PDA

View Full Version : Crime Scene Procedure: Open Window

Dani
02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey =) I have a question regarding a crime scene with an open window in an apartment and a homicide victim. It's cold outside and the intruders have at least exited through the window.

Would a good police officer close it upon arriving or leave it open?

If he leaves it open, who would close the window and when? How long into the evidence recovery?

thank you!

Cathy C
02-28-2014, 03:38 PM
There's no way for an officer to know they exited through the window unless he observed it happen. He would leave it open until the appropriate team had gathered all the evidence. Fingerprint dusting, photos, searching for fibers along the windowsill, any blood splatter or trail, etc. Shutting the window could alter the scene. The cops would just button up and would work the window first so they could shut it as soon as possible.

cornflake
02-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Hey =) I have a question regarding a crime scene with an open window in an apartment and a homicide victim. It's cold outside and the intruders have at least exited through the window.

Would a good police officer close it upon arriving or leave it open?

If he leaves it open, who would close the window and when? How long into the evidence recovery?

thank you!

No halfway decent cop would touch the window. How do they know the perps left that way? Regardless of whether they do or don't know, they're not touching an open window in that situation unless they're dopey, which wouldn't be the first time but still.

Dani
02-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I thought as well, however, that still leaves by who and when the window would be closed.

Any ideas on how long before CSI would close it? Would it be sealed by plastic or something so they could gather evidence? Or gather evidence and then close it?

Cathy C
02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Is there a CSI team? That depends entirely on the size of the city/town. It might be that the arriving officer starts the investigation if it's a rural area.

'Who' is generally the incident commander, but what title that will be will vary from department to department. 'When' is when they're done. :Shrug: It might be an hour, it might be many hours. It depends entirely on the scene. But it will be locked (if the lock still works) at least when the scene is secured. If the lock is broken, someone might nail it shut or cover it with a board, or even call a company to fix the window/lock. A lot of departments have budgets for such things and contracts with companies to fix broken windows.

Dani
02-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Is there a CSI team?

It's Denver, so yeah =0).

':Shrug: It might be an hour, it might be many hours. It depends entirely on the scene.

I would have thought that they'd want to preserve the crime scene as much as possible and not have wind or or dust blown in and the bugs escaping out?

Cathy C
02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Ah! My old stomping grounds. Heck, that's easy. First, go here (http://www.denvergov.org/PoliceDepartment/CrimeInformation/CriminalInvestigations/tabid/442519/Default.aspx) and wander around to get a feel for things, and then contact the Public Information department (http://www.denvergov.org/police/PoliceDepartment/News/tabid/440754/Default.aspx), or even email at dpdpio at denvergov dot org and just ask. It's been a while since I contacted them, but I'll bet they have some information that would help. Nothing better than going to the source for such things. Of course, they can't give a step by step for obvious reasons, but a simple question of, "Hey, I'm writing a mystery novel and was wondering who would be the officer responsible for locking up a crime scene after everything is done?" Oh, sure, they'll probably ask you a few questions (including your name and address) to make sure you're not a future criminal in the making, but that's to be expected. Frankly, I like having contacts in the department and now that I've been published a few times, they pull up my name and find that I've been asking questions for some time. They let loose of more and more details when I ask weird questions. ;)

Dani
02-28-2014, 06:33 PM
=D Thanks, Cathy! That's awesome advice. gonna call them now.

Dani
02-28-2014, 07:47 PM
If anyone is reading, I got my answers from an officer Qineto, who was very funny and extremely nice.

They'd leave the window open until they were done at the crime scene. Usually there's a super or management, so that's who would close it later. If there wasn't one, then they'd close it and lock down the apt before they left.

WeaselFire
03-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Hey =)Would a good police officer close it upon arriving or leave it open?
A good police officer will clear the scene to make sure no one is still there, bad or good. They will then seal off the crime scene and only allow entry to medical personnel or investigators. They touch nothing. Ever.

The window will stay open until the scene is processed and released. Then an officer, possibly the same one if he's still on shift, will secure the premises, close and lock windows and doors and ensure the property is not open to burglaries or other crimes.

Jeff