpublished and unknown, and you quit your day job to devote full time to writing, you probably will eat less.

caw

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
The only relationship I've noticed between food and writing is that if I don't get enough food, I start thinking about the contents of my fridge and not about fighting the blinky bar on my screen. I have also found stuffing my face remedies this and allows the word slaying to forge onwards.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be careful about restricting your food intake thinking it'll make you a better writer. It may not be the quantity, but rather the types of food you're eating. I can't believe that anorexia helps this woman you mention (or anyone). Just in general, eating healthy will make you feel better and that may be behind any boosts in writing.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The only relationship I've noticed between food and writing is that if I don't get enough food, I start thinking about the contents of my fridge and not about fighting the blinky bar on my screen. I have also found stuffing my face remedies this and allows the word slaying to forge onwards.

^^^ This for a lot of the time. But when I'm really engrossed in a task (mostly because there's a deadline and I'm cutting it fine), then food isn't really on my mind.

I'd like to see a bit more data on productivity against noshing, controlling for all the other factors like calorific intake, metabolism, activity etc.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much about eating less as about eating in a way that doesn't clog your brain. Basically, avoid high-fat, as you've already guessed, and focus on complex carbs (whole grain), fruits and vegetables to help keep your blood sugar even and your vitamins-- especially B-vitamins--at healthy amounts.

In the case of amounts, though--if you tend to eat heavy meals, then it can be about eating less per meal and more often. Over-eating means hard work digesting, and does pull blood from other parts of your body, including the brain.

You're onto a good track, keep going! :)

Last edited:

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
LOL well I fail at this method. I have a fast metabolism and I exercise regularly, but if you take away my food I WILL cut you.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am at my best when I'm eating. It helps me to concentrate better. (It helps me not be as easily distracted.) I intentionally go to buffets when I need the utmost concentration. And I am skinny. If anyone ever called me anorexic, I'd be highly offended. You can be slim and healthy at the same time. No need to subject your body to that torture.

It's not so much about eating less as about eating in a way that doesn't clog your brain. Basically, avoid high-fat, as you've already guessed, and focus on complex carbs (whole grain), fruits and vegetables to help keep your blood sugar even and your vitamins-- especially B-vitamins--at healthy amounts.
^This.

Last edited:

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say skinny has little to do with what you eat. My sister has thyroid problems. She eats quite a bit less than I do, but weighs 50 lbs more.

I write best on a full belly, with a cup of coffee.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Energetic people are often both skinny and productive. It's that whole high metabolism thing.

If that's not your natural state, then starving yourself won't make it so. You can only be your own best, not someone else's best.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say skinny has little to do with what you eat. My sister has thyroid problems. She eats quite a bit less than I do, but weighs 50 lbs more.
It absolutely does have a lot to do with what you eat. Your sister has a medical condition that affects her weight. That's different. Besides which, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet that she has to watch what she eats to keep her weight down.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the individual.

When I'm hungry, my writing tends to spiral into excessive descriptions of food. Also I get cranky as hell and threaten to nom anything in my way. I notice I'm most productive when I have some protein in me...like yogurt, tea (decaf) with milk etc. Almonds also help keep me going. Carbs are my favorite, but they tend to give me a quick burst of energy and then 15 min later I want to take a nap.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Your brain needs food. That's what makes it work. If you don't eat food, your brain will die.

I work better when I've eaten a bit, but not so much that I fall asleep at my desk. Generally what happens is I work all morning, then eat a huge lunch because I think I deserve one, then nap all afternoon.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Chompers, watching what she eats does little for her. She diets, and her weight doesn't budge. Being on the right meds is what makes all the difference for her.

I used to feel critical towards people who I felt 'weren't trying enough'. Over the years, I've come to realize people have different metabolisms. Different genetics. Different appetites because of genetics. Not saying watching what you eat is bad. Just saying embrace what you got, and what others got, and enjoy your life.

LiteraryNovelist

Please make me write more
Registered
Reaction score
I think maybe the reason I find myself writing more when I'm dieting is that dieting is not fun. In fact, it's a bit bleak. So it puts me in a frame of mind of doing serious stuff, of being productive, disciplined, not goofing off. But when I'm not dieting, I tend to let myself go with food, and that puts me in a much more cheerful frame of mind, and I feel like having fun, goofing off, not writing, posting on this site, etc.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
^^^ This for a lot of the time. But when I'm really engrossed in a task (mostly because there's a deadline and I'm cutting it fine), then food isn't really on my mind.

Same here. When I'm busy and I don't have anyone else around to stop me for a meal break, I'm prone to keep putting off lunch for just ten more minutes....

But I don't think that has anything to do with the quality of my work. If anything, I think depriving yourself of food is more likely to make it difficult to concentrate. At least, I've definitely noticed that I can't focus as well when I'm very hungry.

