PDA

View Full Version : Missed a phone call...

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 02:00 AM
So... an agent called me yesterday and left a message.

I didn't receive the message until late in the day when I returned the call. I ended up leaving a message for him later in the day and let him know that I'd call again in the morning since it was after normal business hours.

I did call again this morning and got the voicemail. Now I can't stop biting my nails, waiting.

I'm trying not to read anything into the call because I've heard all the stories about calls with rejections, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Has this happened to anyone? I've never received a phone call before about a novel and I know it's only been a day, but this is HUGE for me. Any tips?

Aggy B.
02-28-2014, 02:25 AM
So... an agent called me yesterday and left a message.

I didn't receive the message until late in the day when I returned the call. I ended up leaving a message for him later in the day and let him know that I'd call again in the morning since it was after normal business hours.

I did call again this morning and got the voicemail. Now I can't stop biting my nails, waiting.

I'm trying not to read anything into the call because I've heard all the stories about calls with rejections, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Has this happened to anyone? I've never received a phone call before about a novel and I know it's only been a day, but this is HUGE for me. Any tips?

I had an agent call me out of the blue (after having requested the full MS) and I stammered and flailed around like an idiot. Fortunately, he didn't hold that against me.

Before we had a second phone call, I read through some lists of "Questions you should ask an agent during a phone call", and made a list of other projects I was working on, and thought through my own goals for the book in question and what I wanted from my career.

Most of which I didn't need, because we wound up talking mostly about revisions to the book. (He is my agent now, though.)

If you don't hear back in the next couple of days, I would suggest sending him an email and letting him know some days/times that would be good for you to talk to him.

If you're like me, and nervous about talking on the phone, standing up and walking helps. But make sure you have a pen and a paper ready to write down notes or questions, etc.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be good news! :)

mrsmig
02-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Nothing to add except that my fingers are crossed for you, LadyLex!

Lauram6123
02-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Nothing to add except that my fingers are crossed for you, LadyLex!

Me too! Please update when you hear back, because I'm in suspense!

StoryG27
Me too! Please update when you hear back, because I'm in suspense!

Ditto!

LadyLex
Thanks Aggy B. and mrsmig! I've already worked on my list of questions. Guess I'm just nervous it's one of those phone call rejections. I'll wait a couple of days before reaching out again, if I haven't heard from the agent. I pray he calls before the weekend. I don't think I'll have any fingernails by the time he calls, though.

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 02:35 AM
Thanks Laura and Storygirl!

Becca C.
02-28-2014, 02:54 AM
I've never heard of a phone call rejection ;) Good luck!

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Thanks Becca! I read on a few sites about phone call rejections and it added to my anxiety. But I'm going to think positive. I've already listened to the message a dozen times (kind of pinching myself).

Giant Baby
02-28-2014, 05:37 AM
I've already worked on my list of questions.

Keep 'em in your pocket, LadyLex. This happened to me not too long ago, and I was totally caught off guard (I answered the call in real time, while at work, not knowing what it was... eesh). I flailed and sputtered. Voicemail is your friend. Really. At least you're a little ready for it.

I signed with that agent, despite the flailing and sputtering. It's worked out very nicely.

Good luck!!

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks Giant Baby! I looked at my phone and saw the strange phone number and I even dialed the number, but nothing happened, which was good because I couldn't talk at the time. Hours later, after I realized I left my phone in the car for most of the day, I saw that I had a voicemail. When I listened to the message, my stomach dropped (in an exciting, rollercoaster sort of way). Then, of course, I listened over and over again.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

thedark
02-28-2014, 06:29 AM
I just wanted to say..

Squeee!

I hope it's the "tell me more" call you are hoping.

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Me too thedark! I'm Squee'ing. I'll update once I hear something.

jcwriter
02-28-2014, 06:35 AM
I'm missing some context here. Did you submit a full to this agent?... Chapters?... Curious minds want to know!

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Oh, I did leave a lot out. I submitted a query in January. The agent requested a partial a few days later and the full a few hours after I sent the partial. I didn't hear anything else at that point, but wasn't too worried because I've queried before. Then I got the call yesterday. I wish I could have answered then maybe I wouldn't feel so nervous.

