Nebraska

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
This is a must see movie. It is easy to see why it got an Oscar nod. It is certainly not Best Picture caliber but certainly worthy to be in the running with the other powerhouse movies this year.

Briefly, it is a about an elderly man who gets a sweepstakes letter from a company in Lincoln, NE, telling him he won one million dollars. It is an obvious scam, but the old man has dementia. Probably early onset Alzheimer's and thinks he has won the money.

His son, knowing his father does not have many years left, decides to drive him to Nebraska in order to claim his fictitious prize.

The movie uncovers the old man's life for what it really was and who he really was. It is filled with great humor and an addictive plodding plot.

This is only one of two Oscar nominated BP films I have seen. The other was Captain Phillips. Certainly a decent movie but not near the caliber of film making that is Nebraska.

I hope to get to see 12 Years A Slave before the Oscar's because it is the favorite, though the film that wins is not always the best film. Life of Pi was certainly the best film last year and did not win.

Just thought I would give this little known film a boost as it is well deserving.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I give Nebraska a thumbs down.

It was extremely slow-moving and boring. I yawned at least twice while watching it which is never a good sign.

Captain Phillips, on the other hand, kept me on the edge of my seat. A much better film in my opinion.

Last edited:

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
It is probably because you are not plot and content driven. You are action driven.

No big deal, a lot of people are. My guess is that you hate Woody Allen films as well. Both directors use the same sort of tactics where you must buy into the characters as they develop.

Did you hate Sideways and The Descendents?

For me, with all big action films that we see which populate the box office, getting dialog based and character based films is a welcome change.

Nebraska was hilarious IMO. Probably not for everyone.