I do think that having a healthy diet and an active lifestyle can help people have more energy, which can in turn help with writing, I'm sure. And exercising can certainly be a good time to mentally plan.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see. Dieting makes me very sick. Being sick makes me take off work and school. Taking off work and school sometimes means more time for writing. So, I guess there could be some correlation?

I guess cooking elaborate meals for myself is more likely to cut into my writing time. I'll write more if I just make myself some ramen and a soda than if I go all out and cook myself a full meal even if the meal does have fewer calories, more nutrients, whatever, because the full meal will take at least 45 minutes to prepare and enjoy fully. So really I would say it's the opposite.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I used to feel critical towards people who I felt 'weren't trying enough'. Over the years, I've come to realize people have different metabolisms. Different genetics. Different appetites because of genetics. Not saying watching what you eat is bad. Just saying embrace what you got, and what others got, and enjoy your life.

I'm one of those people with a slow metabolism -- I can put on weight by merely thinking of food! -- and you are so right. I've just returned from three weeks in an Indian ashram, where everyone eats exactly the same. The main staple is white rice, which I never eat at home. But I ate the same as everyone else, this time; but I always asked for half-servings of rice. There's also a lot of sugar there: in all hot beverages, and in the deserts. What I noticed is this: many of the people (Indians) who live there permanently, are bone skinny, even if they eat mountains of white rice (which they all do!). One or two could be classified as overweight. No-one is obese. No-one does much exercize. I walked half an hour up a mountain and half an hour back every day. I gained two kilos in three weeks (Actually, I thought I would gain much more; I was happy to see that the trousers I wore for the flight out still fit me on the return flight!)

I also have to add that low-fat is not a recipe for losing weight. It's eating the right fats, and the right carbs. I lost the most weight in my life EVER, when I switched all my fats around -- mostly, no more processed fats (sunflower oil and co), just olive oil and butter and, especially, lots of coconut oil and whole carbs. So, very high fat diet -- and still I lost 20 pounds in a month, and kept it off.

I don't think being skinny has anything to do with it. Food itself, does. A good, healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables will keep your mind keen and alert, and that's the main secret to a good creative output. Junk food and co will make your mind sluggish and slow -- Check out the Indian theory of Sattvic versus Tamasic foods, and their effect on the mind. (Too lazy to google it myself right now.) (ETA -- OK, I just did -- here's some basic, if a bit simplistic -- info: http://ayurveda-foryou.com/treat/foodtemparament.html)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

This.

Eating healthy is good no matter what your profession is. I imagine a healthy diet would do more for your writing than any sort of calorie restriction.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I guess cooking elaborate meals for myself is more likely to cut into my writing time. I'll write more if I just make myself some ramen and a soda than if I go all out and cook myself a full meal even if the meal does have fewer calories, more nutrients, whatever, because the full meal will take at least 45 minutes to prepare and enjoy fully. So really I would say it's the opposite.

I eat very healthy food, but I don't cook much. In fact, I don't cook at all unless I have guests. At the most, a soup, which takes less that 15 minutes to prepare. Healthy doesn't mean elaborate. (Doesn't mean boring or tasteless either!)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

This. And I find my desire to write and be at the computer has not exactly been slenderizing :) Easy to skip the gym when I'm on a roll, or when I'm behind on some self-imposed writing goal.

I've only been to a couple of writer's conferences, but I saw all kinds of body morphs there.

Last edited:

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
The brain's energy comes from glucose. It needs this to run and work efficiently.

If I lose attention, then eating a carrot stick or two does the trick. I'd say snacking on healthy foods keeps my brain ticking over wonderfully. Eating less makes me cranky and I can't concentrate. I think some authors are skinny due to their metabolism.

Your body will run better on healthy food, that's a given. Your brain needs nutrient rich foods. The more nutrient rich foods you eat, the less you need to eat. Your body won't be starved for minerals and vitamins, which is why when you eat a potato chip you want to eat the whole packet and even that doesn't fill you up.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Mahatma Gandhi or some other dali lama had a good line.

"I fasted for 24 hours. I got nothing done." :)

As to my own opinion, for what it is worth, I believe it is an individual thing as has been said.

There are some brilliantly creative peeps who eat like it is going out of style and shovel down grub by the truckload. And then on teh flipside there are some brilliantly creative peeps who eat like rabbits: a celery stick here; a sunflower seed or two there.

As to myself I opt for moderation. I avoid "overeating" and "undereating" and try to keep it healthy. (No sugar, little saturated fat, artificial ingredients, etc.) Makes a difference in my experience. If I eat too much I get sluggish and lazy. If I eat too little I become jittery if you know what I mean.

Again, it is an individual thing.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I eat very healthy food, but I don't cook much. In fact, I don't cook at all unless I have guests. At the most, a soup, which takes less that 15 minutes to prepare. Healthy doesn't mean elaborate. (Doesn't mean boring or tasteless either!)

I find cooking to be meditative so even if I get less writing done, I enjoy it. And for it to be both healthy and palatable, for me, yes, that usually does mean elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.