Becca C.
02-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Oh, I did leave a lot out. I submitted a query in January. The agent requested a partial a few days later and the full a few hours after I sent the partial. I didn't hear anything else at that point, but wasn't too worried because I've queried before. Then I got the call yesterday. I wish I could have answered then maybe I wouldn't feel so nervous.

This sounds very promising! So excited to hear how this turns out.

jcwriter
02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
I doubt if an agent is going to place a phone call to say it's an outright rejection. Most likely it's "the call", or at worst he's got editorial changes he wants you to consider.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Phone still attached to my hip, only two fingernails left... This is my first stop once I hear anything.

Jamesaritchie
02-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Best of luck. I assume phone call rejections happen, but every call I've had from an agent or an editor was good news.

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks James!

Fizgig
02-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Just chiming in to wish you good luck! While i have heard of phone rejections, my impression is that those are usually after you've already spoken to the agent about revisions or such. I would bet good money that, at worst, the agent is calling to talk about possible revisions. At best, they are calling to discuss representing you!

stormie
02-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Good luck and let us know how it goes when you two connect.

Yep, it's either if you're open to revising the manuscript and/or representation.

etherme
02-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Exciting! I've never heard of a "phone call rejection" either, so please keep us posted! :)

hester
02-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Ooooh, exciting!! Good luck LadyLex!!! :D

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I'm trying to figure out if I should call again. Or just wait. I want to call, but I don't want to seem pushy. I'll just wait.

stormie
02-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I know it's hard, but wait a bit. You left the voicemail yesterday and it's almost the weekend. You might not get a call again till Monday.

thedark
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Make a note on your calendar to send a follow-up email on.. say.. Tuesday, if you haven't heard. Then a note to call again on Thursday or Friday if you've heard nothing.

But I'm hoping for you that you hear yet today.

Cause... squee! Exciting!

LadyLex
02-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I won't call. It's eating me up, but I won't. Good idea thedark! I'll put a note on my calendar. Still hoping to hear today. This weekend will be one long weekend if I don't. lol

LadyLex
03-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Still no word. Call me crazy, but I'm so tempted to try and call again, but I don't want to seem bothersome.

thedark
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Breathe. Breathe... you can make it!

chompers
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
It's Monday, so things are probably hectic right now. If the agent doesn't call back by late tomorrow morning, I think it's perfectly acceptable to do a follow-up call in the early afternoon.

LadyLex
03-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the support. Tuesday afternoon is my scheduled follow-up call. Although I'm hoping I don't have to wait until tomorrow.

Aggy B.
03-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Agents always seem to move a little bit outside of real time. During the first phone call with my agent, he wanted me to send him a synopsis for the next two books and said he would call the following week. But it took about two and a half (weeks) for him to get back to me.

Patience is definitely a virtue I could use more of. :P

Giant Baby
03-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Hang in there! I know it's agony, but just think of it as practice for when you're out on submission! :D

Sending good thoughts.

Quickbread
03-03-2014, 11:44 PM
It sounds promising! Crossing my fingers for you.

Honestly, I would advise waiting a few days longer than tomorrow, which would be only 3 working days after your return call, yes? Also, I'd recommend against calling again. I think you can safely assume the agent got your message and will call you when he has the block of time to give you focused attention. An email nudge would be better, maybe toward the end of the week if you still haven't heard anything, offering a brief, polite and gentle reminder that you're available to talk whenever the agent is ready.

Agents get so busy. One unplanned situation can eat a whole day or more that they'd planned to use for other things -- like calling new authors and offering rep. If he was excited enough to call you the first time, he'll call again, and if he doesn't, would that be the kind of agent you want anyway? If you let the agent contact you on his own terms, you'll see how responsive he is overall. And that will give you realistic expectations for your working relationship, which is a priceless thing to know going in.

Debbie V
03-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Reading this thread is like waiting for a birth, especially the breathe breathe part.

I have to agree that you should e-mail with good times to call rather than calling. Of course, I may be typing this too late. Do let us know if it's a girl or a boy.

LadyLex
03-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the support. I may have good news tomorrow! Keeping fingers crossed.

Sapphire135
03-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Hang in there! I second (and third) what some of the other posters have said about agents moving slowly. It is so hard not to keep a constant vigil by the phone when you are expecting a call like this, but try to distract yourself with other things as much as you can so that the time moves a little quicker. :)

Ramshackle
03-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the support. I may have good news tomorrow! Keeping fingers crossed.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you here!

