PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Formatting Checkers! NO EDITS, Editing is DONE

slhuang
02-28-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm self-publishing, and HOLY CRAP THE MANUSCRIPT IS DONE! I'm formatting it today -- will hopefully finish today -- and that means I need people to help me check it on devices I don't own. *makes puppy dog eyes at AW*

Devices I have, devices I need: I have an old-school Kindle, a PC with Kindle app, and an Android phone with Kindle app (plus whatever I can find to download, hur). I also have family members with a Kindle Fire and an iPad, and I'm hoping they'll have time. I'm happy to get some repeats of any of these devices, but I'd also really appreciate a Nook, any other popular ebook readers, and other Apple products...uh, basically anything I haven't mentioned.

What I need: People who get completely thrown out of the story by a smart quote facing the wrong way or a weird tab stop. I want the nitpicks, folks. In particular:

that all em dashes, smart quotes, ellipses, and special characters have come through formatted correctly
that all smart quotes are facing the right direction, particularly when abutting em dashes
that all apostrophes before words (e.g., 'em) are right single quotes instead of left single quotes
that no straight quotes got through, as they should all be curly
that all the indents are correct
that all special characters are showing up correctly (such as "déjà vu")
that all chapter headings look clean and professional, with no weird line breaks or strange alignment
that the table of contents works
that none of the chapters have cut off prematurely (one of my betas had this problem when I quick-converted in Calibre)
and please definitely tell me about any typos you find.

What I do not need: Editing. In fact, please don't give me any edits (other than typos, which hopefully there aren't any! *dies at the thought of typos*) unless you feel irredeemably strongly about something. :) It's been through 4 beta readers, a language copyeditor, and an editor, so it should be set.

Timeline: I would like a pretty quick turnaround on this, if possible -- like about a week. I am assured that the book is a quick read. :) If you agree to do it and have to drop out, or don't like the book enough to finish, no big deal. Also, if you have time to skim and check chapter headings but not read the whole thing, I'll take it -- I can probably make a list of the special characters and any other places that are most likely to be screwy. :) This is a "as thoroughly as I can check this, but if I can't, then okay" situation: low pressure.

Swapping: I am definitely happy to formatting-proofread-swap as I am definitely one of those people who catches formatting mistakes. ;) I am also always happy to beta more thoroughly with or without reciprocation for people I know, as long as I have time and it looks like our writing/crit styles match, and if you read for me I will know you! So. :D

The book: Speculative fiction thriller-esque thing, with lots of math and guns. And superpowers. The blurb:

--------------------------------------

Cas Russell is good at math. Scary good.

The vector calculus blazing through her head lets her smash through armed men twice her size and dodge every bullet in a gunfight. It's nice being the only person around with a superpower; she can take any job for the right price and shoot anyone who gets in her way.

Then Cas discovers someone with a power even more dangerous than her own -- someone who can reach directly into people's minds and twist their brains into Moebius strips. Someone intent on becoming the world's puppet master.

Someone who's already warped Cas's thoughts once before, with her none the wiser.

Cas should run. Going up against a psychic with a god complex isn't exactly a rational move, and saving the world from a power-hungry telepath isn't her responsibility anyway. But she isn't about to let anyone get away with violating her brain. And besides, she's got a small arsenal and some deadly mathematics on her side.

There's only one problem. She doesn't know which of her thoughts are her own anymore.

--------------------------------------

Warnings for violence, language, and gratuitous computer hacking. No sexual content. 101K words.

If interested, send me a PM with:

what device you can read on
what type of file you need
an email address
what name you want in the acknowledgements (or if you don't want to be mentioned that's fine :))

Thank you, AW!

Medievalist
03-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Also:

Ask people to check links in the TOC and the link to the TOC
Verify that the books opens where you want it to open; i.e. click/tap the cover -- what's the page it goes to?

slhuang
03-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Ah, thank you, I shall! :)