LadyLex
03-06-2014, 12:54 AM
I just want to thank all of you for your support!!!!! My fingernails are gone, but I finally spoke with the agent and I have an OFFER!!! So excited. I've already sent the nudge emails and I've heard back from another agent, who said she would get back to me by the deadline. So excited!!!

SQUEE!!!!

mccardey
03-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Waiting is probably best - but oh good grief, do come back and put us all out of our misery. This is worse than the HV submissions thread!

Fingers crossed!

PS: You may find yourself being all incoherent and unimpressive on the phone. Agents get used to that, I think. Don't beat yourself up. (I'm not an agent, but I'd be surprised if I'm wrong about that.)

Well done, you!! :partyguy:

Ramshackle
03-06-2014, 01:01 AM
I just want to thank all of you for your support!!!!! My fingernails are gone, but I have an OFFER!!! So excited. I've already sent the nudge emails and I've heard back from another agent. So excited!!!

SQUEE!!!!

:partyguy:

Fantastic - congratulations!!!!

stormie
03-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Whoa that's terrific! Now you have two agents on board.

Glad to hear such really great news!

Now go get a much-deserved manicure for those poor fingers! LOL

AndreaGS
03-06-2014, 01:10 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAY!! :partyguy:

Lauram6123
03-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Yea!! Congratulations!

LadyLex
03-06-2014, 01:30 AM
Whoa that's terrific! Now you have two agents on board.

Glad to hear such really great news!

Now go get a much-deserved manicure for those poor fingers! LOL

Only one. I meant to say that I finally talked to the agent, whose call I missed. And they offered! And a manicure is definitely in order. Thanks!

LadyLex
03-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Thank you SO much everyone! This all seems surreal. But I can't stop smiling.

Maggie Maxwell
03-06-2014, 01:33 AM
That's fantastic, LadyLex!! Congratulations!

Aggy B.
03-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Awesome news! :)

InkStainedWench
03-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your story and the good news, LadyLex!

Little Anonymous Me
03-06-2014, 01:45 AM
:hooray: Woot for the great news!!! :D :hooray:

Sapphire135
03-06-2014, 02:01 AM
So excited for you!!! What a great happy ending to the story :)

Siri Kirpal
03-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wonderful! :snoopy: :hooray: :snoopy:

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Wormwood
03-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Nice job, I love hearing success stories like this. I hope your submission process is seamless and you're on to a great publisher!

Giant Baby
03-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Congratulations!! :Thumbs:

LadyLex
03-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks again everyone!

Quickbread
03-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Congratulations, LadyLex!! Great news!! :)

chompers
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
It's so nice to come back to this and see good news. Congrats!

LadyLex
03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
This morning, I'm still in awe! Thanks again!

Debbie V
03-11-2014, 04:39 AM
I hope there are few edits and that submissions don't require more waiting. Congratz!

Cathy C
03-11-2014, 04:47 AM
Looking forward to the "I have an agent" thread! Congrats!

:Hug2:

LadyLex
03-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks! I was just thinking about putting up a thread. Not sure where to do that yet.

Stew21
03-13-2014, 06:48 PM
goals and accomplishments. :) or you can just put a post in the agent's thread in BRBC. :)

And CONGRATS!!!

kenpochick
03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
YAY!

LadyLex
03-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Thank you everyone!

ReflectedGray
03-14-2014, 12:13 AM
I just wanted to add my congratulations! I saw the post title and got all intrigued then started flipping through the responses trying to find a result. I'm so happy that it was such a good one.

Good luck in the exciting next phase!

LadyLex
03-14-2014, 02:57 AM
Thank you!

Victor Clairmont
03-19-2014, 04:51 AM
I know this thread was started in like Feb. and it's march now (I'm new) but I was reading the posts all the way up till you said you got the agent! ARRRGGG! Congrats! (Belated)

LadyLex
03-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Victor!!!

xYinxx
04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Congratulations on the good news. :D

LadyLex
04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Thank you!

mscourtmcginnis
04-19-2014, 02:56 AM
I know it's been a bit of time since this thread first started, but congratulations!!!

LadyLex
04-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you!